Quantcast

Ted Williams in jeopardy

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
i'm just passing this along (from MTBR thread). i'm the last person to preach, but just wanted to let folks know what is going on. below is what someone posted, this spot could see its days numbered, some fences are already up.

again, not preaching, but it doesn't help to have an organized race here, posted on youtube and a sh#tload of trash leftover and also lots of shuttle trucks parking up top. just try to keep a semi-low profile if possible. woudl be a shame to loose this place.
thanks

-------------------------------------------------
My info comes from inside info at the Poway Sheriffs Dept. I've been riding out there for over 15 years. I worked at he the local shop for years and the majority of our XC team trained out there (the backyard). About 6 years ago, it was kind of the beggining of the end. We started to see new trails carved all over the place, jumps being built... Nothing against you gravity guys, but you might as well have put in a chairlift. This actually caused the PSD to look into who the landowner was so they could find out what was going on. The owner who lived out of State flew in as he had no idea was was going on.

The kicker was that he went out and bought a bunch of no trespassing signs to cover himself so he wouldn't be liable when someone busted themselves up. Well, that lasted about 2 days as every one of his signs were torn down and destroyed. So he has hired somone local to manage it and put in permits to have the property POSTED. The property lies on both Poway and San Diego limits, thus the 2 permits.

Once POSTED, this will allow the PSD and SDPD to activley police it. I've been told that the first citation is a $1000 fine with no reduction in fine if the represenitive of the property shows to court.

Maybe I'm just a dick, but I've never understood the rational to bring in tools, and carve up a huge piece of property that you don't own, and have no permission to be on. I guess I'm old school. My mom would always ask "is that yours", I'd say "no!" She say "then don't F'ing touch it"
-------------------------------------------

all these f-ing people and their stupid laws, TW is basically the last place in SD to ride, if this goes up in flames, we're pretty much screwed!!!

no-one ever got the inch to take the mile, we all just have nowhere to ride and nowhere to build, so people found a giant open accessable hillside and made some trails! hell, the landowner should me more concerned with the immigrant camp on his property than us downhillers getting hurt!

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
all these f-ing people and their stupid laws, TW is basically the last place in SD to ride, if this goes up in flames, we're pretty much screwed!!!

no-one ever got the inch to take the mile, we all just have nowhere to ride and nowhere to build, so people found a giant open accessable hillside and made some trails! hell, the landowner should me more concerned with the immigrant camp on his property than us downhillers getting hurt!
Your last sentance is funny.
I'll try to get some solid info on this.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
dude heres a kleenex............."TW is basically the last place in SD to ride" .........classic.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
great riding there... not into the freeride/jump crap... but not too surprising about "potential" fines/closure/etc... building has kinda gona a bit overboard in certain sections there. i don't think it'll be a huge issue unless people in the top community start complaining. or if someone gets hurts & starts sueing everyone (a la Big Bear)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
dude heres a kleenex............."TW is basically the last place in SD to ride" .........classic.
dont have money or time to go to Noble, lost in Otay and the mountains around there, and dont know really anywhere else to go for DH.
if someone could point me in the direction of a better, easily shuttleable, flowy DH trail(s), i'd take that back, but so far, this is it for me...

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Anybody wanna build some new hits and ladder drops near the culdesac? I've got access to a bobcat. We could get all crazy and build a gap accross the street into the soccer field and then a wall ride up onto the school.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
ive done my fair share of hiking my 53 pound monster up Off-Camber
You know there's a fire road, right?

Anywho, it sucks, but with the semi-recent popularity attributed to the start of races, it's not the least bit surprising. As for TW being the last place to ride in SD, give me a break.

Thanks to the idiots that decide their mistakes are someone else's fault and those who can't seem to pack out what they pack in, we might a great trail system...again.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
ive done my fair share of hiking my 53 pound monster up Off-Camber and because i ride with whoever can drive me and they always shuttle,i grab the oppourtunity whenever it comes around...

my handicap:
a BB that allows me to ride over buildings... lol
yea it is a joke people shuttle TW (i'm not opposed to shuttling in general). but for TW, classic. i always beat the shuttlers riding from the bottom when they shuttle. it is a joke to shuttle, the descents last 2 minutes, drive 10 minutes way around. it takes 10-15 minutes to climb that place.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
If you have a bike that's easy to pedal up... I have a 50lbs bike and I still manage to pedal up half of the place, but it take's me longer than 15min, given I'm no climber. But I too prefer pushing teds, but it's not a 10-15 min. PUSH, which is what most would do if on a full on DH rig.
But I don't think riding was the main issue with that spot. Every time I've shuttled, the neighborhood locals have always driven by w/ a smile and a wave. I think the issue is mainly 50's, teens drinking out there, and people living out there (which I don't think is an issue, better than on the street).
The new fence is obviously aimed at motorized vehicles, not bikes and hikers. But, Teds is abused, by everyone, not just 50's, teens, and immigrants. I think the people who are complaining both here, and on mtbr, about the possible loss of teds have nothing to complain about unless they've worked on keeping that place up themselves.

Well put.
Its been awhile since I've ridden out at Calaveras, so I forgot about what an impact 50ers have on what people think of a place and the people who ride it...

Does anyone knoe if there has been a history of landowners out there? Because if this guy is new, he could just be pissy like the guy who bought the strech of land between Calaveras and Flightline recently... I remeber when Cory and I started riding, we used the fire road back there to get from Calaveras to Flightline and then one day we were out there and this guy comes from out of nowhere and yells at us to get off his property...

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Does anyone knoe if there has been a history of landowners out there? Because if this guy is new, he could just be pissy...
That really doesn't matter. A pissy owner or a nice owner are the same thing... OWNERS. We don't own the land so we're at the whim of the man. My sled is getting closer and closer to the clasifieds.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Deng, you junkies bitch a lot and so much worst than racers.
It's not like what peeps did or have done to the place (and other hush hush places) weren't begging for it to get shutdown. This happens and has happened many many times in many places.

Case in point:

Adapt and learn (and learn to keep it low), and accept the fact that landowners can do whatever the hell they want to their land. We are not entitled to anything and we are our own worst enemy.

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Ted Williams is a great place but I think we won't keep it forever if we think the only way to preserve it is to keep it secret. I built many jumps or bmx track as a kid in Europe and always at some point the bulldozers came or something happened. The only sucess came when people are associated in clubs, associations or whatever and build agreements with landowners, city, county...etc. That's a shame to have such a big mountain bikers (especially downhill/freeride riders) community in the area and so little places to ride...

So Cal biker

Monkey
Oct 24, 2006
la jolla california
ted is my only place to ride. a few weeks ago i saw a bunch of elementry school kids riding......rooling the jumps at ted. next boy scouts will be camping on the trail. people already walk there dogs and hike there

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I actually went there today, as as always the riding is great. But it is also the only place for me to ride around here. Someone just needs to talk to the land owner/sheriff about this. When I went there today, there was a new fence put there at the end of the street, blocking the hip jump.

Such a shame to watch this place disappear.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ok people. this happens at the beginning of every summer. personally i wont believe ted is shut down until i actually am not able to ride there anymore. besides its twp. has anyone been given or seen anyone being given a ticket or having their bike taken away? i dont see any steel walls across trails. im gonna keep riding there