Quantcast

The 2009 Fluidride Cup Schedule Announced!!

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
The 2009 Fluidride Cup is returning with a 6 event series.You'll ride up with Maxxis' Luke Strobel, Transition's Lars Sternberg and last year's Pro Mens Champion Bart McDaniels but I doubt you'll be going down the course with them.

Will dissolving the 'semi-pro' class change things? You bet! Welcome to another season of gravity racing!
2009 Race Schedule
*this schedule is subject to change due to weather and other considerations.

Race# Location Date
FR Cup 1 Port Angeles, WA. April 3rd - 5th
FR Cup 2 Port Angeles, WA. May 1st - 3rd
FR Cup 3 Mt Hood, OR. June 26th - 28th
FR Cup 4 Mt Hood, OR. July 10th - 12th
FR Cup 5 Port Angeles, WA. August 21st - 23rd
FR Cup 6 Mt Hood, OR. September 25th - 27th

Just like last year, nDub Productions and Petr Kakes of Hurricane Racing will be handling the race timing and course. You have to get your new USA Cycling License and permits to enter. There's been a long list of added sponsors to the ones that supported it last year. I haven't got the finalized listing to show yet. But stay tuned for many more updates here on Pinkbike.
For registration and details- go here. (note: As of this writing- it was still 2008 information- don't fear- that page will be updated very soon!)

To get your USA Cycling license and permits, go here.

To closely follow the FR Cup's details and news- the Fluidride Cup website is right here.

I just started the 2009 Fluidride Cup thread right here for discussion. Did I cover it all? Will Luke Strobel beat 40+ year old Bart McDaniels? Will the former 'semi-pro's' make things interesting in the pro class or will they 'sand-bag' the Expert class? Let's chat about racing.

-northwestdhdad.pinkbike.com/

Thanks to Northwestdhdad for the write up.
:cheers:

Last edited:

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I for one am stoked to get out and race this year. Been getting plenty of XC miles in over the winter and looking forward to another successful season!

It's also exciting to see that the Fluidride Series coincides with the newly announced Pro Mountain Bike Gravity Tour.

Here's the full announcement:

USA Cycling announced today the creation of a new professional gravity mountain bike series designed to recognize the top gravity racers in America. The USA Cycling Pro Mountain Bike Gravity Tour (ProGRT) will consist of five events, including three UCI-sanctioned races, throughout the United States. Together, these races will provide world-class athletes with a consistent stage to showcase their downhill and 4-Cross skills.
Beginning in May of 2009, the ProGRT will visit four states and offer series ranking points to top finishers, resulting in overall individual titles for men and women. In addition, competitors will also have the opportunity to accumulate international ranking points as three of the five races are inscripted on the UCI calendar.

The series opens with the downhill contest at the Fluidride Cup in Port Angeles, Wash., May 1-3 and then heads south to the Chile Challenge in New Mexico where both the downhill and 4-Cross contests will be a part of the ProGRT. The tour then picks back up on Aug. 8 with both the downhill and 4-Cross at the Blast the Mass in Snowmass, Colo. The following weekend, the ProGRT moves east to the Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain, the only race on both the Pro Cross Country Tour (ProXCT) and ProGRT. Wrapping up the tour will be the Whiteface 5K Downhill in Wilmington, N.Y. on Aug. 29.

“The Whiteface Mountain Bike Park is honored to be part of the Pro Gravity Tour. Five of the premier venues in the U.S. have been chosen for this historical series that will surely last for generations,” said Downhill Mike, promoter of the Whiteface 5K Downhill. “It is only fitting to be the last race on the tour with our eight-minute downhill track as racers should be in their best condition of the season by late August. The Lake Placid/Whiteface region has hosted two Winter Olympics (1932 & 1980) and has attracted numerous top athletes of all kinds ever since. The time has now come to bring a new breed of world class athletes to Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid. Welcome Pro Gravity Tour.”

The objectives of the inaugural USA Cycling Pro GRT are to provide a sequence of international-caliber events for elite gravity racers, to recognize the best gravity athletes competing on U.S. soil, to spotlight America’s top races that have made a commitment to host high-level events and ultimately to raise the level of competitive gravity racing in the U.S.

“With the development of the ProGRT we were looking to showcase the country’s strongest gravity venues,” said USA Cycling Mountain Bike Events and Program Director Kelli Lusk. “We want to bring the elite riders together to compete against the best on the country’s top courses and ultimately crown the season’s preeminent gravity riders.”

2009 USA Cycling Pro Gravity MTB Tour (Pro GRT):

May 1-3: Fluidride Cup – Port Angeles, Wash. (DH $5,000 purse)

May 23-25: Chile Challenge – Angel Fire, N.M. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

Aug. 8-9: Blast the Mass – Snowmass, Colo. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

August 15-16: Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain – Windham, N.Y. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 1)

August 29: Whiteface 5K (DH) – Wilmington, N.Y. (DH $5,000 purse)​

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
2009 USA Cycling Pro Gravity MTB Tour (Pro GRT):

May 1-3: Fluidride Cup – Port Angeles, Wash. (DH $5,000 purse)

May 23-25: Chile Challenge – Angel Fire, N.M. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

Aug. 8-9: Blast the Mass – Snowmass, Colo. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 2)

August 15-16: Yankee Clipper at Windham Mountain – Windham, N.Y. (DH and 4-Cross UCI category 1)

August 29: Whiteface 5K (DH) – Wilmington, N.Y. (DH $5,000 purse)[/INDENT]
So does this mean that both the FR Cup and the Whiteface 5k will not have UCI points associated with those who take their respective categories (that are UCI pointable)?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
It looks like the Whiteface and Fluidride races are not on the UCI schedule. Meaning no UCI points. Being a "national" vs. a UCI race is a hole-nava-leval... But hey, a $5000 purse isn't too bad though! There are other oportunities for UCI points in the area. You'll just have to go to Canada. Arduum is a Canada Cup from what I'm hearing... First year it was just a somewhat underground race, second year it was a BC Cup, now a Canada Cup?! Crazy what those comi canadians are able to do sometimes.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I see that the Silver Mountain race is no longer on the schedule posted on the Fluidride website. Conflicting dates with another event? Cold feet? Any news?

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
Do you know if they are going to do the SilverOx?Or was the Fluidride cup race takeing its place?Did they give a reason?
Silver has pretty much run them selves into debt.. The were something like 8 million over budget with the water park.. and as a result, I herd from a few good sources that they have either laid off or seriously deminished the summer jobs as trail crew positions go.. I herd that there isnt going to be any trail work done this spring and that the trails will just be as they were when last season was done.. and then that the summer schedule will only run the gondola on selected weekends.
And then on PB it was said that silver was asking to much to host the race and wouldnt respond to emails from the FR guys so they just pulled the race... as far as Silverroxx, I hope they still have it.. that was the most fun weekend last year. (1st in jam session, 1st in class in Super D and 1st in Endero DH :) ) and its only 40 miles from my house to silver. and a mile from our rental house to the base of silver so its waay conveniant for me. But damn I hope we dont see Silver doing away with biking any time soon.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I was told that, as of right now, they will still have mtb operations this summer but things will be scaled back. The gondola will run on weekends only. I assume every weekend but I suppose it could be select weekends. We'll have to wait and see.

They also still plan on holding Silveroxx but at this time they have not set a firm date.

I think the current economic situation is affecting them and things could change between now and this summer, but it sounds like they are still planning on having mountain bike operations in 2009.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I know it's a bummer. We waited until the last minute to see if we could work it out. For one the Peninsula Hurricane Ridge ski school is still running, so we don't have access to the gates that we normally use.
Our main focus is the DH- straight up. Don't get me wrong we love the DS as much as everybody else, but we want to make sure the Downhill absolutely goes off.
With the weather we've been getting hit with lately, and a few other things going on we've had some un-expected additional work.
Needless to say we made the executive decision to cut the slalom at the first one. PA #'s 2 & 3 will for sure have the infamous DUAL SLALOM again.

I hope you all understand. Apologies for the late notice, but we tried to work it out.

Sorry, and cheers!

Lars

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Any info on what the course is going to be yet or is it still up in the air? Also will it be Pro and Cat 1 on one course and Cat 2 + 3 on another? Just curious how thats going to work out.

Cheese

Chimp
Mar 26, 2007
Question for promoters:

On the Fluidride website under Purse info it states that the Pro Men purse will be paid 10 deep. Is this correct? Last year the top 10 times regardless of catagory were paid out.

Reason I ask is the difference in policy from last year. As well as last weekend at the Double Down Hoe Down in Spokane there was an expert time on Saturday that was faster than the 2nd and 3rd pro/open times that got paid out.

With licensing you are "suppossed" to race in your catagory which happened last Saturday. Fastest times of the day are just that, the fastest times of the day as long as you are running the same course. Should it matter what catagory a racer is in? I don't think so.

Any info and insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Colin

smbisig

Chimp
May 19, 2006
Seattle
i will be there shooting photos. cant wait to go back, its been a few years.
well, didn't make it to PA today to photograph the race. i left seattle at around 5 am and had some vehicle issues.

hopefully, depending on my photo schedule, i will make it out to future races.

anyways, good luck to everyone racing today.

steven bisig
steven bisig photography

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I believe the total was 410 racers,good showing from California,Colorado,BC and everywhere in between.No shortage of quality Photographers as well.

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
People need to learn how to yield to faster riders when getting passed on the trail.

I was going down motoguzzi second corner catch up to this guy yell rider 4 times and say can i pass, the Conner where you see the pro coarse before it goes to a little drop i finally pass him. 8th place in 15-18 pretty bumbed, could have got 5th or better.

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Wow...massive showing and a great weekend! Weather was great and the trails were op-ti-mal. Mad props to the N Dub crew for doing their best with keeping up with so many racers. Also, thanks a ton to all the folks hooting and hollering along the course today...not quite as loud as it was for the pros, but loud enough to keep me flying!!!

Pisser you got held up, Anthony. I had the same thing happen to me last year - you get over it in time. Usually by the next race!

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
Ya, i either wont go first or i will just have a ghost. Wanted to get 5th or better but thats racing. Ya man mike estes he knows how to get a crowd going.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
for my first time out I couldn't have picekd a better event, was amazing from the organization to the weather!!!

Dont worry anthony, next time you will get top five...

MORE COW-BELL!