Quantcast

The Future of Maine's North Woods

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
This was kinda started in another thread so I figured I would start a thread for it.

Here is a great article to start you off.
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2008-03/features/quimby

Here are some quotes from the article.
By 2005, Plum Creek had proposed a plan to rezone and subdivide 400,000 acres surrounding Moosehead Lake. The plan included development of two large resorts and nearly a thousand residential lots on a portion of the land. "This is the largest, most controversial project ever proposed in the history of Maine," St. Pierre notes.
Roxanne closed her properties to snowmobiles and hunting and gave notice to the camp owners. The land was hers now.
"When this started, we were ready to fight," says Terry. Their resort includes campgrounds, cottages, and miles of snowmobiling trails that cut right through Roxanne's land. Meetings were called; Roxanne came to listen. A year of meetings has made a huge difference. "In the past year, I've done a 180-degree turn in this process," Terry says. "She's listening. She's extended our rights for the snowmobile trails for another year. She's working hard to be a better neighbor. We don't know what the future of the Maine Woods will be -- none of us do. But we do know that we all love the woods, we love our land, and maybe, in the long run, we all want the same thing."
The great trees of these woods are long gone, and much of the new growth, thinner and less substantial, is not good enough for lumber. These trees are chewed up for wood chips or used in pulp mills to make paper. Much of the land Roxanne and Plum Creek have bought has been damaged by extensive logging. Plum Creek is proposing trophy homes and resorts. Roxanne wants her land to return to wilderness.