Quantcast

the goose for turner?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
so ive got a buyer ready to go for the ecd frame and fork and can get a pretty smokin deal on a square tube turner with a romic that's been rewelded and painted by turner. the frame hasn't seen dirt since it got back from turner, but im still a little hesitant. i like the goose, but turner just seems like a better company to deal with especially with an older frame.

opinions?

trev

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Two of my buddies ride those DHR's that are white and black with square tubing. They love em. One of them drilled his so it had a lower bottom bracket. The other guy didn't. The one with the drilled bottom bracket hits his pedals everywhere. I mean everywhere. It's ridiculous where he hits his pedals. He also hits his seat and seatpost when he G's out or hits a drop bigger than 4 feet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I know several guys who ride that frame and love it, not too mention its stupid stable at speed and railing it. Ive pedaled one around a bit and its a sled thats pretty sick in its own right!
Turners CS is tops, one guy I ride with cracked his out and they hooked him up for a replacement for a new one ($ + old frame) and he says its like a glove design! "fits every time".

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I've been on a square-tubed Turner for three years now and got nothing but love for that frame. It's not as pedal friendly as lets say a sunday but other then that the thing rips. if you can find a better cornering bike let me know! the guys over at Turner are awesome and always super helpful I highly recommend buying this bike

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
yaa, the square tube changed my riding forever and i havent stepped foot on anything else thats as comfortable to ride and is the best mix of everything ive got across.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
Two of my buddies ride those DHR's that are white and black with square tubing. They love em. One of them drilled his so it had a lower bottom bracket. The other guy didn't. The one with the drilled bottom bracket hits his pedals everywhere. I mean everywhere. It's ridiculous where he hits his pedals. He also hits his seat and seatpost when he G's out or hits a drop bigger than 4 feet.
ha I had a problem with that seat thing....

bmx seat ftw

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
no floater that i know of. but yea, ive seen the saddle murp on the drilled ones, ill stay away from frame modifications...
you guys have confirmed my beliefs, now i gotta rush to get the frame built up for the may 1st fluidride...

edit: turner doesn't carry the remote resy dhx's anymore, is it hard to find them? avy's are a little spendy...

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
no floater that i know of. but yea, ive seen the saddle murp on the drilled ones, ill stay away from frame modifications...
you guys have confirmed my beliefs, now i gotta rush to get the frame built up for the may 1st fluidride...

edit: turner doesn't carry the remote resy dhx's anymore, is it hard to find them? avy's are a little spendy...
A friend of mine just bought a DHX 5.0 with the remote reservoir for his DHR from mojo in england. www.mojo.co.uk

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington

I'd imagine a good dh bike shop would be able to mod one for you? Ask Push

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
An Avy will more than pay its self off in performance and reliability. Not to mention it's already tuned to suit your bike and riding style by one of the best suspension tuners on the planet.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA

It's not the seat that buzzes its the back of the seat tube. (For the most part anyway, unless you run your seat really far back and/or low). I drilled mine a tad too low and it barely buzzes the seat tube. So little that it took two races (plus three weeks of riding) for the tire to leave a rub mark on a sticker that was on the seat tube.

I thought that drilling the frame might be a mistake until I rode it for the first time. It was downright amazing. No regrets at all, even with the tire buzz (which hasn't happened since I switched to a 2.5 highroller from a 2.5 Nevegal).

It's a great idea to try to find some 160 cranks, however. Pedal clearance is a little low but you get used to it real quick.

Go for the Square tubing!
Greg at Turner will always take care of you. I've cracked my frame, had pivot play issues and simply worn out bearings from long term use and he always fixes the problem without question. This seems to be a common theme with Turner too. :clapping:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004

Check you PM's.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
it just is the best on the planet!

go get yourself a turner and then find out...
I have an 05 dhr, I've had nothing but problems with play in the pivots. I can always get Turner on the phone, and they were always friendly, but I was still paying 70 bucks a pop for bearing kits and shims that never solved the problem (I think its fixed now using bearing mount compound that I found out about here).

From people I've talked to, everyone seems to have problems with pivots in their DHRs. I understand they don't make money off the DHR, and the fact that they still carry bearing kits for older models is great, but they ain't giving the stuff away.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I have an 05 dhr, I've had nothing but problems with play in the pivots. I can always get Turner on the phone, and they were always friendly, but I was still paying 70 bucks a pop for bearing kits and shims that never solved the problem (I think its fixed now using bearing mount compound that I found out about here).

From people I've talked to, everyone seems to have problems with pivots in their DHRs. I understand they don't make money off the DHR, and the fact that they still carry bearing kits for older models is great, but they ain't giving the stuff away.
Yeah I have heard the same thing from some reputable mechanics about the bearings/bushings on the turners. I think they all had some sort of problem with them, but they are great bikes to ride!

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland

that may be the case...but that has nothing to do with their customer service?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
No slop or play in my 05 for the two seasons I had it...and it saw MANY days at whistler in the rain/mud/snow/power washer, etc. It was 100% solid. The needle bearings (like any and all needle bearing applications) are not as well sealed as 'sealed cartrage bearings' and they need regular grease through the zirks if you ride in the wet.

The way the main pivot was designed, the bearing needed to be (designed to be) locked into the frame with loctite retaining compound (not thread lock). The rear shock mount like on many bikes sees lots of angular rotation. The garbage aluminum Fox reducers go bad in a day of DH and should be replaced with steel parts from 5th or marz or RS, or Fox.

Those are the only two 'issues' that I have seen on those generation of DHRs (or rail), and both are 100% non-issues with a small amount of proper maintainance. There are no bushings on the DHR.

As for the CS issue...find me another bike co that will:
1) honor second hand warranties
2) give you info/input on how their WC racers modified their frames (drilling)...and continue to honor the warranty
3) will warranty frame parts via a picture many times (dont need to pay to send parts back)
4) will send warranty parts the same day and get you riding ~immediately
5) custom colors
6) will 'refurbish' older frames (new bearings, paint, etc)
7) will offer $500 (IIRC) trade in on ANY frame they have ever made, no matter the condition
8) the owner will answer the phone and talk to you for an hour about what frame size/model/shock/ect woudl be the most appropriate for you
9) will sell 'mixed' part frames to make something that is not stock (5" rear end on 6" front tri) because of customer specifics
10) has strong grassroots support (demos, sponsored riders, owner gatherings/rides) to promote MTB as a whole

Basically, they are good people who do the 'right thing' for their customers.

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
What does 'great customer service' mean to you then?
ringing up a company say for example Turner...
having a question,
getting a postive response from said company.
(i.e.) (i) aided in answering my question in a friendly positive manner. (ii) if they can't answer my question then offering an alternative. (iii) if they can't think of anything immediately, taking my contact details and getting back to me as soon as possible with a solution. :clapping:

Similar to a problem I actually had, it kind of went the same way as I described above. So I was amazed and delighted.

I have dealt with other bike manufacturers (I am not going to get into naming names because that is lame) and I didn't get even near the same level of support from them, in some cases I didn't even receive a response, I would have been better off going to the local hardware store for a solution.

anyway that's what "great customer service" means to me...

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
davep,

Thanks. I never needed any of those things, so its good to know why their cs is considered great. Do you think they'll do that 500$ trade in for one of the new dw frames? That sounds like a sweet deal.

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I thought that drilling the frame might be a mistake until I rode it for the first time. It was downright amazing. No regrets at all, even with the tire buzz (which hasn't happened since I switched to a 2.5 highroller from a 2.5 Nevegal).
Mine doesn't buzz with a 2.5" High Roller either. It's drilled 9mm back. And yes, I agree that it feels amazing with the lower bottom bracket, although I think it's a touch slacked out for tighter flatter trails. I dropped my Boxxers to 180mm a couple of days ago to steepen it a bit, and also put a 5mm spacer on the shock shaft to reduce travel to 8". BB is at 13.6" now...

Re. the ECD vs the DHR, I would imagine they'd ride very differently looking at the figures (I have only had a short ride on a small ECD and the thing was tiny!) I think the ECDs generally have shorter wheelbases than most other DH bikes but would lenghten when ridden due to the high pivot. The 06 DHRs however are on the long side. My medium was 46" undrilled with 8" Boxxers at their lowest height.

I think that the ECD is also a bit lighter - 11.4lbs with shock and spring (according to sicklines) versus 12.3lbs for the 06 DHR.

Also, on the topic of customer service, I'm the third owner of my frame and when I was building it up I noticed a few hairline cracks around the front shock mount. I got in touch with Turner hoping that they might do a repair service which I'd happily pay for being the third owner, but Greg offered to fix it under warranty provided I cover the shipping to them. They fixed it, heat treated it, powder coated it, put a new bearing kit in and then sent it back to me. Pretty amazing!

And yeah I've had a bearing issue with mine as well. The main RHS bearing bore was a bit loose - more of a slide fit than a press fit which resulted in a tiny bit of play. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the frame design or if it was poor maintenance from the previous two owners, but in any case a bit of loctite 680 fixed it.

And as davep said, the stock aluminium reducers that come with the DHX are ****e - they chew through the shock bushings really quickly. Replace them with stainless steel pins and it's all good.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea i did the first two hood races and unfortunatly broke my collarbone the next weekend at willamette. i needed surgery so i was done for, but now im back n at it and feeling better than ever!

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread but...

There was talk of remote res shocks for the Dhr and I'm looking for a new shock. Does anyone know where to get a remote res DHX from?

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
Everyone always says Turner's support is so great; how exactly is it better than other companies?
I cracked my square tube dhr that i bought used, and drilled out. jumped off the roof of my high school. they gave me a brand new round tube frame for free, even paid shipping both ways. turner is the best company out there when it comes to CS. also when my round tube frame kept getting a loose main pivot, the sent me a new sleeve/bolt/nut that solved the problem (again free). when i had a question about servicing the pivots Dave answered the phone and kindly walked me through it.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread but...

There was talk of remote res shocks for the Dhr and I'm looking for a new shock. Does anyone know where to get a remote res DHX from?
I have an AvyDHS for sale that I had on my 05'DHR.PM me for details.