Quantcast

Tentative Cackalacky-Jackson Riding Trip Early September

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hey Monkey-doodles, *probably* buying a truck in Charlotte. Planning on flying there with my bike to drive it home. MUCH thanks to JStuhlman if this happens. Anyone wanna ride? Western NC for a day or two? I have never ridden Pisgah etc. probably coming through in 7-10 days from now?
Then planning on a few rides in Bentonville, and a day in Denver/etc. Would love to rally with some new people!

So…which bike? :busted:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ooo, you'll enjoy Pisgah. I wish it were closer. But it's 24 hours drive with FA worthwhile in between.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fx'd

Yeah, actually it looks like the dirt road up to Yancey is closed to cars but open to hikers and bikers.
hrm. craig creek has been like that for 2 years but as far as i know roseboro is open, as are pineola and edgemont. checking with a buddy who just did some trailwork up there today.

@rideit - my schedule is kind of nuts over the next week but i could maybe show you the backcountry gnurz in the other/better pisgah on the 8th or 9th... and the angry one is in winston salem.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Historic rain fall in Transylvania county, i.e. 17in in 24 hours, or something like that has done some serious damage to Pisgah Ranger District. Lots of roads and bridges washed out. Bridge right before the Daniel Ridge parking lot is gone. A lot of forest roads are going to be closed for some time. The ground is heavily saturated and trees are still falling. The rangers are asking that folks suspend their recreational activities for a while.

From what I can tell there are some options available currently around the Black Mountain and Avery Creek trails. Perhaps more will be open when you roll through, @rideit.

check out the pics posted on mtbr:

scroll down

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Historic rain fall in Transylvania county, i.e. 17in in 24 hours, or something like that has done some serious damage to Pisgah Ranger District. Lots of roads and bridges washed out. Bridge right before the Daniel Ridge parking lot is gone. A lot of forest roads are going to be closed for some time. The ground is heavily saturated and trees are still falling. The rangers are asking that folks suspend their recreational activities for a while.

From what I can tell there are some options available currently around the Black Mountain and Avery Creek trails. Perhaps more will be open when you roll through, @rideit.

check out the pics posted on mtbr:

scroll down

yeah, maybe the black mountain/bennet side might be open...but what i'd show you is in the grandfather district/wilson creek area which is near blowing rock and a bit more backcountry....you could hit it for the day on your way out to ashevegas/brevard.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
hrm. craig creek has been like that for 2 years but as far as i know roseboro is open, as are pineola and edgemont. checking with a buddy who just did some trailwork up there today.

@rideit - my schedule is kind of nuts over the next week but i could maybe show you the backcountry gnurz in the other/better pisgah on the 8th or 9th... and the angry one is in winston salem.

Hurricane Isabel dropped over 20" of rain on Sherando in less than a day in 2003. Several house (small house) size boulders appeared seemingly from nowhwere in the normal trickling stream you have to cross a few times.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The other Pisgah is pretty damn cool. Just make sure you ride with someone like @jstuhlman who knows the way because trails are very poorly marked and on some seriously rugged terrain. You will have no shortage of rawks on any route you choose.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I have been wanting to do another Pisgah epic this year. Would love to do the monster route I did a few years ago starting at the Horse Stables.

Clawhammer rd to Black Mountain
L on BM
Down Avery Creek
R on dirt rd, 477
Pass Bennet Gap to Club Gap trail
Down Buckwheat Knob to 477
Bennet Gap to 477
L back to Horse Stables

This ride starts with an hour long climb on a gated forest service road called Clawhammer. It has some spectacular views and some classic Pisgah single track. It took me just under seven hours to complete solo. Since then Avery Creek and some of BM have been rebuilt. Would like to check them out. Also I wasn't into backpacking then and would cary a full 3L of water. Which is fucking stupid because you are surrounded by water. So this time I'll take my water filter and enough food to play all day in the woods.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@rideit, depending on what day I may be able to show you around some open trails. I do know that Spencer>Trace is running good and usually a fun one for visitors.
Oh Hell yeah, @rideit can most definitely get his rawk fix on Trace Ridge. 15 years ago when I lived up there it was pretty mellow but fast. Now it’s eroded and mega chunky. Also a good loop if you don’t have all day to ride.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Two things about Pisgah, most rides start with a long climb, 45 min to 2 hours and most rides take at least 3 hours or more total. Locals usually knock out 8 hour rides on Sunday.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Ooh, just remember another way to hit Trace. Park at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek and ride up to 5 points then on to Greenslick. Then up Sidehill to Bent Creek rd and up to the parkway and down Wash Creek rd to Spencer Gap. Takes around 5 hours.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Whichever rock took out Norm and my tire last time.

The rock drop on Butter or Cat Gap was also cool.
Love that drop. If you hit the right line, it's a chest high drop to just enough transition to make it a "soft" landing. And if you booger it, then you can take a few steps to the right and have a moment to refllect on your poor life choices by the waterfall.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Love that drop. If you hit the right line, it's a chest high drop to just enough transition to make it a "soft" landing. And if you booger it, then you can take a few steps to the right and have a moment to refllect on your poor life choices by the waterfall.
@Dirtrider made it easy. Yelled out drop as you round that blind corner into it.

"Okay...guess we're going off it now" haha. :rofl:

That whole section of trail was a blast. Super fast with just enough stuff to keep you active. I imagine it's no longer possible to ride it like that in the winter, when it's open to bikes, with the influx of mouth breathers out there?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And on the topic, whether @rideit checks out the "regular" Pisgah stuff or the gnarly meth bus stuff @jstuhlman knows, you'll have have a blast.

I don't think I've disliked any trails in the Pisgah area*.

*except for Bradley Creek out of Turkeypen. Holy shit what a nightmare of 40 river crossings, followed by a climb to the top of Laurel. Never again....except maybe one more time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, go figger, I ran into Sam who owns The Hub at Targhee today. (He has a house here). He says there is still plenty of great riding, just check in at the shop when we are on our way out, and they will give us the latest.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@Dirtrider made it easy. Yelled out drop as you round that blind corner into it.

"Okay...guess we're going off it now" haha. :rofl:

That whole section of trail was a blast. Super fast with just enough stuff to keep you active. I imagine it's no longer possible to ride it like that in the winter, when it's open to bikes, with the influx of mouth breathers out there?
That last bit of Butter, with the drop, is seasonal as is Cat Gap. Open to bikes Oct.15 to April 15. So if you want to ride Butter any other time you have to turn left and climb up Long Branch. But after Oct. 15 you bomb all the way down Butter, hard left to big blind drop, then wide open down Cat Gap. Crazy fast along a Rhododendron lined cliff with the sound of rushing water from all the falls you zip past. One of my favorites for sure.

You're likely to encounter hikers on this section, so keep an eye out. Most of the time you're making so much racket on your bike spitting rawks everywhere and clanking metal bits that they hear you coming. But always give a friendly heads up and yield to uphill hikers. So far I've only had friendly encounters in all of Pisgah. Can't say the same for local FlowEasy trails.