Quantcast

The DK has arrived

Aug 2, 2004
Built her up last night, and added the SDG Freestyle seat, Shadow Conspiracy Interloc Chain, and Shadow Conspiracy Mean Pegs... and NO FRONT SUSPENSION!

What do you think?
-I

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Have fun with it... in regards to your brake question, Diacompe 990"s or Diatech Fiesta's work much better especially with Kool Stop brake pads...

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
I would recommend the Odyssey Evolver with some nice pads. They work better some MTB brakes.

Aug 2, 2004
HaHa... motice the decal is barely visible...

Not really into the orange, but as I upgrade components I'm going to make them army green... should look hot.

Shadow Conspiracy is coming out with a whole series of parts in that color... some are already out.

-I

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i am kicking around the idea of picking up a GL as well. i have a couple of Qs for you:

is that an American BB?

is that a normal headset (not integrated)?

(i think both answers are yess from looking at the pick, but wanna be 110% sure before i pull the trigger)

how does the back brake work?

any chance of being able to fit a set of 2.4 holyrollers on there?

Aug 2, 2004
chuffer said:
is that an American BB?
YES

chuffer said:
is that a normal headset (not integrated)?
YES

chuffer said:
I only took her out for a short spin... have not tried anything too crazy with it, but seems ok right now... for $259, if you don't like the brakes, buy new ones, you know?

chuffer said:
any chance of being able to fit a set of 2.4 holyrollers on there?
I was looking at that yesterday. Let you know tonight what size is on there now.... it's already pretty tight, although I have the wheel SLAMMED against the back of the dropouts.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
done. i just pulled the trigger on an orange one. should be here by the start of next week

i dont think 2.4 holyrollers will fit. i think the tires that the bike comes with are 1.95 k.rads and looking at the pics above there doesn't seem to be much extra room. that obviously wasnt a deal breaking issue. :shrug:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
chuffer said:
yeah, so, i am just gonna hafta go ahead and answer my own question.

the brakes on the DK GL = teh suck.

i'll have to snag the digicam from work and grab some pics. my immediate changes to the bike were a little different: real seatpost, profiles, king headset and some zuzus.

was at my DJs yesterday with GL crashing my faucking brains out -the dynamic on a cruiser is a little, uh, different.

Aug 2, 2004
morethanjake543 said:
I've definently noticed. . . BMXers (or maybe just people who deal more with dirt jumps) really know how to bail.

I guess it's something of an acquired talent.

LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean! I busted my a$$ ON the bike... how do they jump off so fast!?!

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
They get it from practice, I bet.

I'd rather not practice bailing on my MTB, though. It's too expensive to be tossed mid-flight often enough to actually be good at it.

Maybe if I had a cheaper beater DJ rig, or a real BMX.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
drt_jumper said:
You may want to upgrade the bars asap due to the fact that they bend very easily, I am speaking from first hand experience.:)
haha. i folded those fauckers in half!! i hope the frame and fork are burlier than those bars. :eek:

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
IvanTheTerrible said:
LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean! I busted my a$$ ON the bike... how do they jump off so fast!?!

You'll get the hang of it.
Keep an eye on the hubs on those bikes. Not that they are bad, but they do have a tendency to get loose. Next stop should be a smaller chainring! 24" wheel bikes look badass with microdrive!

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
jo i gots dah same bike... just heavily modified.. i gotta take pics its pimp. anyway... the max tires i can really fit is 24x2.125... you may be able to make more room in the rear but the front fork cant take anything larger for sure. My suggestion is to ride the bike and ride till you break a part then replace it. I got a good half a season out of my bars untill I twisted the shiznazz outta them. Enjoy riding it... its a great bike for the price!!!

My current performance part specs are..
Odyssey lighter jpegs
Odyssey 41 thermal crank
FSA Orbit MX HS
Cyllinsky pedals (sp)
Odyssey Utility light sprocket
White wall 24x2.1 cruiser tires

peace

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i recently saw a photo of some cat in england boosting the bujeezus out of gen lee 24. it was in a thread with a bunch of mtb photos.

i cant remember where it was...here, mtbr or nsmb...? anyone know what photo i am rambling about? i mussa been drunktified or something.