Quantcast

Technology is out of control…

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
my first computer job was doing a backup on a main frame for this title company circa 1990. it was a drum type and like 40 freaking megabytes! it's stack was like 6 plates. crazy!
my first MFM drive was 20 mg. i was like that's WAY too much storage space what would you ever do with all the storage?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Toninator said:
my first MFM drive was 20 mg. i was like that's WAY too much storage space what would you ever do with all the storage?
I know, pretty crazy how far things have come.

One thing that sticks out in my mind (aside from working on lots of computers without hard drives at all), was that about a year after we got our first Pentium (it was a Pentium 60 - the one that ran about 3x as hot as the Pentium 66 which came out later that year), my dad came home with a 1.2gb drive one day. He said that the deal he got on it was insane and it was such cheap storage and it was so huge that he couldn't pass it up. He paid $349 for it.

How much did you pay for that 1gb solid-state chip the size of a quarter, Crashby? :p

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
binary visions said:
I know, pretty crazy how far things have come.

One thing that sticks out in my mind (aside from working on lots of computers without hard drives at all), was that about a year after we got our first Pentium (it was a Pentium 60 - the one that ran about 3x as hot as the Pentium 66 which came out later that year), my dad came home with a 1.2gb drive one day. He said that the deal he got on it was insane and it was such cheap storage and it was so huge that he couldn't pass it up. He paid $349 for it.

How much did you pay for that 1gb solid-state chip the size of a quarter, Crashby? :p
my boss in 93/94 was braggin bout the drives he just bought for the company. 2, 8gig drives. i think he paid 12g for them and was like "i have one to work off of and the other as a backup in kind of a RAID, i'm not sure what that is but it sounds important."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I remember my first computer IBM PC Junior didnt' have a hard drive. It ran off DOS discs.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Crashby said:
1 GB memory for my cell (trans flash)...

I can watch the full version of Office Space on my phone. Full MP3 player as well... :thumb:
Ok, I'll take the bait. If you can fit a full length movie on a gig with space to spare your screen is about the size of that quarter. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love techno junk myself. My productivity is literally in the toilet now that I can watch "The Office" in my iPod while I take a sh!t here at work.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
justsomeguy said:
That's very funny. Way off the mark, but still funny.
What significant advancements have they made? 99.9% of cars still use internal combustion engines, even though anyone with a brain knows that if they tried they could come up with something better. But that would mean less dependence on oil, and therefore less reasons to invade Arab countries, and less tax revenue for the government. Oh damn, I'm guilty of taking a thread down the political forum road :p

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
binary visions said:
Its actually smaller than a dime...

It was about $75 with an adapter and USB thumb drive.

... and you are right... Ill probably show the movie 2-3 times to people I want so desperately to impress, and then never touch that feature again...

...."I said no! No salt on the Margarita!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here is an old floppy from some industrial programming units we occasionally have to use around here. That is a quarter in the lower right corner. Disk holds 128 Bytes, not Kilobytes but bytes.

Attachments

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I was looking for a picture of a gigantic hard drive from the early 70's but came across this instead.

The ultimate in geek furniture! :thumb:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Echo said:
What significant advancements have they made?
More powerful, durable and efficient engines (including electronic engine management).

More durable and efficient drivetrains.

More powerful and reliable braking systems that handle much higher thermal loads for longer periods of time.

Improved suspenions sytems (from suspension geometry to shocks)

Electronic safety nannies like ABS and stability control systems.

Longer lasting, grippier, quieter tires.

Cars that are much safer (crumple zones, air bags, etc.)

A dozen cup holders that can also accomodate Big Gulps and enough Vente Lattes to choke a herd of soccer Mom's.

This list goes on and on...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I think I have a $20,000 sgi boat anchor floating around here somewhere. You could heat a small apartment tenement with that thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
justsomeguy said:
More powerful, durable and efficient engines (including electronic engine management).

More powerful and reliable braking systems that handle much higher thermal loads for longer periods of time.

A dozen cup holders that can also accomodate Big Gulps and enough Vente Lattes to choke a herd of soccer Mom's.

Most of that isn't new technology. It had been around just not applied to cars, with the exception of the electronic control. The technology for ABS and airbags has been around since the early 70's.

splat

Nam I am
Crashby said:
aren't you supposed to be in labor or something??? :love:
Yeah Tree saw , I have you down for 5am tommorow morning , so Get pushing woman!!! :D

justsomeguy said:

But other than Maybe elctronic iginition , what real advances in the engine technology have there been ? it is still ineffcient as hell!

but you did forget to mention electronic Butt warmers in the seats :love:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
Most of that isn't new technology. It had been around just not applied to cars, with the exception of the electronic control. The technology for ABS and airbags has been around since the early 70's.
Not to mention that I wouldn't categorize any of those as "significant" steps..........

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
well you have to admit he does have you on the cup holder thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
well you have to admit he does have you on the cup holder thing.
Cup holder technology is simply concurrent with cup technology. There weren't any high-tech 192 oz mega gulps 20 years ago.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Tenchiro said:
I was looking for a picture of a gigantic hard drive from the early 70's but came across this instead.

that's kind of what mine looked like but about a 1/4 the size and there were 6 plates.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I remember buying the very first Powerbook when I went away to my second year of college. It was a 4/40 (4 MB RAM/40 MB harddrive) and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

When I graduated I worked for a company that was doing multimedia training on CD. They bought a dedicated MPEG machine that cost about $30,000. Now you can do the same thing on any cheap computer.

Funny.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Cup holder technology is simply concurrent with cup technology. There weren't any high-tech 192 oz mega gulps 20 years ago.
I think you are failing to recognize the real genius behind advanced cup design mechanics. That and sting theory together could quite possibly explode the universe.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
splat said:
But other than Maybe elctronic iginition , what real advances in the engine technology have there been ? it is still ineffcient as hell!
Electronic engine management is by itself a big advance that has made engines more efficient, more reliable and less susceptible to issues related to octane variation.

Forced induction technology, variable valve timing and fuel injection have also made giant leaps since the mid-70s.

There have been many changes.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Westy said:
Most of that isn't new technology. .
I was answering a question about advancements, not new technology.

HTH.

The fact is that automotive technology has made much more than "baby steps" in the last 30 years.

splat

Nam I am
justsomeguy said:
Electronic engine management is by itself a big advance that has made engines more efficient, more reliable and less susceptible to issues related to octane variation.

Forced induction technology, variable valve timing and fuel injection have also made giant leaps since the mid-70s.

There have been many changes.
I wouldn't call that Inovation to the automotive technology advances , but more advances to the Tolorances and Manufacturing ability. those have all been around since the 60's 70's they just could not make the parts to the tolorances needed.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Tenchiro said:

LOL, my dad's been in computers since the early 80s and we have one of those hanging in our basement. :p Can't say I've ever even seen a machine that they'd work with though. :rolleyes: :)