Quantcast

Technique & My Fear of Sharp Corners

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I ride almost exclusively on the Desert Classic in SoMo. I've fallen quite a bit over the past few months due to rustyness and basic lack of bike control, the most common spill I take occurs when I'm rounding a corner at med-high speed. The front tire starts to slip in the loose sand and the bike ends up sliding to the outside of the turn while I tip over in the direction I'm leaning.

I'm trying to not turn the wheel so much and lean the bike, but I think my body is leaning too much with the bike. Would that make sense? What is your thought process going through sandy turns at high speeds?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
It may not be so much a technique issue as your tire setup. If you are running something like Hutchinson Pythons all you have to do is look at sand and the bike falls over. I have had good luck with tires like WTB Exiwolf 2.1's and now I am running Specialized Adrenalines on 2 of my bikes. These things rail. I ride that area a lot too and although I don't power the corners excessively hard I haven't had a problem with sliding out.

Be careful man, I saw the picture of that leg. And oh, sorry but I had to snicker at the shower post. That was priceless. :thumb:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I rode the Classic a couple weeks ago on some Maxxis CrossMarks and could fly through the sand "pits" but fast cornering was impossible. A buddy was running a 2.5 Kujo and a 2.7 Big Earl and had the opposite results.