Quantcast

The Bulllit Thread!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO

I never minded the 24" rear, but the 26" was faster on the rough stuff at Whistler by a large margin. I did like the geometry with the 24", but it wasn't too much different because I was either running a 2.7" High Roller or a 3.0 Gazz (I think that was on the Bullit, but I can't quite remember, coulda been the Sputnik). It was easier to manual (not that I can actually do that), and easy to drop and correct mistakes. But for DH, a bit lacking (more bucking).

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Too bad I don't have it anymore. Upgraded to a VP-Free, broke myself on it the first day I had it at Whistler that I vowed to quit that level of DH/jumping. Now I have a 6" & 6" bike that I'm building up. Kinda depressing, but that's the way it goes. I do miss how my Bullit fit me so well, and how it and I were one when riding. Probably more to be said for that than a superior suspension design, though I could ride faster through the rough on the Free (couldn't jump as well though).

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
bullits are great bikes but if santa cruz brought them back i would buy the frame instantly. to bad they wont.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
What? No one else has any sweet Bullits?
I thought SC was bringing out the Bullit again? A local shop owner had previously bragged to me that he had 4 preorders for them, so surely it's coming?

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
Heres mine
02 bullit
06 66rc2x
8.75" 5th element w/ ti spring
atomlab dhr rims
mrp guide
goldtooth 38t basher
saint cranks

nathan

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I've posted this before, but i love this bike. '04 bullit with pushed Fox RC from an '02 bullit.

about 6" of travel, 13.8 BB with 6" z.1, HA around 67.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
works nice to give it 7.1" of travel. i made a custom shuttle for it so the rear tire won't rub. might switch to a 8.5" roco to lower the bb a little.
nathan

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I've posted this before, but i love this bike. '04 bullit with pushed Fox RC from an '02 bullit.

We had almost the exact same set up. I just bought a new bike to try something different. Fun. But, I'm already thinking maybe I could have left well enough alone. Miss the feel of the bike set up like that. Mini DH'er

I've learned from others here though. And , the old frame is on my garage wall till I'm damn good and sure about the new one..

Attachments

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO

[/QUOTE
The rear tire doesn't rub on that? It sure looks like it would come quite close...
I need to get my bike built up soon so I can enjoy a linkage bike again, y'all are making me miss my Bullit. I hope what's-his-name in Montana is enjoying it!

markcm

Chimp
Oct 9, 2007
Galbraith
This pic is from right after I put it together, I've changed a few parts since then but it's mostly the same. I had a 8.75 3 way on there to start with and didn't really know the difference until I put an 8.5 on to try it, it's quite a bit different feeling; I'm working on finding the hardware to put the OE 8.5" 5th back on now (let me know if you happen to have a mount kit for the 5th.)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I built up my first Bullit in 2001, and everyone thought I was an idiot for trying to build up a 5.5 - 6" travel bike that was light enough to ride every day and strong enough to do some occassional DH sessions on. Fast forward 5 years, and suddenly everyone was building them. I certainly don't claim to be a visionary, but I've definitely got to give myself a little shout out for one of the few times in my life I was actually ahead of the curve! :)

Well, I'd been riding and beating the hell out of that '01 Bullit for a solid 7 years, and it was finally starting to show signs of death. The shifting was going south, the suspension was not feeling that great, and the paint had seen better days. After searching for weeks to find a cool new linkage bike to replace it, I had this epiphany moment and decided that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. With that in mind, I scavenged some old parts of other bikes, ordered a new frame, fork, and other accessories, and built a new Bullit! Here are the pics to back it all up:

Bullit 1.0 (Summer, 2001):

Bullit 2.0 (Fall, 2007):

Here are some highlights of the new build:
*Medium Bullit Frame in Gang Green with Fox DHX 5.0 Air (new)
*Rock Shox Totem 1.5 (7" travel) (new)
*FSA Orbit Xtreme Headset (new)
*Easton CNT Carbon Monkey Lite DH bars (probably going to switch to something lower-rise) (new)
*Old School XT Cranks that had been used sparingly and collecting dust in a drawer in my shop
*Mavic CrossMax XL Wheels that were 3 or 4 years old but only had six or seven rides on them
*Avid Juicy 7's (new)
*SRAM 9.0 drivetrain (used)
*Gravity Lite Seatpost (new)
*WTB Saddle (used)
*Syncros 1.5 Stem (new)
*E13 DRS (Thanks to Jonas for getting the new parts out to me so quickly)

All told, it weighs in at 32 pounds, and it should be great for everything just short of XC racing on one end of the spectrum and DH racing at the other.

Thanks for letting me show it off!

--JP

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

OG- Looks like you and I have similar taste in setups . . . I only wish I could do mine justice like you do. Sick whip on that jump!

--JP

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OG- Looks like you and I have similar taste in setups . . . I only wish I could do mine justice like you do. Sick whip on that jump!

--JP
Haha, yeah I meant to say you have excellent taste in specs!

Sandwich, was not me. It's a fairly common build from SCB parts kits, and I think there were a lot of Kawa Green bullits in the first few runs.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
My BULLIT with 2005 66RC & 8.75" FOX -RC.

Also built a Morewood NdizaST.Don't know which one i will keep.Probably the Bullit !