Quantcast

the dreaded "I'm thinking about buying a bike, what should I get?"

Someone at work asked me this today. He said he'd like to mainly ride on the road but be able to take it off road. My experience is that "comfort" bikes should never be ridden off road LOL.

I suggested the Giant Rincon or Boulder and maybe the Specialized Hardrock.

other thoughts? Shops in his area carry:
Haro
Raleigh
Giant
K2
Specialized
Kona
Gary Fisher
Mongoose (actually, he came to me first with this - I poo poo'd it)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
How much is a specialized Hardrock?

That'd probably be the ticket for her, but if he really won't be going off road much at all then he should get a bike that is more road and bike path friendly IMO because the bigger wheels will be so much smoother and faster on the pavement.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
LOL!

Tell him I've got a mint 1995 Schwinn Hardtail - 15" - I'd sell it to him for $200.00. Mint LX cantilever brakes, Rock Shox Mag 21 fork - Sugino cranks, deore front derailleur, LX rear deraileur, LX hubs, Mavic rims, 8 speed, gripshift etc. etc. Oh and it is a really cool blue color too. ;) :biggrin:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Mongoose (actually, he came to me first with this - I poo poo'd it)
Hey, Goose is makin a comeback. The Teocali and Canaan are pretty spiffy but pricey. The Otero Comp is a great entry level FS with decent components ($450-$500). Won't take anything over a 3ft drop, but it'll do.... and it's got Disc Brakes.

:lighten: Buy right or Buy twice. :lighten:

Hey, Goose is makin a comeback. The Teocali and Canaan are pretty spiffy but pricey. The Otero Comp is a great entry level FS with decent components ($450-$500). Won't take anything over a 3ft drop, but it'll do.... and it's got Disc Brakes.

:lighten: Buy right or Buy twice. :lighten:
I care about the frame - not the components - and he doesn't need disc brakes.

Mongoose would have to impress the HELL outta me to make me recommend one.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'd go Hardrock as well from his LBS. That way he can start a relationship with them and get a free tuneup, answered questions, etc.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What kind of off-road riding does he want to do and how much?

How about a roadie with cx tires? An old 520 touring bike would be perfect for it. Just tell your friend to use his knees as shocks when the off-road gets a little bumping.

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
the scott voltage 2 or 3 is a very comftorable bike. I have one and it is great on road or offroad , its an 8 speed and is very easy to pedal with

Misled User

Chimp
Jun 14, 2007
My friend has a really nice Specialized hardrock 07 it is very smooth and very good for bike paths and trails in the dirt. Overall a good choice although it is more expensive but it has a lotta upgrades u can do urself.