Quantcast

The "biking related mistakes you only make once" thread

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
That reminds me of - drinking 12 red bulls 30mins before my race run.
Made that mistake too. I was thirsty and there was free Red Bull at the top. Drank a few and felt more than a little jittery in the start gate. Also once raced extremely hungover. My main goal was not puking in my helmet (luckily, accomplished).

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Made that mistake too. I was thirsty and there was free Red Bull at the top. Drank a few and felt more than a little jittery in the start gate. Also once raced extremely hungover. My main goal was not puking in my helmet (luckily, accomplished).
Hangover plus 2 hours of sleep. My main goal was to not fall and go to sleep between the tape. It sounded like a really tempting idea at the time.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
So, I somehow thought it would be a good idea to engage the Raceface luchalibre in a full-on wrestling match while I was working a booth at Interbike a few years ago. I was in a skort. It wasn't really the most professional or prudent thing to do.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Years ago I rode a 70km round trip on Tioga DH tires to watch a club level Downhill race, it was on the next weekend.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Let's see my biggest mistakes.

Getting on the Mammoth Mtn. billboard and not even getting a free lift ticket.

Racing Fontoilet

Never adjusting my suspension

Never checking air pressure

Running Crank Bros. pedals

Using Avid brakes

RACING PRO....biggest 3 year mistake ever. Love it yet hate it haha.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Putting any kind of trust in Tioga Factory DH tires. There was factory nor dh about them and it cost me a broken collarbone in Whistler.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Putting any kind of trust in Tioga Factory DH tires. There was factory nor dh about them and it cost me a broken collarbone in Whistler.
Those are decent tires... not fully dh, but good tires imo. On super hardpack, they're not great.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I have just relived so many face palm moments;

• Using near bald specialized tires on wet greasy grass = broken RH wrist
  • Leaving camel bak bladder at home - did this just yesterday.
  • Leaving shoes at home.
  • Leaving helmet at home.
  • Allowing "team mates" alone with bike at the start of 24 hour endurance race. I was the starter = seat post sliding to lowest position 10m from the start line - hilarity ensued for the crowd.
  • Thinking "I can hit that jump" at the first DH race of the season = broken LH wrist plus ribs, plus various other injuries.
  • Driving 2.5 hours to ride only to learn the shuttle is off for the day due to bad weather.
  • Buying WTB tyres.
  • Riding Nevegals for one ride - I got a flat and hated them.
  • Buying Manitou Black forks.
  • Buying Crank Bros 50/50's.
  • Buying a used Yet DH6.
  • Trying to dismantle a 2004 Demo 9 rear end - WTF??
  • Thinking I could ride a 30 mile back country XC ride with 15 miles of climbing on a 8 speed GT Ruckus in downhill guise in the rain.
  • Plus many, many more.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I love my Crank Bros pedals. Never had an issue.

I run Acids on the trail bike, 50/50 on the DH bike and Candys on the road and track bike.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Got all the way to the TH...hour and a half away. Bikes locked in back of truck on the rack with a heavy duty chain and padlock. Keys to said padlock sitting on the kitchen counter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This happened on 1st Divide this weekend. Always put your inside foot down, not the one you usually dismount with:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Holy crap! :eek: Backstory?
For the most part, the video IS the back story. The rest of the story is that Miles recovered and went on to kick a** and take names at numerous endurance events afterwards. He's an amazingly strong rider. He helped me train for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo this past Feb. I'd be on my geared bike for some 6-mile climb, and he'd be on his singlespeed. I told him I was actually at a disadvantage because of the weight penalty I took with all those chain rings, gears, and derailleurs. :rofl:

He's been nursing other injuries (Achilles tendon, I think) recently, but is still riding.