Quantcast

Texas never lets you down

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Perhaps you should spend your days of youth speaking English to only have people force a language not native on you as an adult. I am far from being a bigot, but I'll be God damned if I'd move to Germany and expect them to all speak English for me. Me having that view point doesn't make me a moron. It makes me have an opinion. Protesting is stupid, but f*ck you and your elitist Northeast attitude.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Perhaps you should spend your days of youth speaking English to only have people force a language not native on you as an adult. I am far from being a bigot, but I'll be God damned if I'd move to Germany and expect them to all speak English for me. Me having that view point doesn't make me a moron. It makes me have an opinion. Protesting is stupid, but f*ck you and your elitist Northeast attitude.
English is taught in public schools beginning in grade school in Germany.

There is nothing wrong with being bilingual.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because my favorite Taqueria is staffed by cute Mexican waitresses.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You do realize that the woman bitching about people not speaking English misspelled "official" don't you?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
No there is not, but why should it be forced on anyone? I prefer French, so let's go with that one.
I can't afford to eat at french restaurants often.

And how exactly are you being forced to speak another language ?

I agree that " new comers " should learn English and our laws. But the fact is that the need to speak Spanish is driven by free enterprise. Many businesses see Hispanics as an opportunity to make money, so they advertise in Spanish. In the good ole US of A, the almighty dollar is king. Which is more effective, speaking your customer's language, or waiting for them to learn yours ?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes. That doesn't make everyone here stupid. She didn't spell it right in Spanish either. So what???
I didn't say that it does. I've got a couple of good friends from Texas, and they're not idiots. Actually, they're not from Texas if you listen to Austin Bike, since they're both from Austin, but whatever. We're just poking fun, and you're taking things too seriously. Chill out man.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

I agree that " new comers " should learn English and our laws. But the fact is that the need to speak Spanish is driven by free enterprise. Many businesses see Hispanics as an opportunity to make money, so they advertise in Spanish. In the good ole US of A, the almighty dollar is king. Which is more effective, speaking your customer's language, or waiting for them to learn yours ?
They only want to buy inner tubes. I don't think I need to learn Spanish to sell those.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
They only want to buy inner tubes. I don't think I need to learn Spanish to sell those.
I bet if you spoke Spanish and talked to them like you do every other customer that at least one of " them " would come back and buy something more than a tube, like a bike for his/her kid.

I'm not implying that you or your shop treat Hispanics with disrespect so don't get bent out of shape.

Speaking of customers, I need to get back to work.

Anybody need a genuine Tiffany pendant ?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

From a historical basis most texicans are newcomers. They should have made the official language Commanche a long time ago and this wouldn't have been a problem.

The reality is that times change, change with them or become irrelevant.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I dunno, How can a place that was founded by people from ....uh....everywhere else have an official language?

That sign made me lolz.....and Austin is not Texas.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What do you call someone who speaks several languages?

A Polyglot.

What do you call someone who speaks two langauges?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who only speaks one language?

American.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
How much would you bet her great grand parents didn't speak English.

Austin might not be, but it's residents still are Texans.
Technically, yes, but austin is ~80% transplants. Its really hard to find an actual austinite that has been here the whole time.

If you go to houston or dallas they will tell you that austin is not texas. We're proud of that face. And I speak 2 languages and can navigate another 3 or 4 if I have to.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

A Polyglot.

Bilingual.

American.
Unless they only speak Spanish. Then they're aliens.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin

A Polyglot.

Bilingual.

American.
I've used that one for years when I tavel overseas and have to do sales trainings. It really breaks the ice.

Of course when I am in germany I say it in german ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hate Texas so much I don't even buy gas at Texaco.

The official language of America should be English. That's the language with which our government operates, and that's the language in which the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written. I'm all about preserving cultural heritage, but if I move to a different country, or were even to be working in another country for a substantial period of time, I'd make damn sure I learn the native language.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
All air traffic control tower employees speak English.

Not that it matters, just interesting.

I don't have anything to really add this morning.