Quantcast

The Bullit setup...whadday think? (x-post from beginners)

Hey everyone,
Mind taking a look at my setup and telling me what you think? This bike is setup for aggressive trail riding and light downhill riding (maybe beginner DH racing) and some minor 3-4 foot drops.

Frame: 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit hand-polished
Fork: RockShox Pike Team Air
Stem: Thomson 70mm
Handlebars: Easton Monkeylite DH
Headset: King
Brakes: Mag HD 8" front 6" rear
Front wheel: WTB dual duty Laserdisc DH 20mm hub
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatclamp: who knows
Seat: WTB Laser V DH
Cranks: Race Face Northshore triple
BB: FSA Extreme
Rear shock: 5th element coil
Rear cassette: XT
Pedals: Shimano 515 or Crank bros Mallet C
Rear wheel: Mavic D321 XT hub
Tires: IRC Trailbear 2.35
Shifters: LX
Grips:ODI lockons

Attachments

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The fork seems undersized compared to the rest of the build.
DH bars, Laserdisc Dh rims, and NS cranks are overkill for a bike that only needs a Pike Air. I know they are competent forks, but the build on my DH race bike is lighter.

If I were you, I would either upgrade the fork to something stouter and longer travel, or save some weight and replace the parts mentioned.

buildyourown said:
The fork seems undersized compared to the rest of the build.
DH bars, Laserdisc Dh rims, and NS cranks are overkill for a bike that only needs a Pike Air. I know they are competent forks, but the build on my DH race bike is lighter.

If I were you, I would either upgrade the fork to something stouter and longer travel, or save some weight and replace the parts mentioned.
Cool, what do you suggest? z1 150mm?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Had one for quite a while.

Ditch the 5th and go Fox RC w/ custom tuning.

Ditch the pike and go Fox 36 RC VAN. or Z150 (used...) or new Z1 150mm

SRAM 34T cassette and shifters.

Everything else looks good.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
gmac said:

Why ditch the 5th ? I think it will outlast the Fox..... :confused:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Agree the 5th is good for a suspension setup like the Bullit and will give Endoing the opportunity to tune the suspension just the way he wants and adjust it to differnet kinds of riding. If he is floating around in money and wanted another rear shock there is also several other options than the RC I would recommend. Anyway I would want some riding time on any bike before I started to change anything and it seems like Endoing already has the bike build.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
gmac said:

It sounds like a fun bike! I would not "ditch" a 5th for a Fox RC. It wouldn't make much sense to switch out a modern rear shock for an old Fox RC. That's some of the worst advice I have ever heard given...no offense. :D

As for the Pike, if you already have the fork, ride and see what you think. Personally, I would want a bigger fork on a Bullit, but if you like it, keep it. If not, a Super T would be a good choice.

Well, I don't have better pics than I just posted becuase I just sent the Fork in for repair on one of the seals.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I am probably going to trade this frame for a Heckler frame becuase it suits more of what I ride around here.

After I get the fork back if I am still not happy with it I'll pick up a 150mm Z1.

David

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
i agree that that fork doesn't fit the bike/build too well. i had a a 130mm fork on my bullit for a few months (broke my super T) and i hated the way the it made the bike feel. the geometry just sucked in my opinion. I just recently put a (7") 888 on it and it feels perfect.

hecklers are nice too.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Regarding the 5th:

Ditch it.

The Fox RC when tuned (Pushed, Flowed...) is a set and forget component like a King headset.

Once it is custom tuned/setup you can forget about it and ride.

Is it the best possible suspension device you can use ? Could others argue it isn't ? Or something else is better because: of XYZ ? Of course

All a matter of opinion really.

I've ridden both. The Fox is my choice.

Simple and rides great w/ the Bullit.

Also, I have owned both Heckler and Bullit. I think you will be surprised how little difference there is. DH vs XC is really the question to ask. Plus keep the adjustable HA in mind. Only one has it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st look @ my new signature:

The 5th simply put is a loser. And, so is anyone who has ever recommended one. Or, even seen one for that matter (even just once) :stupid:

Interesting inputs. I am starting to just lean more towad keeping the Bullit and riding what I have. I had a PUSHd Fox Float on my old heckler and I was very impressed. I'll probably wait for this 5th to fail and grab a PUSHd vanilla.

Now as far as the fork.

The Pike gives a decent slack in the HT but what other SC forks are out there in that price range that will work? I have had mixed reviews on the z150s and the 05 150mm Z1s are a bit pricey. I have been reading that the 66RCs are a bit too tall for the Bullit.

So the so many times revisted question. What is a great SC, afforbale fork that I can use for aggressive trail riding with light FR and DHing mixed in?

FR Dragon

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
endoing said:
So the so many times revisted question. What is a great SC, afforbale fork that I can use for aggressive trail riding with light FR and DHing mixed in?
Basically a Pike...but since it doesn't really fit well in your bike you might wanna look at one of the Z1 FR 2/3 since they're cheaper then the FR1, they can still be put on 150mm with a marzocch kit...

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Z150 is a mint, durable fork. Get an 04 w/ better tire clearance. Should be able to grab on @ ~ $200-225 around the net.

Otherwise I'd go w/ that new FOX 36VAN.

I may actually sell my Z150 come early fall if I can score a 36RC2 ( spending tooo much money on fishing these days)

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
good job with keeping the bullit. I'd look at a z150. really nice 6 inch fork. the 66 would also be a good option. you could drop it to 6" if you're worried about height. It'd have the ride height of alot of other 7" forks. I'd love to have a 66 on my bullit if i wasn't using it for 20' drops and downhill racing. I'm guessing that the SC would be able to take it, but i just don't want to test it... :dead:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Can a bullit handle big ruts like the ones on the "monkey grips" trail at Whistler? I am looking for a small 7" bullit frame and plan on putting a super-t in it. If I got an '02 or '03 instead of an '04 or '05, would it be much worse? Is a frame that is 3 or 4 years old, fatigued and should not be built up for aggresive riding?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Is a frame that is 3 or 4 years old, fatigued and should not be built up for aggresive riding? Because I am looking for a bullit that has 7 inches. Even if it was setup for xc, would it get old?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
mtnbrider said:
Is a frame that is 3 or 4 years old, fatigued and should not be built up for aggresive riding? Because I am looking for a bullit that has 7 inches. Even if it was setup for xc, would it get old?
i got it new and i didn't really do anything stupid stupid with it yet, so i think its still good. the good thing about alu is that it would deform plasticly way before failure. the only thing i would check is the welds, if you could, try and get it x-rayed. but i wouldn't worry. just check your welds on the bike frequently if you are worried, another good reason to keep your bike clean. ;)

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
mtnbrider said:
I have an '02 bullit and it's handled some huge drops, and some crazy DH. And i'm rough on bikes, i break a new part every week... the frame has been fine. You won't need to worry

Do I need any special kit to adjust the head angle on the Bullit frame or do I just put the shock mount on the bolt that is further back? It seems like it will just flop around if I do that though. Any links to how tos? Or do I just bring it to the LBS and have them show me in 2 seconds?

Ok, so I see three sets of bolts. One large bolt on the shock connecting to the black unit, then two set on the unit connecting to the shuttle. DO I remove the bolts on the shuttle unit and slide it back? Once I slide it bakc do I only connect the one bolt? I guess I will just take it apart and see what works. i ussually have better luck when I take somethign apart and figure out how it works.

Thanks for the help guys!!