Quantcast

the "do it all bike"

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I have a SC Bullit that I have built from trail to light DH rig. As mentioned the build effects the ride. I find with my Bullit if I run a single crown fork and kevlar tires and can trail the bike all day long but I have to be really carefull in the rocks / technical sections. Add a DC fork and a set of wire bead DH tires and I can attack the DH but my overall trail pace / climbing is way down. I will make my Bullit a dedicated trail bike and be building a FR / light DH ride either a SC Nomad or VP Free. The Free is about 2lb. heavier than a Nomad when both are equiped w/ coils - Decisions, descisions...

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Bike/Frame choices:
SC VP-Free
Intense Uzzi VPX
Kona Coil-Air
Scott Ransom

Parts:
Manitou Nixon or Fox 66.
Double crank (i.e: Hone or RF)
Gravity Dropper seatpost would be great if it wasn't so heavy

Feb 13, 2006
SBDownhillRacer said:
downhill first, then jumping and droping second. Pedaling is also important.
jeez I would think someone who calls him/herself "SBDownhillRacer" would know the answer.

guess you're not much of a DH rider or racer, huh?

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
SBDownhillRacer said:
downhill first, then jumping and droping second. Pedaling is also important.
This would fit your description -
Add on a front der. and granny, & it's trail ready...

Last summer after a FUN day at N*

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SBDownhillRacer said:
In your monkey's opinions what is the bike that can do it all? Go smooth for DH, burly enough for fr, pretty good for climbing things like that.
SC Nomad with a 888RC on the front.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I went in search of this bike for a long time.
Did not like what I came to. Realized that my definition of DH/FR is just too far away from AM/XC and how I wanted each bike to perform. XC/AM I want something low, fast light-weight, very stiff, shorter chainstays and most importantly, 68-69 head angle and ~71-73 seat angle. This rig prolly does not need much more than 5 inches of travel...for me:)
On DH, I want something that is really gonna take the hits and soak them right up! Slightly longer chainstays, still low and fast. Geo @ ~66 HA and 66-70 SA. This baby should have ~6.75-8 inches of travel...for me!
Overall weight I like to keep the lighter one around 33lbs and the heavy one around 43lbs.

Last year the new 06 sx trail II with some mods was my favorite until I realized I needed more than just one bike to do the things I like to do :)

This year, the intense 6.66 is my new 07 fav, prolly then new IH 6 point will be pretty sick too!
With all that said, I would decide what you want to do, what geo specs would be most comfortable and fun for this then narrow your search a little. All bikes mentioned here would fit into your category right now.

Booner

Oh, I ride an intense Uzzi vpx and a cove hustler!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Oh this is my favorite do-it-all bike (though it might not fit with many other people I weigh 135-140)

Jamis Dakar, this bike is my all time favorite, it can climb, jump, and descend. I love it...........

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
SBDownhillRacer said:
is a 40 possible on an sx?
Nothing over 170mm is recomended. I know a couple of guys that have put DC Durados on theirs without any issues.

Get an SX and put a 66 RC2x on, and you are done.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Not if you want it to be covered under warranty...it says no forks with more than 6" travel....not sure if it excluded dc's or not. Other than warranty I think it would be sweet on an sx...but if you need that much travel up front, you are gonna be wishing for more in the back too on an sx.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
actually the warrent y on new 06 sx trails have a warning sticker that says 175mm DC or SC fork or less. so a 170mm 888 or a 170mm super t would be fine, Im not sure if you have a 40 on their at the 7 inch mode and ride would still be under warrenty, it probable isn't. Im getting a 66RC2X 170mm and it is goign to be a sick set up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SXtrailrider said:
actually the warrent y on new 06 sx trails have a warning sticker that says 175mm DC or SC fork or less. so a 170mm 888 or a 170mm super t would be fine, Im not sure if you have a 40 on their at the 7 inch mode and ride would still be under warrenty, it probable isn't. Im getting a 66RC2X 170mm and it is goign to be a sick set up.
That sounds like a prime setup.

A DC on an SX Trail would be ghey IMO.

Nov 9, 2005
yea i'm probalby going to go with a vp-free with a dh build but e13 drs so it climbs easier. i'm hoping the weight would be 34-35 pounds.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
SBDownhillRacer said:
yea i'm probalby going to go with a vp-free with a dh build but e13 drs so it climbs easier. i'm hoping the weight would be 34-35 pounds.
Keep hoping, cause that aint happening. No way...

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
my friend has a VP-Free with a 888 (lowrisers) besides that its built light, I've ridden it many times its climbs very well yes but I really dont like how it feels on rocky sections, high bottom bracket doesnt make the best cornering in the world and i could ask for it to be more flickable....just my 2 cents...but im picky

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mike67 said:
This would fit your description -
Add on a front der. and granny, & it's trail ready...

Last summer after a FUN day at N*
Hey, is that my old shock?

'nother vote for the Turner RFX if you're looking for something that's more built to take a beating than many of the new long-travel trailbikes. It's a simple, elegant, sort of old-school ride. And with some of the newer, lighter fork and shock options, you could pare it down pretty light.

Not to say an Enduro, Nomad, or 6.6 wouldn't kick ass...but I think of them as more technical all-day-epic-ride trailbikes. The RFX can sure do that, if you can pull the weight, but it's most at home getting its ass kicked.

MD

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bicyclist said:
It'll be more like 39, at least that's my guess.
Not if you weight it on "TheMontashu's" scale. I estimate it would only weigh 33lbs on his scale.

I got to demo a 7" BIONICON Edison bike in Durango a few weeks ago. The technology isn't completely dialed for hucker stlye or pro dh level racing yet, but definately worth looking into for a do everything trail/"freeride" bike.

Hopefully Fox gets access to the patents to make a handlebar mounted travel adjust front fork. That's a big travel bicycle revolution waiting to happen.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I would say the SC Nomad, Intense 6.6, or Scott Ransom. All are a little more "all mountain" type rides and you wouldn't want to run DH on them, but with 6 - 7 inches rear travel, 68 degree head angle and in the 35 lb range, meets do it all to me...

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
I have a VP-Free with a DH Build and e-13 DRS w/front derailer like you said and it is 42.5 lbs. It has a 7" 888 fork, FOX DHX Coil, 729 wheels w/DH tires and Diabolus cranks.
I was in the looking for a lighter, more nimble "All-Mtn" ride that can handle drops and after lots and lots of research and mind changing, I decided on an RFX. I just built it up and it has a DHX coil rear and 36 Van fork. It also has an e-13 DRS, X0 components, Atlas cranks, etc., an dit is 35.9 lbs.