Quantcast

The Best Beer Ever?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Friend threw this at me today, claiming it was the best beer ever. Still sipping it...not mindblowing, but oka.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The best beer is the one you're drinking right now. Except if it's Budweaser or Fosters, then you need a good swift kick in the family jewels.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
maxyedor said:
Can I add Pabst, Miller, Coors, Steel Reserve, and any and all light beer to that list?
Pretty much...anything you find on the side of a NASCAR isn't beer.

Apparently the best beer in the world is Westvleteren trappist ale (at least according to beeradvocate.com). Never had it, but I do hear it is good as well.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the best stuff i've yet to try is from rochefort (belgian trappist). delicious after dinner sipping ales (ie, not the first choice as a summer thirst quencher). the '10' is godly stuff. i just bought half a dozen while on holidays in nova scotia (not distributed in bc). i'm trying to keep a few for cellaring (serious discipline required) - apparently they age quite well (the ones i have are 2 yrs old).

based on the reviews, i'd really love to try the westvleteren. though i imagine some of the hype has to be attributed to its rarity. there are a few us beers that rate up there as well (three floyds, stone brewing), but aren't distributed up here, unfortunately.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Damn all these big beers...I'm still in my summer mood and looking for good IPA's, pale ale's, and wheat's...

I had a Blue Moon the other day against my better judgement. But I must admit, it was pretty tasty. I'll have to explore more of these wit beers.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
xy9ine said:
based on the reviews, i'd really love to try the westvleteren. though i imagine some of the hype has to be attributed to its rarity.
It's really really good. I'm opening up a bottle of the 12 tonight for game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Better than Rochefort? Very very slightly, perhaps. There's not much between them. I'd say the Rochefort is slighly more consistent, but if you get a good Westy...wow. (I imagine a bit of that is due to handling though, Westy doesn't have a distributor, so anything you get may have been mishandled.)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
xy9ine said:
the best stuff i've yet to try is from rochefort (belgian trappist). delicious after dinner sipping ales (ie, not the first choice as a summer thirst quencher). the '10' is godly stuff. i just bought half a dozen while on holidays in nova scotia (not distributed in bc). i'm trying to keep a few for cellaring (serious discipline required) - apparently they age quite well (the ones i have are 2 yrs old).

based on the reviews, i'd really love to try the westvleteren. though i imagine some of the hype has to be attributed to its rarity. there are a few us beers that rate up there as well (three floyds, stone brewing), but aren't distributed up here, unfortunately.
I drank a bunch of that in Oregon. I actually liked the '8' the most I think. Goes well with chocolate cake.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
SkaredShtles said:
That's it. I'm going to try barleywine again......... my last go 'round with it convinced me the stuff is undrikable swampwater. But maybe things have changed. :think:
Try the Stone Old Guardian first if you can find it, the Sierra Nevada is a little too hoppy, IMO. I found that chilling the bottle to a little below room temperature but not too cold makes a world of difference with the barley wines. Although I think that's standard for most full bodied beers, it really seems to magnify the subtle flavors.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Newcastle is all around good. Cold/ Warm. By the pool on a hot day. On the mountain while its snowing. With dinner. Without. Sippin'. Sluggin. Maybe the beer bong, but only when there's a race.

I mean, it's not my favorite, but I think it is a contender for the best beer.

*Shiner is cheap where I live and is a sponsor of my shop.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
tomacdaddy said:
Newcastle is all around good. Cold/ Warm. By the pool on a hot day. On the mountain while its snowing. With dinner. Without. Sippin'. Sluggin. Maybe the beer bong, but only when there's a race.
Actually it isn't good for any of those..... :think:

I mean, it's not my favorite, but I think it is a contender for the best beer.
How could it possibly be the best if you like others better? :confused: :confused:

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Actually it isn't good for any of those..... :think:

How could it possibly be the best if you like others better? :confused: :confused:
I drink a lot of beers.

I think Newcastle is consisent. If I had to pick only one beer, it is what it is. Don't try and make it more than that. If you can't stand it, so be it.

What is your best beer ever?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
xy9ine said:
based on the reviews, i'd really love to try the westvleteren. though i imagine some of the hype has to be attributed to its rarity.
Believe the hype. I drank it in Belgium, and it was fantastic. I gladly pay $8 per 12 oz bottle when I find it at my beer place in Brooklyn.

Rochefort & Westvleteren are my 2 favorites of the Belgians.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
tomacdaddy said:
I drink a lot of beers.

I think Newcastle is consisent. If I had to pick only one beer, it is what it is. Don't try and make it more than that. If you can't stand it, so be it.

What is your best beer ever?
Have you ever had the Brooklyn Brown? If you dig brown ales (which you apparently do), I'd think you would die for Brooklyn.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
That's a pretty good one. One of my pals was a brewmaster at GD. That was awesome -- he usually brings a mixed case every time he comes out. Now at Flying Dog. Shtles....you'd like the Snake Dog if you haven't tried it already.
Here is one of my German food favorites. Luckiily, it comes in the big bottles.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
tomacdaddy said:
That's a pretty good one. One of my pals was a brewmaster at GD. That was awesome -- he usually brings a mixed case every time he comes out. Now at Flying Dog. Shtles....you'd like the Snake Dog if you haven't tried it already.
I actually like Flying Dog's Doggie Style better than the Snake. It's actually hoppier and a bit more bitter. They both pale in the face of Titan, though.

I presume you've tried the Hercules? :eek: Talk about nectar of the gods........ :drool:

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I've had it. Like it for the wrong reasons.

To be honest, I don't really drink hoppy beers. I broke my jaw a while ago and now sometimes(often) really cold beer and a hint of bitterness causes immense pain in the facial area and I have to revert to water. Wrote off Sierra a long time ago. It's not something I like to talk about:nopity: , but I have to deal with it every day. I was pleased to find they served Guiness at varying temps in the UK.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
tomacdaddy said:

To be honest, I don't really drink hoppy beers. I broke my jaw a while ago and now sometimes(often) really cold beer and a hint of bitterness causes immense pain in the facial area and I have to revert to water. Wrote off Sierra a long time ago. It's not something I like to talk about:nopity: , but I have to deal with it every day. I was pleased to find they served Guiness at varying temps in the UK.
You poor, poor man. :( That's the saddest story I've heard in a long time.

I don't drink any of my beer "really cold" anymore........ it almost all tastes better at cellar temp.

Cheers!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
My favorite beers;

Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Bridgeport IPA
Widmere Hefeweizen

I won't say that they are the best, but that is my current set of favorites.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
tomacdaddy said:

I shall drink hoppy beers in your honor. That is about the worst thing I think I have ever heard <sobs>

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Thanks for the support. It's an affliction I am trying to overcome one beer at a time.

I'll keep my eyes out for the Brooklyn Brown....always looking for something new and in a 'light' beer....its usually a brown ale.

We've been drinking a lot of Palisade Farmer's Friend lately. Not really exceptional, but worth trying. Has a nice hoppy smell, but a peaceful smooth taste. Try it.