Quantcast

The Daily Show: CNBC gives financial advice

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The amazing thing is that had we bailed out the homeowners, specifically and exclusively, in August, we could have avoided this whole mess at a fraction of the current cost and had a relatively stable correction.

But I can see how Wall Street would be up in arms...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The amazing thing is that had we bailed out the homeowners, specifically and exclusively, in August, we could have avoided this whole mess at a fraction of the current cost and had a relatively stable correction.

But I can see how Wall Street would be up in arms...
i'm not so sure that that would have been possible. the problem is deeper than just subprime. it's Alt-A. it's commercial real estate. its the tremendous amount of leverage in companies across the board. everything was predicated on asset prices increasing indefinitely. this simply wasn't a safe assumption.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'm not so sure that that would have been possible. the problem is deeper than just subprime. it's Alt-A. it's commercial real estate. its the tremendous amount of leverage in companies across the board. everything was predicated on asset prices increasing indefinitely. this simply wasn't a safe assumption.
IT's more than that. It's CDS. People taking out massive contracts ($50 Trillion in the US alone) banking on companies and loans defaulting. What is starting to become the next push that is keeping companies from being able to get out by re-structuring debt are negative basis trades. You buy a small piece of company debt at cents on the dollar, then take out a large CDS contract on default by the company.
In holding the debt, you can prevent the company from being able to re-negotiate their debt, forcing a default and bankruptcy. IT's a rigged game...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
IT's more than that. It's CDS. People taking out massive contracts ($50 Trillion in the US alone) banking on companies and loans defaulting. What is starting to become the next push that is keeping companies from being able to get out by re-structuring debt are negative basis trades. You buy a small piece of company debt at cents on the dollar, then take out a large CDS contract on default by the company.
In holding the debt, you can prevent the company from being able to re-negotiate their debt, forcing a default and bankruptcy. IT's a rigged game...
Take out of it what you will, not pushing anything on anyone. I watched the whole thing and formed an opinion based on multiple sides and arguments.

Non the less, it is very impressive and has a lot of good info on the banking system and how money is created out of thin air.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm in the industry, while somewhat peripheral, I am still well within. Some of the stuff I've seen is ridiculuous.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no! no! no! no! no!

don't forget: there's only one endorsed public official - and his name is ron paul. also, they claim that scarcity = profit. been to a walmart lately?

it started off ok, then just shat itself. it took unrelated truths & tried to assemble them into free-mason pr0n

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you mean Brian was wrong about real estate prices? :busted:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Take out of it what you will, not pushing anything on anyone. I watched the whole thing and formed an opinion based on multiple sides and arguments.

Non the less, it is very impressive and has a lot of good info on the banking system and how money is created out of thin air.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

As for the daily show episode, amazing CNBC got torn a new asshole.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

As for the daily show episode, amazing CNBC got torn a new asshole.
And your rebuttal? Is the best you can do an incredibly old motivational poster?:plthumbsdown:

I didn't say that I believed it all but I did do quite a bit of research on banking and the creation of money and there are some, some being the key word, valid points.

Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean that it is all wrong my friend.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Anyone read the book the Black Swan? It was a bit of an eye opener on our inability to predict the future. As a nation we tend to take the current trend, like increasing housing prices, and forecast that it will continue forever and thus be a safe investment. He talks a lot about oil prices in the book and how poor the forecasts for the future were. It has hit the fan and we'll continue to slide, and eventually recover. I'm banking on recovery sometime in the next two years and have increased all of my investments.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Another good one on bubbles is 'Devil Take the Hindmost'. I learned tons from this which thankfully I was able to put into the last few years.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone read the book the Black Swan? It was a bit of an eye opener on our inability to predict the future. As a nation we tend to take the current trend, like increasing housing prices, and forecast that it will continue forever and thus be a safe investment. He talks a lot about oil prices in the book and how poor the forecasts for the future were. It has hit the fan and we'll continue to slide, and eventually recover. I'm banking on recovery sometime in the next two years and have increased all of my investments.
I read The Black Swan. There's a lot of good stuff in it; it jives with my view of the world, anyhow.

But I tend to find that there's a bit of truth in forecasting based on the past on a microcosmic level, and you can't take his extend his viewpoint on unpredictability past its own usefulness. For example, I work in security. I can't say, "Well, we've used this route 5 times and experienced an attack 3 of those times. But why should I avoid that route, since the past has no bearing on the future?"

We need to be mindful of the possibility of 'Black Swan' events, surely, and plan accordingly, but also let experience (individual and collective) frame our viewpoints. (Also, of course, being aware of the limitations of our own experience...that's part of awareness of/planning for unpredictability...)

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Forecast. shiff with a 4 year detail
it's almost hard to stomach art laffer... ben should have stayed in the movies... and the other commentators are basically void of any intuition or foresight.

His predictions are extremely accurate

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Cramer answers back in a pretty good article. I don't personally like the guy's entertainment factor of screaming at me on a finaicial show, but he brings up some very good points.

Lengthy article but insightful.

Cramer Takes on the White House, Frank Rich and Jon Stewart

Take Frank Rich and Jon Stewart. Both seize on the urban legend that I recommended Bear Stearns the week before it collapsed, even though I was saying that I thought it could be worthless as soon as the following week. I did tell an emailer that his deposit in his account at Bear Stearns was safe, but through a clever sound bite, Stewart, and subsequently Rich -- neither of whom have bothered to listen to the context of the pulled quote -- pass off the notion of account safety as an out-and-out buy recommendation. The absurdity astounds me. If you called Mad Money and asked me about Citigroup, I would tell you that the common stock might be worthless, but I would never tell you to pull your money out of the bank because I was worried about its solvency. Your money is safe in Citi as I said it was in Bear.
Is Stewart the other side's Rush?

:busted:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Cramer answers back in a pretty good article. I don't personally like the guy's entertainment factor of screaming at me on a finaicial show, but he brings up some very good points.
First off, Cramer didn't make that assertion about Bear nearly as clear as he is saying he did. I do admit that you can interpret it that way after the fact, but that's only if you're being extremely charitable to Cramer. There's also the question of why the stock chart popped up if he was talking about brokerage accounts.

Cramer also doesn't deal with other criticisms that the Daily Show piece made, because he has zero defense for them.

Now, it's not that I think that a particularly good job is being done by the Obama administration right now. It's just that Cramer really doesn't have any credibility to diagnose the problem. I wouldn't trust him with a piggy bank that had a peso in it, myself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are people actually taking the Daily Show seriously? Not to take anything away from what John Stewart does, it is hilarious. It just goes to show what a joke the rest of the media has become when the DS is worthy of arguing about.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Cramer also doesn't deal with other criticisms that the Daily Show piece made, because he has zero defense for them.
Geez, you go giving Stewart credibility by having people answer criticism from the Daily Show and then you're going to have to give Rush the same credibility and expect Obama to debate him. Hoo boy.

I agree, I wouldn't necessarily rely on Cramer for sound finiacial advice, no more than I would Keith Oblerman or Sean Hannity for credible news.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Geez, you go giving Stewart credibility by having people answer criticism from the Daily Show and then you're going to have to give Rush the same credibility and expect Obama to debate him. Hoo boy.
Yeah, that's a prime example of a non-sequitur. Really, look it up. It's latin for "does not follow".

Of course, I remember all the times Bush and Cheney went on the Daily Show to debate John Stewart...that happened multiple times, right?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are people actually taking the Daily Show seriously? Not to take anything away from what John Stewart does, it is hilarious. It just goes to show what a joke the rest of the media has become when the DS is worthy of arguing about.
What's funny is Fox takes it seriously enough to pull stuff out of context along with other "news" sources.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First off, Cramer didn't make that assertion about Bear nearly as clear as he is saying he did. I do admit that you can interpret it that way after the fact, but that's only if you're being extremely charitable to Cramer. There's also the question of why the stock chart popped up if he was talking about brokerage accounts.

Now, it's not that I think that a particularly good job is being done by the Obama administration right now. It's just that Cramer really doesn't have any credibility to diagnose the problem. I wouldn't trust him with a piggy bank that had a peso in it, myself.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/23575614

Dear Jim: Should I be worried about Bear Stearns in terms of liquidity and get my money out of there? --Peter

Cramer says: “No! No! No! Bear Stearns is not in trouble. If anything, they’re more likely to be taken over. Don’t move your money from Bear.”

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I never thought hate, nationalism, jingoism, nativism, and the denial of rights could sound so appealing.
so who're you pissed at again? and as he was tyrading, i was thinking he was describing sweden or some other euro country with what i believe are very similar - if not identical - laws.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Every single answer he gave about a company on that link was 100% bad advice as of now.

Heckuva job, Jimmy!
"If I would have listened to them, I would have a million dollars today. Provided I started with 100 million dollars." :rofl:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
so who're you pissed at again? and as he was tyrading, i was thinking he was describing sweden or some other euro country with what i believe are very similar - if not identical - laws.
Wasn't Sweden known for its liberal immigration policies? The current moderate party controlled government is trying to change that I think.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yeah, that's a prime example of a non-sequitur. Really, look it up. It's latin for "does not follow".

Of course, I remember all the times Bush and Cheney went on the Daily Show to debate John Stewart...that happened multiple times, right?
Ummm, no it's not a non-sequitur and thanks for the offer to expand my vocabulary by looking it up, but I'm familiar.

The point was, they are both entertainers, neither should have anyone seriously defending, debating, promoting or justifying any position of national policy or concern with them. Goes the same for The View, Regis, Letterman, Leno or other entertainment venue. Would you expect realistic, informative and accurate budget policy reporting from ET?

Sadly, though, most everyone gets their view of the news from entertainment sources, be it Stewart, CNN, Fox or other outlets.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ummm, no it's not a non-sequitur and thanks for the offer to expand my vocabulary by looking it up, but I'm familiar.

The point was, they are both entertainers, neither should have anyone seriously defending, debating, promoting or justifying any position of national policy or concern with them. Goes the same for The View, Regis, Letterman, Leno or other entertainment venue. Would you expect realistic, informative and accurate budget policy reporting from ET?

Sadly, though, most everyone gets their view of the news from entertainment sources, be it Stewart, CNN, Fox or other outlets.
You're less familiar with it than you think.

You made that claim that since Stewart, an entertainer, was criticizing Cramer, another entertainer, therefore Obama, the President of the United States, should debate Rush Limbaugh, an entertainer.

I'm not going to even start to point out how you're really missing the big picture here, in that entertainment outlets such as the Daily Show are frequently better sources of news and current events than the actual news media are...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm not going to even start to point out how you're really missing the big picture here, in that entertainment outlets such as the Daily Show are frequently better sources of news and current events than the actual news media are...
and just where, pray, do entertainment outlets get their news?

you know the answer.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Of course you don't, but the point is they are both entertainers.
You can't be serious.

Folks try to be dismissive of social commentators, but you're doing yourself a disservice to fool yourself into thinking the above is true. Both are tremendously influential. They are no more "just entertainers" than Fox or Al Jazeera are "just news."

Sadly, though, most everyone gets their view...
The seeds of understanding, those are.

If the your quoted comment is true, how can these guys also be "just entertainers?"