Quantcast

Thank You

Dec 4, 2005
I just wanted to say thank you to my sponsor of 5 years, Mongoose/ Hyndai. I appriciate the opportunity that you gave me and I had a blast. Thank you EC for helping me out so much when you didn't have anything to gain from it. Your efforts will never be forgotten. Thank you Travis for supporting me when no one else thought that I deserved it.
I saw a few posts on this site where I was getting blasted by people, namely Stick. Do we have a problem? You act as though I was some high paid factory rider and slammed me when I didn't do well.
Never was it mentioned that I was expected to beat the top paid guys in the world but didn't even have enough money to get to the races at times. There were times that I got on a plane to go racing with no money in my pocket. I was happy to do it cause I love racing mountain bikes and it was worth it if I could just race one more time.
Nobody mentioned that for the past three years I have been working construction full time so I could support my new family and still go race. It's not easy to work 8 -10 hour days, and train to compete with guys like EC, Lopes and Prokopt and find enough time to spend with my family. I worked my butt off every day so that I could get on a plane to go race my bike.
When I flew home Sunday mornings, it was so that I could get home in time to be back at work on Mondays. Even when we went to Europe. I don't appritiate you suggesting that I was some type of slacker that didn't put out any effort.
I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want the people that read these derogatory remarks about me to know that there was alot more to my story than was being told. I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish given my circumstaces.
Once again thank you to those who supported me. I will forever be indebted to you.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Hey Brian

I got to meet you at ST Anne a couple years ago, and i can honestly say you were defiantely one of the coolest guys i met that weekend. You were incredibly friendly and sincere, and didn't have a hint of attitude. Same with EC actually. You guys both signed the hideously orange Dropmachine shirt for me, which was very cool. You also chatted with me about the bike, and never once did it seem like you were vomiting out some hyped junk the marketing team taught you. Thats a pleasant change.

Whereever you end up, I wish you the best of luck, as you certainly deserve it.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Anyone who races for the love of it, Instead of the hype, or being pissed because they don't get first or second every race is still a #1 in my book! And if you could land a big sponsor I'm sure you are above average anyway!

Don't even worry about what people say..... Even if they do have the skill to back it up! They don't have to put your shoes on at the end of the day, and live your life!

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Results don't make a person a fan favorite, they may make life easier but even if you're the best around, you can still be disliked. From what I have heard from others, you're a pretty cool guy.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
There will always be alot of crap talking on websites because people don't have to do it to your face. I wonder how many people would make fun of Bender for being a "stupid hucker" to his face. I think it's great that you made a go of it with very little money. Hopefully you will still be racing for the love of it even without Mongoose.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Brian,

The internet is full of morons and jackasses who spout off about things they know nothing about all the time. It's best not to pay any attention to anything you read on these sites. You still gonna be out there racing next year? Dont give up on us, I heard you gated that prokop clown so hard he fell over from shock.:D :D :D

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Seems like whatever anyone posts turns into some kinda debate...
You are a-ok in my book. Treat your wife good this Christmas-keep her happy is the main thing !

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Well said, you're a class act. Working full time and racing is very tough but it means more when you do have success.

Stik can be a first class tool.

Sep 10, 2001
Brian,
Best of luck to you and your family. I hope all is well for all of you. Maybe we will still see you at a few races? You are a lot better rider than some of the results show and it would be cool to see you come in and kick a little butt out there doing it on your own..

Brian

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Brian Schmith said:
I just wanted to say thank you to my sponsor of 5 years, Mongoose/ Hyndai. I appriciate the opportunity that you gave me and I had a blast. Thank you EC for helping me out so much when you didn't have anything to gain from it. Your efforts will never be forgotten. Thank you Travis for supporting me when no one else thought that I deserved it.
I saw a few posts on this site where I was getting blasted by people, namely Stick. Do we have a problem? You act as though I was some high paid factory rider and slammed me when I didn't do well.
Never was it mentioned that I was expected to beat the top paid guys in the world but didn't even have enough money to get to the races at times. There were times that I got on a plane to go racing with no money in my pocket. I was happy to do it cause I love racing mountain bikes and it was worth it if I could just race one more time.
Nobody mentioned that for the past three years I have been working construction full time so I could support my new family and still go race. It's not easy to work 8 -10 hour days, and train to compete with guys like EC, Lopes and Prokopt and find enough time to spend with my family. I worked my butt off every day so that I could get on a plane to go race my bike.
When I flew home Sunday mornings, it was so that I could get home in time to be back at work on Mondays. Even when we went to Europe. I don't appritiate you suggesting that I was some type of slacker that didn't put out any effort.
I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want the people that read these derogatory remarks about me to know that there was alot more to my story than was being told. I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish given my circumstaces.
Once again thank you to those who supported me. I will forever be indebted to you.
You can't let Internet BS get to you. There will always be people who will talk trash from the safety of their office chair. Nevertheless, good luck to you, and I would hope that you will continue to race...

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
It takes an amazing amount of dedication to compete at the pro level while working for a living. Add in a family and it must be near imposable.
Much respect for making it happen.
Hope you are able to continue to race, if that's what you want.

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
hey brian good luck, hopefully you get a good deal to ride cuase u deserve it! Few people can do all you´ve accomplished. So keep on riding hard and dont pay attention to all the bs they say!!! you da man

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Brian, we know how you feel man. Working full time and pursuing a sport that you love is very hard to do. Just keep turning in the results you have been and representing your sponsors the best way you can. Things will turn around for you. Let all the BS go and enjoy what you love.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Man, don't EVER let your feelings get hurt on the net. Probably the saddest thing I can imagine....is that you're actually bothering to be online instead of riding your bike or playing with your kid.....oh wait, that's me....

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Its a shame talented riders cant seem to find good sponsors these days.
But its the reality that our sport is in at the moment.
Hopefully it will pick up and more riders will get the chance to race more, ride World Cups and get decent race support.
We deserve it dammit :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Kevin said:
Its a shame talented riders cant seem to find good sponsors these days.
But its the reality that our sport is in at the moment.
Hopefully it will pick up and more riders will get the chance to race more, ride World Cups and get decent race support.
We deserve it dammit :D
Its all about airtime on TV. There is none!!! That is why sponsors don't pay anymore. Speed or Fuel needs to pick up Mt. Bike racing from Outdoor life.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
it is unfortunate that a rider of your talent is unable to get any support. it was my pleasure to help you with all of the mtb stuff and to pass on some of my knowledge, there actully was something to gain, i now have a true friend for life, something much more important then racing bikes. your an awsome teammate and i look back at the last 5 years as some of my best. all sappy stuff aside , i hope someone steps up and gives this guy a shot , with Brian not having to ride in my shadow on a team i see some great results for him.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
BC VAN said:
it was my pleasure to help you with all of the mtb stuff and to pass on some of my knowledge, there actully was something to gain, i now have a true friend for life, something much more important then racing bikes. your an awsome teammate and i look back at the last 5 years as some of my best.
Get a room...

:p

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
yeah i know.. like i said a bit sappy, must be all those soap oprea's during the day while i hang out with my son. haha

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im going pro this year and cant find anyone that will give me better deals than I got as a 14 year old shop rat.
Some of the deals that pro's get are in some cases probably close to what "ebay" people find from time to time. It's hard to work though, train for races, deal with a family and stuff. Just the fact that you can juggle all 3 is a miracle in itself.

People online always get bagged no matter how good or sucky they are. People for years have talked crap about Bender and some of the other "hucker" guys but you know what it comes down to? The people talking crap can't back it up if their lifes depended on it. So Bender goes for a drop, misses, and is out for months. That drop is bigger than anything you'd try, and atleast he'll make it sooner or later. Same goes for racing. Just because you don't get #1 every time you race doesn't mean you aren't important. You might be a guy that places in the to 6 in any race..........but always have that ability to win. I always liked the underdog's odd's then the expected.

Just like lots said above, don't take what gets said on message boards seriously. No one would tell whatever was said to upset you to your face. The internet in alot of ways is a coward way to tell someone something about them that you don't like. Get 2 people together and see if it goes the same way.

Good luck though with racing, working, and life. Kids don't have to be the end of the world.........but enjoy things while you can!

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i don't think you or anyone else should justify what other people say about you. this board is filled with a lot of haters who can't back up what theyre saying. didn't anyone learn as they were a kid, "if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all". this goes especially for people you have never, nor will ever meet. thats just lame

Dec 4, 2005
Thanks for the support. Sometimes you go thru alot o **** before you hear an encouraging word. Thank you.

Anyone looking to buy some Mongoose race bikes? They'd make a fine Christmas present

big boy

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
boulder CO.
Brian, I was able to meet you at last years Snowmass National, and ride the very slow lift up the Mtn. before your 4x race. By the top of the ride, I was marveling at how kind, and conversational you were to me, and how I felt like I had known you for years. You are a great rider(hell, who isn't that can hold his own in world cups?) and an even better guy. Good luck with everything, and I hope to see you back in the gate with a huge sponsor next season. Rudy

aznick

Chimp
Dec 5, 2005
I have known Brian for years and he has always been one of the most approachable pros I have ever ran into. It sucks to see a racer of his calibur not be able to pick up a sponsor. It suck's even worse to see cocky industry people such as Stick talking **** about people that are actually doing sommething good for the sport. Good luck with everything Brian. From now on Stik you should just let Leigh do the talkin. Since she is the one that actually proved herself on a bike.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Brian Schmith said:
Thanks for the support. Sometimes you go thru alot o **** before you hear an encouraging word. Thank you.

Anyone looking to buy some Mongoose race bikes? They'd make a fine Christmas present
While the love of the sport of everyone here is about the same, when you get to that level of riding, it’s imperative that one remembers why they do it, and it ain’t for some jealous prick. The year I took off, we were touring the Mid - Atlantic States, doing pretty much what you were doing racing, and I learned real quickly how tough it can be, especially in regard to family.

I enjoyed practice more than the playing out live in front of 5000 some people at a festival. Just remember the Saturdays of hanging with a bunch of guys with the same love, riding, and remember the camaraderie. For the most part what I have found that the larger percentage of guys not only get excited about themselves getting huge, but got stoked when there friends did as well. Even racing all the races you do, we get stoked at you getting huge. That’s the neat thing about this sport.

It’s those moments that make it worth all the effort. It’s when guys talk to you and look at you with genuine enthusiasm at these races, totally stoked at how well ya did and huge you got, and offered condolences when you didn’t.

Remember, it’s easy to amplify the comments of the so few, when it’s the comments and well wishers that far outweigh the bulls!t comments.

Best of luck! :thumb: And judging by the response here, your appreciated and respected.