Quantcast

Tensioner question...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all... jumping on the SS bandwagon and converting my old 03 KHS Comp softtail. I've got everything together and can't wait to take some pics (and ride it, of course) but I've got a question first.

Regarding the tensioner...Should I:

A) Size the chain from cog to chainring without the tensioner, THEN put the tensioner to take up the tiny bit of slack leftover?

OR

B) do I size the chain including the tensioner?

Right now I am running option B... but it just seems that there will be a LOT of chain slap going on. I'm thinking maybe I need to run option A, but didn't want to fudge something up or put too much strain on the tensioner spring. What say ya'll?

I'll post pics early next week :D

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
As it happens EVERY time I post a question (just to make me look like a moron) I find the answer... so... nevermind.

BUT I will still post pics when I'm done. :D

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I'm gonna work on it tonight... option A. I was given the tensioner by a guy who decided not to convert his bike. I'm pretty sure it is an earlier model Surly Singulator.

And I'm thinking I need to reverse the spring so the tensioner pushes UP against the chain. Right now it's pushing down like a regular derailleur.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
The Surly is a POS IMO, the Renen is it.

With the Surly you have to preload the spring while tightening the tensioner on the dropout, it's tricky.

I tried one and only gave me trouble, it's on my around the block ss gathering dust.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
The Surly is a POS IMO, the Renen is it.

With the Surly you have to preload the spring while tightening the tensioner on the dropout, it's tricky.

I tried one and only gave me trouble, it's on my around the block ss gathering dust.
Perhaps that is why it was just given to me. :D But since I'm not willing to spend $50 on a tensioner (that Rennen DOES look good), I'll fudge around with the Surly for a bit.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
The Surly's are super finicky. You will def. need a cone wrench to get the correct tension, although I found that tightening the tensioner by hand then putting the chain on was helpfull ( then again I did bend the spring..) There is nothing worse than powering up a steep hill, having your chain skip and slamming your knee into the stem. That being said my new SS has a Rennen..

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
If you're going to push up mode also tie it with zip ties to the chainstay if possible, they sometimes loose the tension and drop.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I figured...the comment had to be made though.

If I don't have horizontal drops my preferred tensioner is an old used shortcage road mech, they have quite strong springs and the price can't be beat. I got one for free/cheap a long time ago and it works great. See what your shop has floating around or do some dumpster diving.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Got everything together and went for my first ride yesterday. The tensioner did great with no problems whatsoever, though I DO need to tighten the spring down a bit more. I'm running a 36/16 (going to switch to an 18) which was brutal on the hills. But I cleared a long, switchback technical uphill that I never did on my geared bike. :D Loved it!

Couple of pics... post-ride.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
If you are pushing up that much, take out links.
That, or if you need that much chain, switch it to push down mode.

btw, that neighborhood looks very similar to where I grew up in Tucson. (La Canada / Magee area) I'm so jealous right now of your ability to ride dry trails. Enjoy the SS.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Thanks you guys. I can't take out any more links... don't have the room. But I think when I put in the 18tooth cog it will improve... and I"m thinking of using a half link? Forgot to add that I just hand-tightened the spring when installing, hence why it is up so far. A buddy of mine is going to lend me the proper cone wrench so I can really tighten that tensioner down. (Gonna buy a cone wrench soon). I'd prefer not to go to push down mode and keep as much chain on the cog as possible.

peter... probably going to increase your jealousy but yeah right now it's in the mid 80's and sunny. I live in midtown now... Grant/Columbus area.