Quantcast

the future ease of border crossing....heh

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
anyone else catch this?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/04/05/passports050405.html

Does anyone else think this country has gone into full-on-berzerker-mode? the last paragraph is my favourite...

If the new European Union passports are not in use by the end of October, the United States says it might remove the EU's visa-waiver status. Some analysts have said that could mean a loss of more than $10 billion US to the U.S. travel industry.
...because our economy is flourishing so well right now...of course we can afford to make such a brazen/rash move...right?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i dont think so...i see no reason for retinal scans or other bioinformatics to get in/out of this country.

im just waiting for the rest of the world to treat americans the way the us govt treats them...watch how quickly people will start to hate other countries because they are profiled and treated as lesser people due to their ethnicity, country of origin, etc...

im not saying security measures aren't to be taken..but sometimes things are taken a weeeee bit to far here....

dats all :)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
seand said:
i dont think so...i see no reason for retinal scans or other bioinformatics to get in/out of this country.

im just waiting for the rest of the world to treat americans the way the us govt treats them...watch how quickly people will start to hate other countries because they are profiled and treated as lesser people due to their ethnicity, country of origin, etc...

im not saying security measures aren't to be taken..but sometimes things are taken a weeeee bit to far here....

dats all :)
did you know that when you check into any hotel in Europe, you are required to show your passport. Talk about keeping tabs on people. If you were on vacation somewhere over there, I'd bet it'd take Interpol less than 5 minutes to pin-point where you are (or at least your general location)

As for our country's security... I think China had a grand idea. I saw we build a big frickin' wall along the Rio Grande, extend it out in the ocean and Gulf a few miles... same along the Canadian border. Put some Mach Turrets up there, and anyone caught attempting to illegally crossing into American soil becomes ground chuck.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
lewis black had a similar idea...he wanted to put up a great big wall between the us and canada...but his idea was founded on the thought that all the cold air comes from canada and this will stop it :)

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I did some research this morning - I can renew my passport locally without needing to go downtown. Since it doesn't say you need a "travel visa" to go to Canada, I'm not gonna worry about that - sheesh, with my rate of border crossings I can't imagine what kind of "travel visa" I'd end up with...

As it is now, they've started asking really interesting questions since I cross so often. I think they have written down my standard border crossing reasons and now just check me to see if I make any mistakes.

I wonder if I'll need more than Gravey's vaccine history for her to continue crossing the border all the time too?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
see its different for me.

we travel into canada every week and never get questions beyond "where you going biking today?"

we rarely ever get asked for any ID....

now coming back into the states...we get searched, bothered, the 3rd degree...i hate it...

nothing will change going INTO canada...its coming back that all the changes are affecting.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
seand said:
lewis black had a similar idea...he wanted to put up a great big wall between the us and canada...but his idea was founded on the thought that all the cold air comes from canada and this will stop it :)

interesting...

Actually, if they just put one on the Mexican border, I'd do the jiggiest happy dance you've ever seen.:dancing: In fact, I'd buy beer for everyone on this site! (of legal drinking age that is... i don't want to be all happy then get tossed in fail for distributing to minors).

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
DHRacer said:
did you know that when you check into any hotel in Europe, you are required to show your passport. Talk about keeping tabs on people.
Yep, and in Italy they actually send that info to the police.