3 bay leaves
1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
¾ cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese [the sharper the better!]
½-¾ cup sour cream

How to:

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.*4

Remove casings from sausage and break up the meat.

Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic and sirloin to pan; cook 8-10 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble. Keep poking at it with a wooden spoon to keep the meat separated. Don't over do it - later it will separate naturally.

Add chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, Kosher salt and bay leaves, and cook for 1-3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add about ½ the cheese so it melts and melds into the core sauce.

Discard the bay leaves. Serve in bowls.

Sprinkle each serving with the remaining cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

n.b.: Like most stews, gumbos and soups, 8-12 hours will help to improve over-all consistency and flavor. 24 hours isn't necessary. You can make it first thing in the morning or the night before, just prior to crashing.

*1 - Sirloin is suggested as you aren't actually cooking this for more than about 1.5 hrs. In a stew, with 2-4 hrs of heat, you could use stewing beef. But it would take a lot more slowly-applied heat to properly break down the connective tissues so that it's chewy but not tough.

I usually get a couple of sirloin steaks and cut it fine by hand. It give the chili a rustic, natural look. If you don't have time for this, get your local butcher to grind it coarsely for you. Failing that, get the best looking ground beef you have available.

*2 - If you can't get Jalapeno or Serrano peppers, consider using a commonly available chipotle hot-pepper sauce. Failing even that, use some Tobasco for heat. If you're using sauce to add heat, do it near the end, before serving, and adjust for your own personal taste...

*3 - American chili powder is usually made from milder, dried and smoked chillies. It's flavor, not it's heat, is what we like it for. If your chili powder is more than a year old, toss it out and get some fresh stuff. You'll notice the difference, I swear it.

*4 - Dutch Oven - basically, a large, cast-iron and ceramic enameled pot with a lid. Use whatever you have that you can move easily - this can get heavy! I used to use an 8-quart Stock Pot from Calphalon - it was heavy gauge aluminum. It's not critical.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If I was to do the final cooking in a crock pot for about 4hrs would I still let it cook for 30min with no lid just prior to serving.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
If I was to do the final cooking in a crock pot for about 4hrs would I still let it cook for 30min with no lid just prior to serving.
Beware of over-cooking - it can happen. Letting it 'sit' for four hours, then bringing it back to heat prior to serving is usually a better idea.

Over-cooking can damage the sugars - and there's a lot of it in chili - and cause bitterness.

[onions and tomatoes have a lot of sugar - never mind the added brown sugar!]

Plus - over-cooking some meats can basically dissolve the tissue to 'soup'...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Beware of over-cooking - it can happen. Letting it 'sit' for four hours, then bringing it back to heat prior to serving is usually a better idea.

Over-cooking can damage the sugars - and there's a lot of it in chili - and cause bitterness.

[onions and tomatoes have a lot of sugar - never mind the added brown sugar!]

Plus - over-cooking some meats can basically dissolve the tissue to 'soup'...
Ok sounds good!
Well it's on my menu for Sunday Lunch/Dinner.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I havent tried mine with sausage. Going to give it a try this weekend I have found that if i fully cook my chili, let it cool down and then bring it back up to temperature I get a better flavor. Anyone ever experienced this? I do it with my pasta sauce as well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I havent tried mine with sausage. Going to give it a try this weekend I have found that if i fully cook my chili, let it cool down and then bring it back up to temperature I get a better flavor. Anyone ever experienced this? I do it with my pasta sauce as well.
Holy fawk you're from Mount Carmel!

Awesome!!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Absolutely - with meat sauces, that is. Not much of a difference with thin sauces and usually a bad idea with cream sauces...

but Ragout and Chili and similar - yep!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Not a brilliant shot by any means, but here's a pic of the chili I made last week.

Served on toasted croissants, dollop of sour cream and some extra shredded cheese.

Needed more heat - the Jalapeno's i got up here were sweet and not very hot. Next time, it's chipotles...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Bell Peppers, Chopped:

Onions, Chopped:

Head-O-Garlic, Peeled and Chopped:

Wine, Red:

(*good enough to drink, but not fantastic - cuz that's a waste.)

Various Tomatoes, Canned and Tomato Paste:

Various Spices:

Sirloin, Chopped:

Near the End of the Cooking process:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Whenever I make chili or pasta sauce, I always let it sit in the fridge overnight prior to using. It always seems to have better flavor that way.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
the fat coagulates at the top for easy skimming.
luv the second day flavours but the veggies do not do as well.
Well, in a Chili - the veggies pretty much 'sauce down' in the early stages anyway.

In any sauce that relies of 'fresh ingredients' - and chili does not, usually - I don't subscribe to the 'later is better' view...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I can't speak too much as to what may be a good substitute for hot turkey sausage in NZ, but here it is a decent alternative to regular Itailian sausage with a LOT less fat. It's one of the few low-fat alternative products that has some taste.

Do you have chicken sausage in NZ? Chicken sausage is even better, with options such as buffalo, jalapeno, cajun, andouille, apple, and Italian flavors.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I don't like low-fat sausage. :D
Pork sausage is defintely the way to go, as far as taste is concerned. It's a no-contest. However, it is loaded with fat, which is one of the reasons it taste's so good. Believe it or not, some of the chicken-sausage flavor's are better than edible, and are actually good. The jalapeno and andouille chicken sausage taste's pretty damn good grilled over charcoal. Plus the fat content goes down from 15-20g to 4.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pork sausage is defintely the way to go, as far as taste is concerned. It's a no-contest. However, it is loaded with fat, which is one of the reasons it taste's so good. Believe it or not, some of the chicken-sausage flavor's are better than edible, and are actually good. The jalapeno and andouille chicken sausage taste's pretty damn good grilled over charcoal. Plus the fat content goes down from 15-20g to 4.
I don't care about fat content. :D

Pork sausage: tastes better *and* it's cheaper. It's a win-win! :cheers:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Holy Crap! Nobody, you're still here?!!

How are you my man! Just had chili last night actually. It was great but this looks better. I'll print it out and try it.

Hope you are doing well buddy. Long time no see.

Dave

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Holy Crap! Nobody, you're still here?!!

How are you my man! Just had chili last night actually. It was great but this looks better. I'll print it out and try it.

Hope you are doing well buddy. Long time no see.

Dave
Heh heh. I almost had an aneurism when I saw that you posted in one of my food threads. I was afraid the world had changed over night - and that soon I'd be working on CAD programs!

I've got some revisions for this recipe that improves heat and taste - basically, replace the Jalapeno's with Chipotles - with or without Adobo sauce....

By the way - Kudos to you and your crew for the successes E.13 and such Evil things have achieved.

I actually saw one of the Sovereign frames in a shop up here in Frostyville. Beautiful. Made me lust after bikes again.

Hope to 'see' you around, bubba.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nobody, just a question. when you initially brown the meat for 8-10 minutes, you also add the bell pepper and garlic. won't the garlic overcook for that duration and get bitter? for stuff like this, i usually cook the meat first, then take out, then add the aromatics (onion, then garlic after a bit) and the spices. deglaze w/ stock or wine, then add the meat back in w/ beans and let slow cook.

thoughts?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
nobody, just a question. when you initially brown the meat for 8-10 minutes, you also add the bell pepper and garlic. won't the garlic overcook for that duration and get bitter? for stuff like this, i usually cook the meat first, then take out, then add the aromatics (onion, then garlic after a bit) and the spices. deglaze w/ stock or wine, then add the meat back in w/ beans and let slow cook.

thoughts?
When I did this a couple weeks ago - and I agree, garlic goes sweet at beige and argh at brown - I was pretty much constantly stirring and mixing it up. 90% of the garlic was pretty light brown. A few little bits had crisped, tho - possibly adding [at such small amounts] to the over all 'campfire' flavor.

I guess it depends on the pan, your cooking/stirring method and control of heat.

I usually try to keep the garlic/onions from burning by controlling the heat - a breeze on my old gas range, hellish on the bloody electrics I'm forced to use now...

As I said earlier, I've got a few revisions coming up and I'll post again after I try it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i am using electric, which is probably why i've adapted that way; however, for these types of dishes i usually use my cast iron le creuset and that holds heat pretty well anyway, so there will be a time lag w/ temp adjustment even if you kill the burner output.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
i am using electric, which is probably why i've adapted that way; however, for these types of dishes i usually use my cast iron le creuset and that holds heat pretty well anyway, so there will be a time lag w/ temp adjustment even if you kill the burner output.
If I harken back a ways, I can recall both turning down the heat and vigorously tossing the browned meat - on my Ragout as well as chilies - I think that's the usual way I do it. I need to take more notes as I do this stuff...!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Heh heh. I almost had an aneurism when I saw that you posted in one of my food threads. I was afraid the world had changed over night - and that soon I'd be working on CAD programs!

I've got some revisions for this recipe that improves heat and taste - basically, replace the Jalapeno's with Chipotles - with or without Adobo sauce....

By the way - Kudos to you and your crew for the successes E.13 and such Evil things have achieved.

I actually saw one of the Sovereign frames in a shop up here in Frostyville. Beautiful. Made me lust after bikes again.

Hope to 'see' you around, bubba.
AHAHAHA. Luckily for all of us CAD programs will probably never have a place in cooking. At least not in my house! Thanks for the Kind words R. thats nice of you.

Keep up the good work, I'm going to keep tabs on this page. Love me some cooking and beer. And tequila.

Dave