Quantcast

The best beer I've ever had.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
fonseca said:
I don't know. Sometimes the next one I have turns out to be pretty crappy. But maybe you look to the future and I look to the past. I can't remember the terminology for those mindsets...too much beer (New Belgium Abbey Ale, a good example of not the best beer I've ever had. I feel let down, considering how good fat tire is.).
Me too. Like the Hop Devil from Victory. For me a big disappointment. Oh - and Fat Tire. Blech. Maybe I've drunk too much of it over the last decade. :p

-S.S.-

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
My Colorado trip is over, but the beers are still available thanks to a 50lb carry-on suitcase dedicated to bottled brew. I was "Selected for special screening" at the Denver airport. They make it sound like an honor to have your belongings removed from their bags and left scattered across several tables. One of the security guys asked if it was really beer in all the bottles, and said [in seriousness] that they might need to open them. I didn't find that amusing. Fortunately none were sacrificed for the safety of our nation, and only my dignity was violated as I was searched/groped by an obese security officer in front of a long line of onlookers.

Brought back some 22oz bottles of Fat Tire. I can't remember ever seeing it for sale around here Skared, so it has the newness factor going for it. In the words of Austin Powers, it's a bit nutty. It seriously has a roasted peanut taste. It's decent, especially for the price, but I don't understand all the fuss. In fact, I wasn't too impressed with any of New Belgium's offerings. None of them did anything for me, especially the double and trippel, ugh. So I'm finishing off the last one tonight to get to the good stuff.

Speaking of good stuff, Pyramid's Apricot Ale is without a doubt the best fruit-flavored beer I've ever tried. I'm not usually a fan of the genre, but wow. Pleasant apricot taste with none of the usual overpowering fruitbeer sweetnes. I hope I can get this in VA. I love it. This could be my new regular. Anyone looking for a new beer to try, TRY THIS. I've had non-beer drinkers sample it, and even they found it to be good. It's a crowd pleaser while still having appeal for the beer aficionado. This was the only non-Colorado beer I tried while there, and had to bring a supply back.

A supply which is quickly dwindling...

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Tonight's beer of choice is Tommyknocker's Maple Nut Brown Ale.

Very rich maple syrup aroma, and more than a hint of sweet maple flavor. A nice medium-bodied brown, but not really what I look for in a brown. I couldn't drink more than one of these at a time. So I'm switching to...

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
...Tommyknocker's Ornery Amber. Now this I can drink several of. In fact I just did. What the heck, I'm off tomorrow. Nice hoppiness, awesome fruity aroma, great rich, dry taste. I'd buy this again for sure, unlike the brown ale. Great amber.

Attachments

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
fonseca said:
<snip>
Brought back some 22oz bottles of Fat Tire. I can't remember ever seeing it for sale around here Skared, so it has the newness factor going for it. In the words of Austin Powers, it's a bit nutty. It seriously has a roasted peanut taste. It's decent, especially for the price, but I don't understand all the fuss. In fact, I wasn't too impressed with any of New Belgium's offerings.
Ummmmm....... I could've warned you. :p

[snip]Speaking of good stuff, Pyramid's Apricot Ale is without a doubt the best fruit-flavored beer I've ever tried. I'm not usually a fan of the genre, but wow. Pleasant apricot taste with none of the usual overpowering fruitbeer sweetnes. I hope I can get this in VA. I love it. This could be my new regular. Anyone looking for a new beer to try, TRY THIS. I've had non-beer drinkers sample it, and even they found it to be good. It's a crowd pleaser while still having appeal for the beer aficionado. This was the only non-Colorado beer I tried while there, and had to bring a supply back.
That was my wife's intro to "micro" beer. She had that years ago when she lived in California. I never cared for it much, but she certainly liked it alot.

Didn't get any Great Divide Hercules, eh? Oh - I also should've told you about the GIANT liquor store right off I-70 on your way up the ski resorts..... sorry.

-S.S.-

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
SkaredShtles said:
Didn't get any Great Divide Hercules, eh? Oh - I also should've told you about the GIANT liquor store right off I-70 on your way up the ski resorts..... sorry.
No Hercules.

I saw that liquor store, wish I had stopped.

Didn't make it to Flying Dog in Denver either. It was fustrating. Here we were in CO with all these awesome things to see and do, and my group was only interested in skiing and then watching TV at the lodge afterwards. We could have hit up several good breweries in Denver, but I was overruled and we ate at Bennigans and a Wendys instead. Ugh. Same sh*t you can get in any city in the US.

I'm off the Tommyknocker, wish I hadn't brought back so much now. The Wheat Ale With Lemon Grass is what did it. Not worthy of a photo. Tastes like yeasty overcarbonated club soda with ass. This really had me regretting buying all the TK I did. I rate it as the worst beer I have ever had.

I did drink a few of the "Butthead Doppelbock Lagers" before that, which is an excellent lager, with the strength of an ale if not the body. But I had to go and buy a sixer of Raison this past week to purify myself of the TK wheat ale experience. The taste still makes me shudder.

So it's back to Belgium. The Val Dieu abbey ale was cheap compared to most belgians, although it seems to be a new creation "based" on an old recipe, which may be why. Cloudy with yeast, mildly astringant, champagne-like carbonation, and a great flavor. Belgian ales are my true calling. :drool:

Attachments

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
fonseca said:
No Hercules.

I saw that liquor store, wish I had stopped.
Keep it in mind for next time. But remember - no credit cards.

Didn't make it to Flying Dog in Denver either. It was fustrating. Here we were in CO with all these awesome things to see and do, and my group was only interested in skiing and then watching TV at the lodge afterwards. We could have hit up several good breweries in Denver, but I was overruled and we ate at Bennigans and a Wendys instead. Ugh. Same sh*t you can get in any city in the US.
Sounds like your group needed a good :nuts:

I'm off the Tommyknocker, wish I hadn't brought back so much now. The Wheat Ale With Lemon Grass is what did it. Not worthy of a photo. Tastes like yeasty overcarbonated club soda with ass. This really had me regretting buying all the TK I did. I rate it as the worst beer I have ever had.
Yeah - TK is really pretty bland. The other thing is they're *really* inconsistent. I've had decent IPA and bad IPA there.....

I had a cask-conditioned Scottish ale at the brewery once that was *terrible*.......

-S.S.-

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Shakespeare Stout from Rogue Brewery in the PNW. It's a meal in a glass: appetizer, main course and dessert.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fonseca said:
We could have hit up several good breweries in Denver, but I was overruled and we ate at Bennigans and a Wendys instead. Ugh. Same sh*t you can get in any city in the US.
that's the worst. f those people.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Recently Kirin have been putting out some interesting brews. No additives stuff that have to be drunk within 60 days. The have a white ale which is very nice. Definitely the nicest Japanese beer I've ever had. Little more pricey than the usual swill but worth it. They also have a latte stout which is not really my cup of tea but good in the sense that there are no domestic stouts that I know of apart from Asahi stout that is only available on tap at selected bars. I hope their experiments continue.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
valve bouncer said:
Recently Kirin have been putting out some interesting brews.
I'll admit to downing the occasional Kirin/Asahi/Sapporo when eating sushi, but that's as far as I'll go. At least they have the honesty to admit it's a rice beer, unlike the US domestics that pretend to be the real stuff. They may even be proud of it. :think: I've never seen anything but the regular lagers, but then again I've never really looked. I know microbrews are getting popular in Japan though.

My recent choices have included some new ones for me. Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine, for instance. Decent, up to SN's usual standards. Just like I'd expect a good barleywine to taste. But local Richmond brewery Richbrau does it better IMO, maybe because bottled can't be compared to a fresh draught. I wouldn't buy it again for the $10 per sixer it sells for. Too many other great brews at that price.

Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye Ale, on the other hand, will definitely make its way into my fridge again. Damned good. Very apparent rye aroma and pleasant rye flavor balanced well with the strength and moderate hoppiness of the ale (geez I sound like a wine snob). Loads of sediment in the bottle, pours cloudy, and it really opens up as it comes closer to room temperature. Next time I'm not serving it till it's well over 50 degrees.

And finally, I have been drinking local stuff, and paying too much even by the growler, but local breweries Legend and Richbrau are distributed in bottles somewhat, which is a bit cheaper (although why I'll never understand). So I picked up a few bottles of Legend's Trippel. Although I prefer doubles more than trippels, I'll still take a trippel any day, and this one is excellent. I must say that my favorite local brewery got this one right. Perfect amount of carbonation, not the overdone champagne-like amount which seems somewhat common. Dry, but not to the point of tartness like some other trippels, and the slight sour yeastiness is just right. 10% ABV could be a bit higher, this lacks only the alcohol burn that some of the stronger Belgian trippels have. Doesn't taste any fresher than any other bottled microbrews though.

That's it for this past week (Yes it's Monday. Holiday weekend means an extra day of laziness). No real winners. The search continues.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I've tried some great beers in the last month.

Nothing like Pyramid's Apricot Ale. Tart, very subdued apricot taste and aroma that's closer to mariju--er, hemp in flavor than apricots. It adds a pleasant dimension, but it's definitely an IPA first and fruit beer second. A bit spendy at $9 per 4.

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale is excellent. Not enough kick for my tastes, but I'd buy it again.

Legend's Doppelbock is awesome. I can't believe I like a lager this much. I recommend it if you can get it in your area.

Another Humboldt brew. I like it. Very mild, pleasant beer, with a delicate honeyed aroma and taste. Good choice for Summer. Not enough kick to be a regular choice for me.

Not what I expected from Paulaner. It was only okay.

I bought this one solely for the Bosch artwork on the label. I think this could have been decent, but sadly it was skunked.

I have a bunch of good belgian stuff in the fridge. Dogfish Raison is still the undefeated champion. I've also been drinking A lot of Arrogant Bastard.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Man, this forum is dead. Everyone must be abstaining in preparation for the coming riding season.

Not Me. :thumb:

I've finally found something as good as Grimbergen's double. Really. Avery Brewing CO's The Reverend, a Belgian style quadruple ale, 10% ABV. It's freaking awesome. Especially after two 22oz bottles, even more. . .awesome. Brewed with Belgian candy sugar, it has a taste and body almost identical to Grimbergen, but at exactly 1/5th the cost as it's brewed in CO. I love it. Although I've tried some other brews over the last half year that are just as good, if not better. Maybe not the best, but in the top five for sure.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
fonseca said:
I've finally found something as good as Grimbergen's double. Really. Avery Brewing CO's The Reverend, a Belgian style quadruple ale, 10% ABV. It's freaking awesome. Especially after two 22oz bottles, even more. . .awesome. Brewed with Belgian candy sugar, it has a taste and body almost identical to Grimbergen, but at exactly 1/5th the cost as it's brewed in CO. I love it. Although I've tried some other brews over the last half year that are just as good, if not better. Maybe not the best, but in the top five for sure.

Yes, the Reverend Rocks. In fact, he's rocking my beer frig right now. Hmmm, may have to open that one up. Thanks for the reminder!

BTW, I'm a little surprised that you didn't like the Salvator. It's one of my all-time favorites. A little cloying in large quantities, but that's why they make a hefe-weizen (to wash the Salvator down with!).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
fonseca said:
<snip>
I've finally found something as good as Grimbergen's double. Really. Avery Brewing CO's The Reverend, a Belgian style quadruple ale, 10% ABV.
Hmmmm....... just had an Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA on Saturday. Too bad I was already $hitty from the mojitos. It was tasty, though, even in my inebriated state:

"The newest beer to the Avery family is now available. The Maharaja - Imperial IPA is royally welcomed to Colorado. Weighing in at a huge 112 ibs's, and 9.7% abv, The Maharaja is a maniacal display of hops and malts. This newest Avery Dictator completes the "Dictator Series" joining the likes of The Kaiser & The Czar. Be aware that the Maharaja is a limited release only available for the summer. Welcome to his kingdom!"

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
berkshire_rider said:
Not really, just have a bunch of beer in the fridge, and haven't needed to buy any lately. However, I picked up these today:
Neat, I dig the Fat Angel.

I bought a growler (64 oz jug) of Otter Creek Copper Ale this weekend. Friends and I enjoyed.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Nothing like Pyramid's Apricot Ale. Tart, very subdued apricot taste and aroma that's closer to mariju--er, hemp in flavor than apricots. It adds a pleasant dimension, but it's definitely an IPA first and fruit beer second. A bit spendy at $9 per 4.
:stupid:

The Fat Angel was better than the Dogfish Apricot, although it wasn't bad.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey,

It's awesome to see that so many people have discovered Ommegang. I live near the brewery and it's a great place to check out if you're ever near Cooperstown. There's another brewery just down the road too.

Besides Ommegang, one of my favorite beers is Magic Hat number 9 (though all of their brews are great!) from VT.

Beth

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Speaking of Ommegang...

Just look at that caramel-colored head. I should have taken a photo with light on the glass, as this beer has such a nice ruby color.

It's very good indeed, although there's something strange about it. Almost a wine tannin quality, it has a bitter spice taste or something. I can't describe it, but after drinking two in a row it really started to bother me. Of course, after 44oz of strong brew my mind doesn't always do right. :o:

Anyway, I'm done with it for a while. The good news is that I have a bottle of Rare Vos and Three Philoshophers, neither of which I have ever tried. And I can almost guarantee that I bought every bottle of The Reverend that's in Richmond. I'm stocked up through the Summer. Probably longer, since I'm going to try and strictly limit my beer intake after April. This has to stop. I could have bought some nice bike parts with what I've spent on beer since December. Silver, The Reverend is a bit on the sweet side, but I really like it, it balances well with the strength.

I've never seen fat Angel before, but I'll look for it.

Fathead said:
BTW, I'm a little surprised that you didn't like the Salvator. It's one of my all-time favorites.
It was good, but I had no idea I was getting something like that. I had also had a few light weizens before it, so it came as a suprise. I'll pick it up again sometime and drink it more objectively.

Hmmm. I don't have much in the way of a Favorite beer, but heres a list of what I sample regularly. I usually choose beer based on alcohol content which is odd, but the high octane beers do taste great.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue is awesome...actually anything from Rogue brewery in Oregon is awesome.

Brother David's Trippel from Anderson Valley Brewing is about a 10% alcohol content beer and tates yummy... other good beers from Anderson Valley are they're Hop Ottin IPA, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.

Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball and Sirius ales are really good

Stone Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, and Ruination Ipa are favorites

Delirium Tremens and Nocturnum are tasty and come in cool bottles

Mendocino Brewing has Eye of the Hawk and Talon Barleywine which are awesome

North Coast Brewery has Pranqster, Old Rasputin Imperial Stout which are great

I dunno, I like a lot of beers. My grocery store has a huge selection of microbrews, foreign, domestic, and everything in between...we even have mead.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got some Rogue Brutal Bitter last Friday and that's pretty good. i don't like the Rogue porter, but the dead guy ale and shakespeare stout are all very good.

i also found some anderson valley hop ottin IPA a few weeks ago which was good. currently enjoying a Magic Hat HI.P.A, which is nice.

heading to the real ale fest this week (www.nerax.org); any other boston-area people gonna make it? am thinking of hitting the thursday night time.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
fonseca said:
The good news is that I have a bottle of Rare Vos and Three Philoshophers, neither of which I have ever tried.
Both very good. 3P is a sipper if I ever had one. It's definitely not something to be rushed.

Nice photo! :thumb: