Quantcast

The epiphany thread

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Post your epiphanies here - I will begin.

1. I dont have to have Campy/Dura Ace or XT/XTR/Eagle whatever parts on my bikes. They dont make me faster, only make my wallet lighter and I break them all the same. I am slow. I have fun. The general public doesn't know any different and those who judge someone based on cycling kit are elitist snobs who can jog on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2) no one is paying you to be fast. so don't worry about it if you're enjoying the ride. or ski. or whatever.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
3) in general, no one cares about what you do/wear/drive/ride. embrace that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Post your epiphanies here - I will begin.

1. I dont have to have Campy/Dura Ace or XT/XTR/Eagle whatever parts on my bikes. They dont make me faster, only make my wallet lighter and I break them all the same. I am slow. I have fun. The general public doesn't know any different and those who judge someone based on cycling kit are elitist snobs who can jog on.
But they make me feel pretty and that's all that matters.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
you do not need to upgrade every year.

but i have always known this.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just realized I was not including my companies 401K contributions in my retirement calculations.

I need to spend more money or find a way to get cheap health insurance so I can retire in 5 years.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Seriously I ride it until I break it, Road Bike : Colnago Master light Lugged Steel frame 2003. still have original Chris King Headset, 600 ex cranks, left side 105 shifter, right side and bar toasted in a crash, Selle Italia seat. now on 3rd Bottom Bracket second set of look pedals many chains chain rings and cogsets . Replaced rear wheel when rim failed (Mavic Cosmic Elete ) on race wheels still have my winter 36 spoke mavic training set.

Mt bike 2012 TREK Fuel EX 5 26" wheels Still has the same Kind Shock seatpost, different saddle gone though many chains and SRAM chainrings and cogsets, one of these days I really should get a new front rim. Never could get the wobble out of it after a high speed crash but with disk brakes who cares?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nobody is going to think less of you if you take up their time using a Torque wrench. And go by feel. Or whatever that shit is. Thats for people who ride wheelies. I have retired. I highly recommend doing it early.

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Seriously I ride it until I break it, Road Bike : Colnago Master light Lugged Steel frame 2003. still have original Chris King Headset, 600 ex cranks, left side 105 shifter, right side and bar toasted in a crash, Selle Italia seat. now on 3rd Bottom Bracket second set of look pedals many chains chain rings and cogsets . Replaced rear wheel when rim failed (Mavic Cosmic Elete ) on race wheels still have my winter 36 spoke mavic training set.

Mt bike 2012 TREK Fuel EX 5 26" wheels Still has the same Kind Shock seatpost, different saddle gone though many chains and SRAM chainrings and cogsets, one of these days I really should get a new front rim. Never could get the wobble out of it after a high speed crash but with disk brakes who cares?
Ya, but that road bike is epic AF. I used to dream of that bike. Still would love a frame just to build for the hell of it.

I on the other have have Eagle, AXS, plastic wheels all that fancy shit. Am I fast, not as fast as I once was. But, holy shit do I love riding my fancy ass shit. I ride with a lot of kids on our trails and I remember the adults with bad ass bikes as a kid and aspired to have those bikes one day. Now I am that guy. I hope that I can make some kid dream of one of my money pits so they will stick with it.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Exactly, can't take it with you, either. There was a quote I heard:

I want my last check to bounce. :rofl:
My ex-father-in-law used to say something very similar: "The last check I write is going to be for my own funeral, and that's going to bounce"

Divorce has granted me many epiphanies. The most powerful of which is that I don't really know anything about anything.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ya, but that road bike is epic AF. I used to dream of that bike. Still would love a frame just to build for the hell of it.
It is a blast to ride. I had a choice of this Steel Frame or Carbon Fiber when I bought the frame which was replacing a custom steel framed Colnago that I rode from 1980 until I snapped the bottom bracket shell lug to the seat tube in a sprint in 2002. (It was too corroded from years of winter riding in the rain to save). I just love the feedback that thin tubing steel gives you in high speed corners.

Colnago Close up.jpg

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A basic, but unwritten rule on the Appalachian Trail is there is no discussion of religion or politics while on trail. Being an election year I will miss the bulk of the campaign as I hike north for five months. Glorious.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
A basic, but unwritten rule on the Appalachian Trail is there is no discussion of religion or politics while on trail. Being an election year I will miss the bulk of the campaign as I hike north for five months. Glorious.
Are you allowed to wear a red cap?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I enjoy building bikes almost as much as I enjoy riding them. While I know this is the costly part of the hobby, I get a kick out of all the new technology that comes out and there's a certain pride and sanity that goes into working with my hands on something that works in the end. Getting to go out and ride is great as well, but MTB has always been this wonderful harmony of tech and physical activity, and I love the heck out of it.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Haven’t seen a MAGA hat but the way the white nationalists identify themselves is with copious amounts of ‘Murican flag emblazoned clothing. Super easy to avoid them.
I think the other dog whistle is to start bitching about the price of gas.

I like the stage coach rules. No religion, no politics, no singing/whistling.