Quantcast

Tell me THIS isn't pimped out...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wish I could keep them both... :drool: :drool: :drool:

USB ports didn't work in my original monitor, so I got a warrenty replacement. The question is, will they really track me down and arrest me if I keep it? :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Keep em both. Dual monitors rock.

Sadly I am down to one monitor connected to my laptop since my less then a year old mobo took a dump on me! NEVER buy Foxconn!

When my new Shuttle board gets here we'll be back up and running the duals. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
Keep em both. Dual monitors rock.
I'm just worried that a big, burly guy in a dark suit is going to knock on my door and say, "Dude! You've got our Dell! Now you're getting a broken leg!" :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
What printer is that? Does it do large format?
See my other thread :D

No, it doesn't do large format. It's an HP Photosmart 8450 - HP's current flagship consumer printer. Very nice machine if you don't need to print bigger than 8.5x14" (legal). It'll print boarderless photos up to 8.5x14" though, and the three tone grey cartridge makes for some fantastic B&W prints.

One of these days I'll invest in a large format printer, but that will come after my purchase of a dSLR and some lenses.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
See my other thread :D

No, it doesn't do large format. It's an HP Photosmart 8450 - HP's current flagship consumer printer. Very nice machine if you don't need to print bigger than 8.5x14" (legal). It'll print boarderless photos up to 8.5x14" though, and the three tone grey cartridge makes for some fantastic B&W prints.

One of these days I'll invest in a large format printer, but that will come after my purchase of a dSLR and some lenses.
We're looking at the Canon i9900.

:help:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
We're looking at the Canon i9900.

:help:
Is the :help: because you don't want to spend $500, or because you want advice?

If you want advice, I'd say jump on it - but only if you need large format capabilities. It's extremely expensive to print those large format pictures, between the cost of paper and the cost of ink. If you don't need the large format capability - and I can't really see myself printing a lot at 13x19", since I rarely even print 8x10s - printers of similar quality can be had for $200+ less. My 8450 can be had for street prices of around $250 now (I got it for Christmas when it was around $300).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
Is the :help: because you don't want to spend $500, or because you want advice?

If you want advice, I'd say jump on it - but only if you need large format capabilities. It's extremely expensive to print those large format pictures, between the cost of paper and the cost of ink. If you don't need the large format capability - and I can't really see myself printing a lot at 13x19", since I rarely even print 8x10s - printers of similar quality can be had for $200+ less. My 8450 can be had for street prices of around $250 now (I got it for Christmas when it was around $300).
:help: because we are low balling it looking at that one.

We're going to use it for business and art/home stuff.

13" x 19" black and white and transparencies and the occasional big-ass photo.

:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
spincrazy said:
Not to be a douche, but where is the PIMP-ness exactly? Perhaps I am missing something.
Right there is dual 19" Dell UltraSharp 1905FP digital flat panels, hooked up in a dual monitor setup to my video card, so I have 2x the screen real estate.

In case you didn't know, LCD panels are measured based on screen size instead of monitor size, so they're approximately equivalent to the size of a 21" CRT.

Those babies run about $400 retail.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah it's pimp. Ah hu! The only thing is, when they hit your cc for keeping the bad one, is it worth whatever they charge or are you better off finding one on sale (check www.bensbargains.net, there's deals on the 19s very frequetnly - none at the moment, but wait till tonight). I think the last time I saw a sale, the 19s were going for $270 or so. The 20s were going for $450 ballpark. I've got one of those 20s and love it. Now if I can just get a 24 wide format (for the middle as I don't think the height is any taller than the standard 20), and another 20 standard (for the other side), I'll have a STUPID display setup, perfect for flight sim games :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
Yeah it's pimp. Ah hu! The only thing is, when they hit your cc for keeping the bad one, is it worth whatever they charge or are you better off finding one on sale (check www.bensbargains.net, there's deals on the 19s very frequetnly - none at the moment, but wait till tonight). I think the last time I saw a sale, the 19s were going for $270 or so. The 20s were going for $450 ballpark. I've got one of those 20s and love it. Now if I can just get a 24 wide format (for the middle as I don't think the height is any taller than the standard 20), and another 20 standard (for the other side), I'll have a STUPID display setup, perfect for flight sim games :D
I know, I'm kidding - I've already got the old one boxed up to ship to them.

I check Ben's Bargains every day, that's where I got the monitor in the first place. Well, that's where I showed my girlfriend the deal and that's where she got the monitor for me ;).

It was down to $261 when we got it, picked it up at the end of Dell's fiscal quarter so they dropped prices to make some sales numbers. I was pissed when I saw it for $231 the next week but the cupon code was dead before it even got published.

Frankly, I'm not quite sure why anyone would shell out almost $900 (that's when they're on a deal, too) for a 24" widescreen when you could have FAR more screen real estate and save a lot of money by going with a dual 19" setup. Although I think the 24" WS would just fit in my desk's hutch ;)

That would be a great flight sim setup, but I don't do flight sims... I suppose for a hardcore gamer or someone who watches a lot of movies on their computer, a 24" WS is the only option if you want a single big screen.

I figure when Dell announces a successor to the 1905FP, prices will come down even more and I might pick up a second one then. What I'd really love is to get two VESA wall-mount arms and mount each one on the wall, but I don't think the management of the apartment complex would really appreciate me drilling 8 or more large holes in the wall.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and unfortunately, my new monitor does have one dead pixel. Not really a big deal but I was impressed when I got my last monitor with zero dead or stuck pixels. My USB ports work great now, though, and they fixed the firmware problem where the brightness control didn't work. I never turn my brightness down below 100% anyway, but it's still nice that all the monitor controls work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
Me @ work: Dual HP L2335 :D

I pimp your ass.
I hate you.

But, on the other hand, you can't put Doom 3 on those babies ;)

I hear those HPs are pretty nice. I would have considered a HP monitor, but they just don't run the kind of deals that Dell does. Dell consistantly runs $150+ off their monitors.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
hehehe.. you'll love this one the:
www.costco.com - Sceptre 37" LCD w/ DVI input for $1775, about $2K to your door. It'll do 1080P which is 1920x1080. But at that size, that resolution is HUGE. Would make movie watchin' on the 'puter some kind of special, especially since I hooked my machine into a 600w 5.1 Shurwood surround amp that's driving Infinity Minuettes and a 10" sub :D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
binary visions said:
I hate you.

But, on the other hand, you can't put Doom 3 on those babies ;)

I hear those HPs are pretty nice. I would have considered a HP monitor, but they just don't run the kind of deals that Dell does. Dell consistantly runs $150+ off their monitors.
Re-raise pimp:

Me at work = 2 30" Apple Cinema Displays