Quantcast

Thank you

geoffulmer

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
NY
Thank you all for you support, I can’t believe I’m going to the World Championships. Many friends, competitors, supporters and sponsors helped make it possible. I am overwhelmed that so many stepped up and donated funds. I am so thankful and excited, that I can’t even begin to describe my feelings. I have tried to write thank you's to everyone, but I just can’t find the words to tell how I feel. Everytime I sit down I get emotional and go back to packing and getting the bike ready. I will contact everyone personally shortly. I will also strive to represent everyone as best I can. I have certainly learned a valuable life lesson from all of you and will strive to be a giving as I can in the future.

It’s been a very hectic week so far. I was selected to race the World Champs, and I was going to have to decline because of lack of funds. I was extremely disappointed at the fact this would be the second time I was selected and did not get to race the World Champs. I could not race last year due to an injury.

My dad called and confided with an industry friend, and we took his recommendation to accept the selection and figure out funding later. He also got a three day extension from USAC before the money was due. I sent a letter to sponsors informing them that I was selected, but I did not know where the money would come from to get there. One sponsor made a donation along with two others that followed. That really got the ball rolling with companies that I had written to in a separate letter. While a good sum of money was donated, I was still less than halfway to the $3500, the trip to the worlds in Australia would cost.

It was a real emotional rollercoaster for of me. Although I understood it was an opportunity that may never happen again, I will continue to work hard to be chosen again next year for the World Champs in Mt. Ste. Anne, Quebec, Canada.

Word got out and another friend put up a post on an internet forum asking for help. Many friends, competitors and people I did not know helped to make this trip possible. My dad put things up on Ebay to raise funds. Things were looking better but I was still falling short and I was ready to give up. Then a close friend found out how much more I needed and he made a large contribution to make sure I got there.

Since then it’s been crazy getting all the USAC paperwork and necessary visas in place. My bike needed a complete disassembly and an overhaul. Another friend let me use their credit card to pay USAC the $1800 fee and the plane ticket which was up to $1700 because it was so late. I leave Friday around noon for the 33 hour flight. I will arrive on Sunday morning with course walk and practice to begin on Monday. The race is Sunday morning. You can watch the World Champs live from http://freecaster.tv . Be sure to check it out!

Thank you all so much, for your kindness, and generosity. I hope to make everyone proud.

Geoff

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
So SICK!!!!!!! It was my pleasure to help in any way that I could. When I saw how happy you were when you qualified at Bromont, I knew that you couldn't miss worlds again.

We are all extremely proud of you. Do well over there but most importantly, have fun and really learn from it.

If I had found enough money I was going to join you as your personal photographer :D but no luck.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
So SICK!!!!!!! It was my pleasure to help in any way that I could. When I saw how happy you were when you qualified at Bromont, I knew that you couldn't miss worlds again.

We are all extremely proud of you. Do well over there but most importantly, have fun and really learn from it.

If I had found enough money I was going to join you as your personal photographer :D but no luck.
Now THAT would have been awsome!!! See you at the 'FACE???

And Geoff, go ride your bike and have fun bud! You have already made us proud...

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Stoked for your Geoff, kill it!

So glad to see so many people were able to help out. It solidifies what we all know is up with the community.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Now THAT would have been awsome!!! See you at the 'FACE???

And Geoff, go ride your bike and have fun bud! You have already made us proud...
I'll be there Friday/Saturday for sure. I have to come back to Burlington for a party on Saturday so who knows when I will wake up Sunday:D:D:D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
News at 11:

The internet sponsored a World Cup racer.

SUUUUHHHHHHHWWWWWEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

....and you earned the right to pee in a cup while a stranger watches. :thumb:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Do your thing, enjoy yourself and represent!

Whatever happens, you earned it and you deserve it, and you're proving moreso with humility like this!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I didnt make any donation what so ever, I must admit I wouldnt either since Im not from the states, but what I do want to point out is how good an athlete you are to come out and say thank you to everyone, it demostrates who you are, and how you are really fighting for this. Congratulations and I hope you do really well!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
just one question

did you get that sponsorship tattoo for 500 bucks?

i ceratainly hope you didn't!!!

way to go!:thumb:
have fun and do it for the interwebs :rofl::rofl:

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Geoff,

I was watching for your result last year, found out about the injury. Glad you were able to put it together. It would be long road to end with no funds. Just finish the bottom of that course sprinting and you should be fine.

Good Luck and pedal!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That course is built to suit Geoff. Little pop offs and jumps all over the track which is Geoff's style. Should come down with a pretty decent time.