Quantcast

Tell Me About Hardtail Trailbike Frames...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Nobody mentions the Cove handjob?

Great bike, cheap and made in Canada. Love mine, but haven't ridden much lately.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You're one to talk about bike whoring. :busted:
I go through my fair share of bikes.....but when someone asks for advice I try and give good advice.

He's got a Cove Stiffee FR frame and people are recommending Sovereigns, Chameleons, Ridges etc. - essentially the same thing he's already got. Sure his frame is older and was labeled FR then - but now his frame is basically an all mountain hardtail.

Why by a whole new bike when he can save his frame and just get a newer/lighter fork and maybe a newer/lighter/snappier wheelset and achieve the same results?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
I go through my fair share of bikes.....but when someone asks for advice I try and give good advice.

He's got a Cove Stiffee FR frame and people are recommending Sovereigns, Chameleons, Ridges etc. - essentially the same thing he's already got. Sure his frame is older and was labeled FR then - but now his frame is basically an all mountain hardtail.

Why by a whole new bike when he can save his frame and just get a newer/lighter fork and maybe a newer/lighter/snappier wheelset and achieve the same results?
I'm into this line of thinking as the fork is too burly anyways. I could replace the fork first and see how I do. I just won't hack down the steerer too much.

See my last post...any suggestions?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

What you said totally makes sense, I'm just giving you sh*t. :D

I agree that if you're going to get a new bike, it might as well be something different, i.e. lighter/ steeper angles, if you're looking to speed things up a bit. Otherwise, like MMcG said, a lighter wheelset and/or fork might make a lot more sense.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm into this line of thinking as the fork is too burly anyways. I could replace the fork first and see how I do. I just won't hack down the steerer too much.

See my last post...any suggestions?
Get yourself a nice new Fox. Something light with adjustment. I need burly forks because I'm fat and old. But I have accepted that and deal with a heavy front.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
what's up with the QR15? Would I need a new hub (have 20mm now)?
It's a pointless new standard. No lighter than a 20mm axle, barely stiffer than a 9mm QR, and yes, it does require a different hub, unless you happen to have one that's convertible.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
It's a pointless new standard. No lighter than a 20mm axle, barely stiffer than a 9mm QR, and yes, it does require a different hub, unless you happen to have one that's convertible.
seems like a bad move, but what do i know? I started looking at RockShox just because of the qr15.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The one thing to remember - your Cove was designed around a longer travel fork - I'm guessing 130mm at a minimum - so I wouldn't go lower than that. With that said - there are a slew of forks that would fit the bill and probably be a pound or two pounds lighter than your Z1.

Also your current wheelset is a bit heavy.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
The one thing to remember - your Cove was designed around a longer travel fork - I'm guessing 130mm at a minimum - so I wouldn't go lower than that. With that said - there are a slew of forks that would fit the bill and probably be a pound or two pounds lighter than your Z1.
So maybe a Pike or Revelation?

Also your current wheelset is a bit heavy.
Any suggestions? Planning on picking up some Nevegals to replace the Tioga DH's. What's the sweet spot on wheels? Is there an Ultegra/Open Pro equivalent? A disc wheel you can't beat for the money?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
How much do you weigh and all that kinda stuff -and how do you currently ride that Cove? Do you do drops? Jumps? hucks? or do you just ride it with wheels on the ground for the most part?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
How much do you weigh and all that kinda stuff -and how do you currently ride that Cove? Do you do drops? Jumps? hucks? or do you just ride it with wheels on the ground for the most part?
I'm 6'1, 190 lbs or so. No jumps (at least not dirt jump style). Definitely no hucks. Mostly wheels on the ground. I like technical climbs and fast downhills. I never go super fast XC racing.

I guess you could say I dick around in the woods :redface:

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
You'd better lay out some budget constraints before some people here tell you that the only way to go is with Industry Nine and Edge Composites.

I will give a suggestion that your fork have adjustable travel, i.e. u-turn, talas, etc. that way you can play with the amount of travel that you like on your frame. They are more expensive though.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
You'd better lay out some budget constraints before some people here tell you that the only way to go is with Industry Nine and Edge Composites.

I will give a suggestion that your fork have adjustable travel, i.e. u-turn, talas, etc. that way you can play with the amount of travel that you like on your frame. They are more expensive though.
don't want I9's, Chris King or anything that fancy (and no carbon).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't gotten a whole new bike in forever, it seems. I go through cycles where I'll get a new frame and swap over, or a new fork, or a new build kit.

My current bike started as a used frame and fork with new build kit. I didn't like the fork, so I sold it and got a new one. Then I decided the frame was too much, so I sold it and got another used one. Then the cranks and guide didn't work on the new frame, so I replaced those.

Now I'm happy until next year when I decide to get something else. I will change the tires soon because these suckers are like 8 pounds each.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
sorry 'bout the hand-holding....appreciate all the advice. how does this sound?

current **** to swap: Z1 FR QR20, Singletrack/Ringle 20mm, Rhyno Lite XL/XT Disc, Tioga 2.3 DH

replace with: RS Revelation Air (maxle), those Easton AM wheels, 2.5" Nevagals

worthy upgrades?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
one more question. i swear

thinking of trying a Stan's setup with the wheels. Will those Eastons work well with Nevegals? I'm sure I'm reaching here, but maybe someone has had that setup

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
the absolute best trailbike frame out there right now is the Transition Trans-Am, i have been riding this bike for the past 2 months and basically dont ride anything else in the stable. It is well priced and a rock on the trail and i have ridden both Evil's and Santa Cruz trail bike frames in the past:

that looks nice. what's the head angle on that bad boy?