Quantcast

The downfall of WRC

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
subaru, toyota, mitsubishi and suzuki all out of WRC...who is left? peugot? citroen? who is going to watch it now? :shocked:

wow this is just as depressing as it is aggravating. :banghead: :huh:

edit: WTF? Prodrive, the group teamed with Subaru in WRC, is now thinking of entering Formula 1. WTF? leaving WRC and entering F1 all because of the 'economic downturn'? how does that make ANY bleeping sense?

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Prodrive has been in rally since it started, and I believe they hold some share in the WRC. The team was mostly funded by Subaru though, so prodrive is just moving on. It was Suby's choice to pull the plug.

F1 has seen major cost cutting measures for 2009 as well, but not even comparable I am sure.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
A little change is good once in a while. Just look at DH racing which looks like its back even better than before with better bikes, tons of good riders and the best coverage in the world with Freecaster and my new hero Rob Warner.

I am sure a little rethinking of the WRC could make it even better too.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
A little change is good once in a while. Just look at DH racing which looks like its back even better than before with better bikes, tons of good riders and the best coverage in the world with Freecaster and my new hero Rob Warner.

"Freecaster to cover WRC" - now that's something I would like to hear :biggrin:

Monkey

so what mega awsome manufacturers of rally cars are entering the WRC to replace Subaru & co.? The DH scene is great today because new companies keep entering, whereas the WRC keep losing makers with no one to fill the void. I mean at the end of the day if we are just watching Citrons, Peugeots and Skodas, where is the fun in that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
edit: WTF? Prodrive, the group teamed with Subaru in WRC, is now thinking of entering Formula 1. WTF? leaving WRC and entering F1 all because of the 'economic downturn'? how does that make ANY bleeping sense?
everything that ive read about them getting into F1 said they arent going to do it. especially since the cars have to be ready for inspection somewhat soon.
Any new team that enters F1 at this point is doomed to fail within 3-4 races.
the new cost cutting feature for '09 still dont make a dent in the extreme cost related to F1...look at Super Aguri

Subaru and Suzuki leaving the WRC only makes sense for the smaller companies. Audi and Porsche are leaving the ALMS LMP series too.

that sux even more than the fact that i can't even watch any wrc, f1,
they do play every F1 race on Speed you know

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I'm sure with every company they are cuttings costs. Unlike American companies who lay off workers, the Japanese gets rid the extras; ie racing. Hell will freeze over before ford, chevy, or dodge pulls out of any form of racing. It may not be much but every penny counts.