Quantcast

Tentative Cackalacky-Jackson Riding Trip Early September

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Plan is slowly coming together. Fly the 8th, pick up the truck on the 9th. Ride that day, then decide if I do another ride the next morning. Then swing south to visit some great old friends in Birmingham, and ride Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, AL. Then drift North to Bentonville, and on to Denver. Loose plan ATM.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Just wanna say, @jstuhlman is the most righteous local host and trail guide for the Wilson Creek area one could ever hope for. He was my driver, my uber eats, and my trail guide all day. And took me down some great trails at a quick pace. Super impressed, what a fun day! Thanks again.

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
were tacos involved? :hmm:
There were no tacos involved. We did show @rideit some North Caroline barbecue afterward and then some ice cream.

For those of you familiar with Pisgah we rode from the horse stables up Clawhammer to Upper Black, down Avery and then down Bennett. Something like 19 miles 3,500’ and lots of Pisgah rox. Saw maybe 5 or six people on the trail and bluebird skies. Awesome day and always fun to show a Monkey around.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There were no tacos involved. We did show @rideit some North Caroline barbecue afterward and then some ice cream.

For those of you familiar with Pisgah we rode from the horse stables up Clawhammer to Upper Black, down Avery and then down Bennett. Something like 19 miles 3,500’ and lots of Pisgah rox. Saw maybe 5 or six people on the trail and bluebird skies. Awesome day and always fun to show a Monkey around.
Were those trails clear of blow downs ?

Great route for some Pisgah Proper riding.

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
most excellent. except the last part of avery always gives me the sadz, unlike bennett, which is good to the end!
I told Wendell that almost verbatim. The soggy area down by the creek did get a little out of shape from the floods. But it’s always wet. At least it’s only the last 1/2 mile or so. And Bennett was rolling crazy fast.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I told Wendell that almost verbatim. The soggy area down by the creek did get a little out of shape from the floods. But it’s always wet. At least it’s only the last 1/2 mile or so. And Bennett was rolling crazy fast.
based on how he followed me yesterday, i bet he rolled right through the rocky left hander and following chunk on upper bennett!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Once again, I am humbled by the great southern hospitality that I have received, and the offer is open to reciprocate anytime. Thanks again!

And yes, I had so much fun on Bennett, I would name a kitty that to always remember. What a goddamn hoot. My favorite trail out here so far.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Dickson/Montgomery Bell was a bit of a bust. Too many fresh cobwebs/caterpillars for it to be remotely enjoyable, but I hope the next person that goes through appreciates it. Lame trails. I like to say that I can find fun riding anywhere, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Their definition of ‘black’ trails is a 150 foot climb, with one bridge that had roofing shingles on it. So scary! But I did have one of the freshest biscuits/gravy of my life this morning, so I’m a winner. On to Bentonville…

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, that topped off the riding for an amazing little trip. Did a Chimney-Pick-n-Sledge/ Dakota Ridge/ Matthew Winter’s/Red rocks with the Canadian and a posse of fast riders. Absolutely spent, about 14,000 feet of climbing in five rides. Good times. Can’t wait to get home to the puppy!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Well, that topped off the riding for an amazing little trip. Did a Chimney-Pick-n-Sledge/ Dakota Ridge/ Matthew Winter’s/Red rocks with the Canadian and a posse of fast riders. Absolutely spent, about 14,000 feet of climbing in five rides. Good times. Can’t wait to get home to the puppy!
Good God, man - that's a big-ish ride!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, it’s all perspective. The Canadian suggested that we ride back up Pick and Sledge, and come back down Chimney to his house. No way from me. And he actually started the morning off with a White Ranch/Belcher/Maverick lap.