Quantcast

The Fourth=BBQ

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no pictures, but we cooked 6 slabs of ribs for a few neighbors on sunday. here was the mix i used:

2 tbsp paprika (not hot)
2 tbsp chile powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder

used ~1/2 tbsp for the rest:
dry mustard
allspice
cumin
fennel seeds
coriander
salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
turmeric

also crushed two cloves and half a stick of cinnamon w/ my mortar and pestle. and chopped some fresh thyme.

dry rub the ribs all over, then put 'em in a ziploc baggy w/ a splash of cider or white vinegar, enough to moisten the ribs.

since i don't have a smoker, i cook 'em bone-side down at the lowest possible heat, usually takes about 45-60 minutes.

i usually change up the mix and/or proportions every time i make ribs.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
That looks similar to the rub we made but add ginger, hot hungarian paprika, smoked hab powder, & brown sugar...minus the tumeric. I bet the fennel seeds added a nice touch.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ahh...i did add some brown sugar too, but not much.

the turmeric just kinda adds a yellowish color, i don't think there's much flavor transferred.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i grilled my brain all day with beer and nuggets and sun and chicks in bikinis. it was like being in one of those rap videos......

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
no pictures, but we cooked 6 slabs of ribs for a few neighbors on sunday. here was the mix i used:

2 tbsp paprika (not hot)
2 tbsp chile powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder

used ~1/2 tbsp for the rest:
dry mustard
allspice
cumin
fennel seeds
coriander
salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
turmeric

also crushed two cloves and half a stick of cinnamon w/ my mortar and pestle. and chopped some fresh thyme.

dry rub the ribs all over, then put 'em in a ziploc baggy w/ a splash of cider or white vinegar, enough to moisten the ribs.

since i don't have a smoker, i cook 'em bone-side down at the lowest possible heat, usually takes about 45-60 minutes.

i usually change up the mix and/or proportions every time i make ribs.
Would this rub work equally well on a chicken??

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely. go nuts w/ different spices and see what works best for you. i'd probably cut back on the onion and garlic powder, and maybe add a bit more cayenne or perhaps some chiptole chile powder.

drienge

Chimp
Jul 6, 2006
well for me i would suggest my Vinegar Based BBQ Sauce...
You can use this sauce as a basting sauce, or just mix it into your cooked meat when you are ready to eat.
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Or the infamous Santa Barbara Snake Bite Barbecue Sauce....

...assuming you can get any...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Nobody said:
Or the infamous Santa Barbara Snake Bite Barbecue Sauce....

...assuming you can get any...
You share that with zonic man?