Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If you tell me how to take two bikes/person, tools, spares and all protective gear and clothing on a train, I am all ears.
You’re trolling right? Just in case you’re not, you’ll be shocked to hear there are these things called suitcases, and these other things called baggage cars. Did you know, people travel on trains with bikes all the time? Radical I know. Some people even do this as the basis of their holidays. Amazing!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I wish trains were awesome here. Auto trains that you put your car on would be pretty sweet. But alas at twice the cost of a flight and pricier than fuel to drive and 28hr travel time to travel my 1000 miles. To be dropped in a homeless camp 40 minutes from where I need to sleep at. It’s not even a sleeper car just a dumb seat. Meanwhile my truck has seat massagers and I can shit in any bush I want. Do I even really have a choice?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How does this car exist? An ultra low mile GT3 I kinda get, turbo, maybe, but a C4? WTF that was never a “rare” Porsche, it was a commuter car for anesthesiologists and penny stock scammers, and came about long, long before people ever thought anything Porsche was a giant brick of gold. Why wasn’t that car driven? At least a little bit, I do more miles on my road bike than that thing has, and I’m a husky dude who doesn’t do much road biking.

I shoulda bought a cheap 993 when I had the chance. Instead I bought a house because I’m dumb.
There seem to be a bunch of these popping up, all on BaT of course. I guess if you buy 12 cars you can't put a ton of miles on all of them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You’re trolling right? Just in case you’re not, you’ll be shocked to hear there are these things called suitcases, and these other things called baggage cars. Did you know, people travel on trains with bikes all the time? Radical I know. Some people even do this as the basis of their holidays. Amazing!
I travelled long distance with ONE freeride bike and riding gear on trains for a while. When I was younger, I took the DH bike on a tram/suburban train to get to a "local" spot regularly. But yeah, trains and suitcases are really new to me, thank you for those amazing recommendations. :banghead:
That is why I seriously want to know how you envision travelling with a DH bike, a trail bike and all the stuff for a 1 week bike park trip using trains? The next problem will be to find a rental EV that is big enough to transport all this or a car rental company that rents you a bike rack. I don't know how it is NZ, but in Europe the good riding spots and bike parks are rarely close to a train station either.

Baggage cars? Enough space in trains to bring not one but two bikes? :sarcastic: You haven't been travelling by train in Europe lately, have you? :rofl:

I travelled long distance with ONE freeride bike and riding gear on trains for a while. When I was younger, I took the DH bike on a tram/suburban train to get to a "local" spot regularly. But yeah, trains and suitcases are really new to me, thank you for those amazing recommendations. :banghead:
That is why I seriously want to know how you envision travelling with a DH bike, a trail bike and all the stuff for a 1 week bike park trip using trains? The next problem will be to find a rental EV that is big enough to transport all this or a car rental company that rents you a bike rack. I don't know how it is NZ, but in Europe the good riding spots and bike parks are rarely close to a train station either.

Baggage cars? Enough space in trains to bring not one but two bikes? :sarcastic: You haven't been travelling by train in Europe lately, have you? :rofl:
Way the fuck back then, one could ride in the baggage car with one's bike and gear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I looked at getting the V60, but seemed like too much for too little when everything was said and done.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Watching the Turbo S walk away from the Superduke is telling. My R1 was 0-60 in 2.7 and was insane. That Turbo S is next level.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
this is my old next door neighbor's car. I've worked on this thing with him over the years. It's a BLAST to drive, and a really nicely done resto.

My uncle had one of those... wish I'd had a chance to drive it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was never a fan of the Scirocco, but wouldn't have turned down a free Corrado VR6 Storm when they were newly released.

edit: looking at them now I wouldn't want the freebie :D