Quantcast

The 2008 N*'s opening weekend thread

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well, all I can say it was great to be back and ride there once again. Definite props to the trail crew (even you kidwoo;))!!!! Most of the trails were in great shape, plus the new runs with another lift running makes the place even better. Can't wait to go back in a few weeks:thumb:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I see you're suffering from bike industry fever, whereby one's new year begins sometime mid-summer...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Missed you this weekend.

Loose....deep.....the usual.

Gypsy got so worked that the rocks are exposed and it feels like a mountainbike trail now.

Just beware of the hella drops to flat........eesh.....
Ahh, Kidwoo riding at Northstar. It's like the planets are all re-aligned and all is good with the world.

You around next weekend? I'll give you a ring when I have a semblance of a plan, hopefully we can connect.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
Missed you this weekend.

Loose....deep.....the usual.

Gypsy got so worked that the rocks are exposed and it feels like a mountainbike trail now.

Just beware of the hella drops to flat........eesh.....
gypsy claimed my wrist on saturday in one of the drop to flat sections

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ahh, Kidwoo riding at Northstar. It's like the planets are all re-aligned and all is good with the world.

You around next weekend? I'll give you a ring when I have a semblance of a plan, hopefully we can connect.
I'll be around. I may be working saturday. There are a few features we want to put on boondocks that aren't done.

But I'll definitely be riding on sunday regardless. With the 4th weekend, saturday is likely to be crowded.

The new lift has a motion sensor at the top that's apparently pretty easy to trip.......and for some reason, it takes a while to get the lift running again. Anyone who's there can tell you they waited on or at the bottom of that thing plenty of times.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
All I know is there is a trail called sticksandstones!
Headed up for our virgin runs in a bit....wifi at the condo, geeks unite.

Get these puppies dirty this week

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I had a blast yesterday. Tons of loose corners, but if you trusted your front wheel and let the rear drift, you could rail most of them.

The (expert) course was exhausting at race pace! I went over the bars from a lapse of concentration in the rock garden, but came out relatively unscathed.

Didn't get over to the new trails (only got in a couple runs on old trails after the race). I'm looking forward to heading back up for them soon.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Naga, haha, ya we stopped at mammoth for some lunch and let our kid run around in the new village....sitting in a babyseat for the first 6 hrs was not at the top of her 'fun' list....not to mention the pee soaked car seat she leaked in....kid stuff rules.

And Blue, ya we are quite stoked to still see our old industry friends still able to hook us up, especially as little as we ride.

Anyways, we just did 4 hrs up there and my chick is making lunch now. I friggin love doing DH runs with my chick! we both have not ridden DH since whistler last year and we did pretty good. We stayed on Karpiel, sticksandstones, dogbone, phodog or something. This place requires a lot of fitness I think, not a whole lot of gravity in comparison to other places I have been, but the rock sections here are really hard I think, hopefully we will clean them smoothly before we head home....its not as gnar has everyone told me though-everyone told me we will destroy our bikes in a day, etc....but Leigh only got one flat today.

Good times

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Follow me and see what speed does to those rims:brows:

I'll be up there wednesday. Call me back fool.
Oh ya....'at speed' thats another story ;)

I know better than to follow locals ha

My f-ing phone does not work at the house here, and they have no phone here...he has DSL but no phone, so my phone only works when I go down to town. Tahoe is not in the 90's yet

I think some XC tomm, then back to N* by wed, I will holler before then.
I am able to get my email here though
stikmanATshoptangerinDOTcom

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I was up there all weekend and now all I can think about is going back… the Northstar rocks are some of the best I’ve ridden! …Although I was a little disappointed in the lack of braking bumps, When are you trail guys going to put in the stadium whoops? Maybe I’ll head back in a week and see if they’ve gotten any better.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
How bad were the lift lines opening weekend? I'm heading up next weekend in hope of it dying down a little but not sure if the whole 4th of july thing is gonna be settled down as it's on a wed this year.

It's gonna be nice to get back there after taking a forced 1 year hiadis... bastards. It was torture, I was up in tahoe the weekend before the opening weekend working an Extera race and drove right by northstar as a single tear came out.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
How bad were the lift lines opening weekend? I'm heading up next weekend in hope of it dying down a little but not sure if the whole 4th of july thing is gonna be settled down as it's on a wed this year.

It's gonna be nice to get back there after taking a forced 1 year hiadis... bastards. It was torture, I was up in tahoe the weekend before the opening weekend working an Extera race and drove right by northstar as a single tear came out.
They wern't too bad, sometimes we got right on others we waited about 7-10 minutes.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Can anyone confirm that N* will be open on the 4th. I just checked the website it didn't say that they will be closed on Wednesday. I called and got an answer machine...

Website say hours of operation June 29 - September 3rd 2007 daily

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
well there were over 800 people saturday and sunday but only 300 yesturday so hopefully the mad rush is over

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm so glad they're back. I had a blast.
The STD line owned me, but I made Karpiel trail my b*tch ;)
Gypsy was fun, dusty
Boondocks finishes in a much better spot and had some cool new features.

I got stuck waiting for the zephyr lift for 45min because of some softwar hiccup. and I got stuck on the vista, in the sun, within sight of the drop point, for an hour!

N* was very cool about it though and comped us another lift ticket for the season. See ya in Sept!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm so glad they're back. I had a blast.
The STD line owned me, but I made Karpiel trail my b*tch ;)
Gypsy was fun, dusty
Boondocks finishes in a much better spot and had some cool new features.

I got stuck waiting for the zephyr lift for 45min because of some softwar hiccup. and I got stuck on the vista, in the sun, within sight of the drop point, for an hour!

N* was very cool about it though and comped us another lift ticket for the season. See ya in Sept!
Glad you had fun, nice seeing you again:thumb: