Quantcast

The components you choose every time...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I was just wondering what do you guys chose time after time to go on your builds? There are dozens of choices available for most parts, so why (if you do) do some of you guys always go back to those same old parts?

I guess this is an effort in building up a list of reliable, good functioning parts. Hopefully a few lesser known (by myself at least) brands and parts might get mentioned a few times and we'll all learn something.

So if you always pick up a set of shimano cranks and a thomson stem, or swear by hope hubs for example then write it up with a short reason why.

If you think this is pointless then just give it a swerve

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
For me ODI ruffian Lock-ons are my only real constant. I like Goldtec hubs and Shimano cranks but wouldnt see the need to spec them on everything.

Cheers for the input so far

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
X9 shifter/rearD, XT/ultegra cassette, ODI rouges, Mavic 721,Thompson seat post. Just works.

If I had the money ****mano cranks.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
On all my bikes:
XO or X9 shifter/deraileure, Hadley hubs, Thomson seatpost

For DH I have had several Mavic 729's and will continue using them, and I have run Formula The ones for 2 years and will continue too as well As the Cane Creek Double Barrel.
Its worth mentioning that The Gamut P-30 is likely the best chainguide on the market: easy to set up, light, strong and super reliable. I love my E-13 Lg-1 as well, but the Gamut is just easier and simpler.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I really dislike rogues so to have 2 out of the 4 people who have replied say they like them is kind of weird. They just feel too fat to me, much prefer Ruffians even better when they're worn thinner.

Keep them coming

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
X9 rd & shifters:
reliable, easy to set up, not hugely expensive

Saint cranks:
dead easy to install, bulletproof

Mission control:
Not actually a product, but part of a number of products (got it in the Lyrik on the HT, the Totem on the FR bike and the Boxxer on the DH bike). Super tuneable (each click on each dial makes a noticeable difference in how the bike feels), reliable, feels mint on the trail. Does not have the dive of Motion Control, the over-gooshiness of Marzocchi's stuff (although you could tune it that way if you really wanted to), is not prone to breaking every third ride like my old Manitou SPV.

Last edited:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Shimano Brakes, X9 Shifting, Mavic Rims, Rockshox Fork.

Other than that, I like to try new stuff.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Marzocchi front suspension-low maintenance and always plush
Michelin tires-I just like the way they ride and are predictable for my riding style
WTB Devo seats-comfy and they last forever
Shimano 105 rear derr.-cheap and simple

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
E13 chainguides, they just work plain and simple
Xt cranks if they will fit there light, stiff and strong
Sram xo/x9 for shifting duties it never lets me down
Sram chains wouldn't use anything else
Mavic 721 rims, light and strong and give a good tire profile
Odi Ruffians nice slim and always plenty of grip
Hope hubs best value for money not as good performance as the hubs twice the price but better than anything else at the same price point

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Looking through my stuff I see a lot of Dimension 20mm hubs. They're sold by Quality for like $35 shop cost, have never caused a problem in nearly a decade, and only weigh 15g more than American Classic.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'd have thought more people would have more specific pedals, tire and saddle choices. Contact points are just as important as geo some of the time.

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
X.9 shifter, rear derailleur and E.13 guides are probably the only constant between all my builds.
:thumb:
Funds are forcing me to use a set of X.7 shifter/derailleurs on my current build but those will get switched out once I have more $$$$. I also like to reach for Michelin tires. The best saddle I have ever ridden is actually the Sette Amp. I'm liking Sette components more and more. Any one have an opinion on Sette?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
No opinion on the sette but think I'll be picking up a charge spoon saddle to use on my road bike whilst at uni and then switch onto my mtn bike when i fancy a ride out in the hills. I'm too cheap to buy 2 saddles...

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I really dislike rogues so to have 2 out of the 4 people who have replied say they like them is kind of weird. They just feel too fat to me, much prefer Ruffians even better when they're worn thinner.

Keep them coming
I have reeeeaaallllllyyyy long hands and need a thicker grip. when I use the ruffians my finger tips dig into my palm.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Keep them coming
I wear xxl and xxxl gloves so Im a pretty big guy. My troy lees have to stretch before they fit good and my fox are 3xl (or 4xl). So yeah I love rogue grips!:thumb:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
ODI ruffian, toss up between the ones with the half waffle grip and the plain ruffians.
Shimano brakes (Saint for DH, XT everything else)
Shimano DX M647 pedals
Shimano cranks
Mavic rims (823 and 721)
DT swiss spokes
WTB saddles

CoyoteRun

Chimp
May 29, 2008
SF, CA
Shimano DX pedals, Shifters & derailleur, Cranks w/FAS middle ring, SRAM Chain, Hope Brakes, Easton Monkey bar, ODI Grips,

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Kona Wah Wah or Mg-1 pedals

Hope Pro II 20mm front hubs

Shimano cranksets (Saint, SLX, Hone)

Shimano XT shifters, 8 speed

Sunline Big S grips (used to like Ruffians, but long resort ride days on grips with so little padding KILLED my carpals)

SDG Grand Prix saddle (same saddle for 9 years and carried over 3 dh bikes, works well for me)

14 gauge DT Swiss Champion spokes, silver

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
deity bars, grips and pedals.
e13 lg1 guides
xtr shifter, ultegra rear derailleur (or xtr for a trail bike)
thomson post
hope brakes
xt or 9spd da casette, xt chain
sdg ti-fly saddle

i experiment w/ rims and tires more than ni should. but the above stuff has basically all been on the last 4 dh bikes, 3 xc bikes i have owned.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
For me always Formula Brakes has & will be imo the best brakes out there,power,weight and modulation are excellent.No need for other brakes

Swisstop pads are awesome,i have riddin 2 seasons with them with out changing too new pads.Swisstop pads are now pretty standard for me over the other pads.

Sram XO always been very positive,very grisp feel and a better product then i head with a Shimano drive train in the past.

KMC chains best of the best imo,i hated my old Sram & Shimano chains.Some times i was pissed with those chains of their's.KMC is much easier too work with and lighter too.

Rock Shox Boxxer wc since last year first time on a Rock Shox DH fork and i was blown away,i'd stick too the boxxer for more years too come.Fantastic product that Rock Shox made:thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
shimano all everything. They make the best most foolproof stuff and not a lot of cheap plastic. Love my saint cranks, RD, and brakes, and my xtr shifter. Simple, last forever kind of stuff.

My older 5.10 shoes can't be killed

Mavic rims where possible...simply the best.

Selle italia saddles.

ODI grips (in my case, intense haffle waffle).

I'd say maxxis tires but good stuff is coming out from other brands finally.