Quantcast

the best dh pedal ever?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i think they mean bearing wear...anyway bearings that small will die quickly. doesn't matter if they're sealed or how expensive they are.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nah somebody will find something to complain about. I'm not a big fan of the huge bulge on the end, I feel like I'd keep standing on it. Plus the open axle makes me think that it would pack up with mud and then the dirt would just work its way into the bearings from there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
as somebody who owns one of the two designs, and has ridden both.

Best pedal ever:

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/pedals

Actually, no idea how either pedal will hold up long term/mud and water, so I wont go so far as to say "OMFG BEST PED4L EV4R 0MGZ!1!!1!one!, but on pedal feel alone, its the best pedal I've ever ridden (including straitline, 26, only hopped on the point one for a bit though, syncros, and pretty much every other 'botique' pedal out there). But those point ones look incredibly sick, I will not deny.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i think they mean bearing wear...anyway bearings that small will die quickly. doesn't matter if they're sealed or how expensive they are.
I know that they were talking about the bearings, but still - EVERYTHING is susceptible to wear. Especially bearings. Just because they're using cartridge bearings instead of bushings doesn't mean their pedals won't wear out - and claiming they won't makes the product suspect in my mind. If the company thinks they won't wear, how much confidence should I have in anything else they think?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
as somebody who owns one of the two designs, and has ridden both.

Best pedal ever:

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/pedals

Actually, no idea how either pedal will hold up long term/mud and water, so I wont go so far as to say "OMFG BEST PED4L EV4R 0MGZ!1!!1!one!, but on pedal feel alone, its the best pedal I've ever ridden (including straitline, 26, only hopped on the point one for a bit though, syncros, and pretty much every other 'botique' pedal out there). But those point ones look incredibly sick, I will not deny.

They feel better then Syncros????? It looks like you foot will rest on the round part of the axle??? I will say they look awesome, ar light and I love the increase in ground clearance. Are the Canfields available???? direct only or are distributors carrying them?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
No idea about dealers, I ordered directly

They just replaced a set of syncros mental mags that I've had for the past 2-3 years that I've been nothing but happy with. Great great pedals, very very grippy, and a nice concave feel. I didn't really have any complaints with them until I got on the canfields, but now getting back on them feels like I have to balance on my pedals instead of feeling like I'm "in" them, for lack of better description. I'm planning on ordering another set for my DJ bike already.

I will add, they feel flat (but its actually a good thing since they sit so low), you can't feel the axle or the inner bulge, you can feel the outer bulge distinctly. At first, I really noticed it, but your foot sits on the inside of it and it cups your foot, rather then your foot going over it and making the pedal feel convex. (I have size 10.5 feet, but my roommate has 13 and feels the same), so I really don't notice it much now and consider it a plus when I do happen to think about it. No squeaking with 5.10 shoes on the axle (as I'd heard there was over on MTBR).

anyway, back on topic, I'm a complete pedal whore, and for the most part, while I like some pedals more then others for shape and feel, for most pedals (all of the high end ones) with 5.10's, grip isn't really a problem, and I don't feel like any pedal has made me faster or slower until I got on these. Not alot faster, but definitely a little more in control on chatter sections.

edit: The point one's look pretty rad though, and they have a pretty rad northstar video in their testing section

edit: 3: I just wrote alot of stuff about pedals.

Last edited:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
They feel better then Syncros????? It looks like you foot will rest on the round part of the axle??? I will say they look awesome, ar light and I love the increase in ground clearance. Are the Canfields available???? direct only or are distributors carrying them?
I'm on these pedals too. After more riding this weekend, I can say for sure, that performance and feel wise, these are hands down the best pedals I've been on. Using 5.10 impacts. I wasn't too stoked when I had the short pins in, but now they are perfect.

If you use the longer pins, the foot does not ride on the axle at all.

E-spec all you guys want, there is no way to know how good these feel until, you try them. If they last me one season of PNW riding, I will be buying several more sets to put on all of my bikes. So far, worth every penny. :thumb:

I noticed about a 70% reduction in pedal strikes. Sometimes I would need a 150mm crank to keep from bashing into exposed roots on tight corners. Not a perfect solution, but still helped tons. One thing to note, that when they do strike, they feel like they bounce off easier than other pedals which seem to hang up more. With the Canfields, it's bash, slide, and keep going.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
off on a tangent, but anyone know how much the twenty6 prerunner pedals will retail for?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just so noone gets confused I thought I'd put up a photo of the actual best downhill pedal :p

The older type with the red alloy cage are better.

to bad they don't make them anymore

good thing we have a spare set for whenever somebody wants to run clipless.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
after this Platte race, i realized the most questions (15+ individuals) asked were about my pedals.

www.darkcycles.ca click on products and then they are the arachnid pedals.

these are hands down, the best pedal I've ever used. Light, durable, all replaceable pins(not screws, which is important for replaceability), concave... what more do you want?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

As long as there is no mud. They are the worst clipless pedal for wet conditions. Even with my wery slow engaging atomlab I feel better than on the old dx due to the mud problem. Too bad time and cranks aren't the most hitproof pedals on the market as it means I won't be satisfied with a clipless pedal untill I find a way for mine to engage quicker (have an idea). I may after all go canfield/point way if I find a big pile of cash somewhere as the flat pedal idea has been haunting me for a while.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
after this Platte race, i realized the most questions (15+ individuals) asked were about my pedals.

these are hands down, the best pedal I've ever used. Light, durable, all replaceable pins(not screws, which is important for replaceability), concave... what more do you want?
Syncros, straitline, 26, point one, and plenty of others all make pedals that are light, durable, replaceable pins (maybe screws for some?) and concave or flat. also arguably better platforms, and better support. Pedals go out from time to time. Syncros offered to rebuild my pedals free of charge if I'd give them an hour, or they would just give me the replacement bushings free. After 2 years of use, it only had a tiny bit of play. Can't complain about that.

There are lots of great pedals out there, but so far the only two to really distinguish themselves as far as I'm concerned are the canfields and the flypapers, and you had to run a proprietary crank for the flypapers.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
the canfields will be my next pedals (they'll also go nicely with the Jedi)

fwiw, the Dark Arachnid also clears mud incredibly well, something that the other similar designs probably don't do quite as well because they have a fuller platform, just by looking at many of them.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
off on a tangent, but anyone know how much the twenty6 prerunner pedals will retail for?
My guess will be in the $250-$300 US price range. This price is with the Ti spindle. I ordered two pairs about a week ago should be ready to ship in 2 weeks

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

hey, those look like the reset-racing Pedal1 !
i like these, and if they were not 350,-€ (the "cheap" version), i'd probably buy them for their look...

the more luxurious version (Ti axle) costs 450,-€.
i can't imagine anyone spending that amount of money on pedals. i ride kona wah-wahs for 70,-€ :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
hey, those look like the reset-racing Pedal1 !
i like these, and if they were not 350,-€ (the "cheap" version), i'd probably buy them for their look...

the more luxurious version (Ti axle) costs 450,-€.
i can't imagine anyone spending that amount of money on pedals. i ride kona wah-wahs for 70,-€ :thumb:
Yeah but as far as I remember they are still the lightest alu bodied pedals on the market ;) And Reset guys are kinda mad about quality though I have to agree the price on them is bad (like on half of the crazy high tech euro brands)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

636. I still have 4-5 sets in my tool box. I used to offer kids pedaling around campus with them $30 and a set of flats. Always worked, ended up for 10-12 sets at one point. Killed or lost most, but still have my remaining sets for parts.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
These have always been my fav pedals for whatever reason...and I've got a set in ano purple now too so they are even better!

-ska todd

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On that note I have some atomlabs from forever ago and have no reason to switch to anything else. They're as flat as necessary, and it cracks me up that people say "if you run the pins long enough, you don't feel the hump"...then what's the point? At that point you're pedal is as thin as a normal cage with shorter pins...

The best...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The pins of the exotic reset pedals are mega sharp,never seen pedals with pins that sharp.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
On that note I have some atomlabs from forever ago and have no reason to switch to anything else. They're as flat as necessary, and it cracks me up that people say "if you run the pins long enough, you don't feel the hump"...then what's the point? At that point you're pedal is as thin as a normal cage with shorter pins...

The best...
They are not though. Even running the longer pins, the canfields are still way more thin. Plus, you only run the long pins on the inside part of the pedal. I run the short pins on the outside so my heel drops to almost even with the spindle height. Good freakin luck trying to find a concave pedal in production that lets the heel drop that much. Flypapers maybe, but I wouldn't consider those to really be in production. Seem more like prototypes.

Other thing is that the pins are 3mm not 4mm so the shoe digs into the pedal more.

Slightly feeling the bulge is A GREAT THING! It adds pressure to the outside part of the foot for hard cornering, and gives you an instant feel for where your foot is planted, which can be harder with other pedals.

Canfields are very unique in that they are concave left to right, but convex front to back. I'm 100% sold on this setup. It just feels so much more natural than with regular concave pedals.

Seriously guys? Who the heck are we trying to fool here? $150 is not a lot of money for a high end set of pedals when you factor in the price of all the other blingy crap we put onto our bikes. Is the price not justified because it doesn't come in 15 ano colors? ;)

when has Canfield ever produced a pointless product? They've always been on the leading edge of performance. That's what made it easy for me to jump on the pedals without even seeing them in person.

May 27, 2009
when has Canfield ever produced a pointless product? T
your right, they must have sold a TON of these....

In all seriousness, point one pedals and the canfield both seem pretty nice though. The po1nt pedals look just sick
The axle on the canfields is lower than the body, so what happends when you smack a rocks on the axle? At least on the po1nt pedals they body is big enough to protect the axle. Am im willing to bet the with the big bulges and long pins and everything you effective CG is higher the the po1nt pedals....

Either way its good to see companies pushing the limits and not make the same old stuff everyone else is...

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
your right, they must have sold a TON of these....

In all seriousness, point one pedals and the canfield both seem pretty nice though. The po1nt pedals look just sick
The axle on the canfields is lower than the body, so what happends when you smack a rocks on the axle? At least on the po1nt pedals they body is big enough to protect the axle. Am im willing to bet the with the big bulges and long pins and everything you effective CG is higher the the po1nt pedals....

Either way its good to see companies pushing the limits and not make the same old stuff everyone else is...
haha. that thing was pretty sick for its time!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Seriously guys? Who the heck are we trying to fool here? $150 is not a lot of money for a high end set of pedals when you factor in the price of all the other blingy crap we put onto our bikes. Is the price not justified because it doesn't come in 15 ano colors? ;)
I'd understand that if there was at least one clipless pedal at the prices of the top flat pedal. Let's be honest - most of the top level pedals are priced for their bling factor even though many of them pack some performance. What i'd really want is some more nice performing, decent priced pedals for a good price (except heavy non mag syncros and the various names of the HT/Kona/Diety/Nuke pedals).

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
I have a pair of Straitlines. Sticky, bombproof, and fairly light.

I do hope e.13 eventually releases their pedal design which has been discussed few times around here. From what I've seen, I;d love to give them a try.