Quantcast

The Atkins backlash begins!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Duh! :rolleyes:

Atkins dieter sues after heart op

A is man suing the estate of diet guru Robert Atkins for $28,000, claiming the eating plan caused his cholesterol levels to soar dangerous levels.

Jody Gorran, 53, took up the low-carbohydrate, high-protein Atkins diet for two years in a bid to lose weight.

He says it raised his cholesterol so much that he had to undergo a medical procedure to unclog blocked arteries.

Mr Gorran's case is being backed by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, who advocate veganism.

He says he wants Atkins products to warn of the potential dangers of raised cholesterol levels.

The diet encourages people to eat low amounts of carbohydrates and higher amounts of fat and protein.

MORE...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my grandmother had 2 massive heart attacks on fatkins & a friend of hers on it died. :dead:

This was waaayy back too....before the fad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
:rolleyes: [sigh] :rolleyes:

The Land of the Freebie and Home of the Victim.
Yep, because it's clearly Atkins' fault that the idiot did no research and didn't think for himself...

Thank god for lawyers who'll make stuff like this right again :rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Actually, as much as I hate stupid ass lawsuits like this, I kind of hope the dude wins. Maybe that will get people to shut the f*ck up about this Atkins crap for a while.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
That guy better home he didn't even SMELL bread or they'll say that is threw the whole system off.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
*Note to self* Sue the piss out of the South Beach Diet guy before someone beats me to it.

*note to self* Sue McDonalds for Super Size me Diet before someone else does... oh wait... damint....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Echo
Actually, as much as I hate stupid ass lawsuits like this, I kind of hope the dude wins. Maybe that will get people to shut the f*ck up about this Atkins crap for a while.
Not to start a debate on atkins or anything, because god knows there's enough, but what's so bad about alot of people wanting to lose weight with a proven diet? Better than people just getting fatter.

Originally posted by BurlySurly
Not to start a debate on atkins or anything, because god knows there's enough, but what's so bad about alot of people wanting to lose weight with a proven diet? Better than people just getting fatter.
nothing wrong with people wanting to lose weight and be healthy.

just be smart about it.

some fats=good
some carbs=good

overdose on anything=bad

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

just be smart about it.

some fats=good
some carbs=good

overdose on anything=bad

My grandmother always said "Everything in Moderation" it's a great tip for not only eating but life to.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

just be smart about it.

some fats=good
some carbs=good

overdose on anything=bad
Of course you gotta be smart about it, but this "I hate atkins" attitude going on is just odd. I mean, we always complain about how fat people are, so we should embrace diet fads, not shun them. Just think, for every fat chick that gets skinny, its like another hottie just waiting to be hit on by me.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
whatever happened to taking responsibility for ones own actions in this country???

DUH! you eat that much fat, what do you think is going to happen to those arteries? sheesh... I swear, common sense IS the missing link!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I say sue Aktins until they are gone. I am tired of seeing all that fad food - they have even started offering it at local resturants here - quit ruining the menu :p

When will people learn there is no quick/lazy fix to everything in life. Dieting does not work. The average weight loss on diets after 5 years is ZERO. You cannot just pop pills, eat some unhealthy diet for awhile, use some overly complex dieting scheme, or get your stomach shrunk. Overtime the unhealthy lifestyle and environment that fosters it will allow them to revert back to their old ways or adapt (ie people with stapled stomachs eating extremely dense high caloric food to compensate for the stomach size change).

You must change you lifestyle and environment you live in to achieve permanent healthy weight loss.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by syadasti
When will people learn there is no quick/lazy fix to everything in life. Dieting does not work. The average weight loss on diets after 5 years is ZERO. You cannot just pop pills, eat some unhealthy diet for awhile, use some overly complex dieting scheme, or get your stomach shrunk. Overtime the unhealthy lifestyle and environment that fosters it will allow them to revert back to their old ways or adapt (ie people with stapled stomachs eating extremely dense high caloric food to compensate for the stomach size change).

You must change you lifestyle and environment you live in to achieve permanent healthy weight loss.
Thank you for putting it much more eloquently than I could :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
fatkins does NOT promote "Good Health" it promotes weightloss.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by syadasti
I say sue Aktins until they are gone. I am tired of seeing all that fad food - they have even started offering it at local resturants here - quit ruining the menu :p

My coworker was eating a low carb breakfast bowl thing from Carls Jr. It looked absolutely HORRIFIC...bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, cheese...(not that I eat a perfectly well balanced diet) but holy crap...she was like do you think this is bad? It's got 2000 calories and I forget how much fat, but I was like jeez...you're skinny but I'd make that the last low carb breakfast bowl I'd ever eat. It was like a heart attack in a bowl.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by The Toninator
fat chic's need love too bro' :) i'll send a few your way, you know you like the big girl love dont deny it. mahalo.
the "occasional fatty" is not something I turn a blind eye to, but c'mon...that's the exception...not the rule. I like em skinny and atkins or any other diet that stops people from eating as much food is my friend. Ahui ho.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by dh girlie
My coworker was eating a low carb breakfast bowl thing from Carls Jr. It looked absolutely HORRIFIC...bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, cheese...(not that I eat a perfectly well balanced diet) but holy crap...she was like do you think this is bad?
According to Carl's Jr's website, 900 calories, 5g carbs, 58g protein, 2000 mg sodium, 73g fat. :eek:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
*Note to self* Sue the piss out of the South Beach Diet guy before someone beats me to it.
Word! All that asparagus causes my urine to smell bad. I can't even pee in a public restroom without pain and suffering.

:rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by dh girlie
Ah, thanks...that was it...2000 mg sodium...this girl is 26 and has high blood pressure and takes medication for it...
The FDA recommends no more than 2500mg sodium per day.

But sh*t, the breakfast bowl is low carb so it's got to be healthy! :D

The FDA recommends no more than 2500mg sodium per day.

But sh*t, the breakfast bowl is low carb so it's got to be healthy! :D
I think health is the last thing on most peoples mind that go on atkins. In most cases they were probably just as unhealthy before the diet as after the diet.... but atleast they wont crush themselves under their own weight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
According to Carl's Jr's website, 900 calories, 5g carbs, 58g protein, 2000 mg sodium, 73g fat. :eek:
For some reason, sodium seems to be the thing no one ever notices. Holy FACK is it loaded in everything. Just check the label next time you pick up pretty much *anything*

It's good to see that they're starting to produce stuff like no-salt-added canned tomatoes, though..........

-S.S.-

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
the "occasional fatty" is not something I turn a blind eye to, but c'mon...that's the exception...not the rule. I like em skinny and atkins or any other diet that stops people from eating as much food is my friend. Ahui ho.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
do people actually read the diets before they jump onto the bandwagon?? Haven't read the fatkins book, but the south beach book is LOADED with "good fats/bad fats, good carbs/bad carbs" type of stuff. The whole point is to eat low fat meals like chicken or good fat such as fish or olive oil. He advocates turkey bacon, turkey burgers, etc. It's not just "bacon cheeseburgers without the bun". From what I've heard about atkins thing is that it's much the same way.

stupid idiots. :angry:
dante

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
someone told me that 'low carb' isn't documented or whatever so companys are sticking that label on everything.

and of course, people being the sheep they are simply see 'low carb' and buy/eat it.

dumb asses.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I was on it in '96 when my cholesterol was dangerously high, and I had high blood pressure. It probably saved my life. Massive amounts of exercise wasn't working (I raced road bikes), but this did.

The problem I see with a lot of people on Adkins is that they aern't doing it 100%. They are on it sometimes, but not all the time. Along with the food, you have to take a lot of different vitamins, and drink a LOT of water. I told a friend of mine a few months ago that if she keeps half-a$$ing the diet, it could kill her. This is not a diet for begginers.

I know it worked for me, but diets effect everyone differently. Plus I am sure this person who had the heart problems didn't follow the diet strictly. In less than a month my cholesterol went from super dangerous to damn near perfect.

Damn Vegan lawyers!