Quantcast

The guitar thread

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So who plays?
I started playing a year ago but I have about zero time to practice cause Im allways on the road.
Just bought a small acoustic guitar tho, and im really getting back into it.
Never had a lesson but Im playing some songs and just getting into bar chords, the F is my current challenge but Im getting there slow and steady.
So whats a couple easy songs that you enjoyed playing while learning?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Played guitar and bass a bunch in high school and college. Was in a couple crappy bands that got drunk and played parties. Learned a bit of drums too.

Now a days, all I have left are two acoustic guitars that are usually out of tune and collect dust. Once in a great while I play a few chords but that's about it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Been playing about 15 years. Ironically played in a band with my gf's brother long before I knew who she was. Currently have a solid body electric with floyd rose pro tremelo, solid body electric with fixed bridge, semi hollowbody and an acoustic electric. All Ibanez.

My specialty is the sportscenter theme. Ask adventurous.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I took classical lessons for years as a kid. Then stopped for 10 years or so. Then my buddy in university got me back into it. For as long as I've been playing, I should be WAY WAY WAY better than I am.

I have a Washburn acoustic, a black Japanese 50's reissue Strat, a translucent cherry ES335 Dot and my old Takamine classical that I've basically given to Emily. Grace has a little chinese made 3/4 scale Fender classical.

My amp is a Rivera Chubster 40

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I took classical lessons for years as a kid. Then stopped for 10 years or so. Then my buddy in university got me back into it. For as long as I've been playing, I should be WAY WAY WAY better than I am.

I have a Washburn acoustic, a black Japanese 50's reissue Strat, a translucent cherry ES335 Dot and my old Takamine classical that I've basically given to Emily. Grace has a little chinese made 3/4 scale Fender classical.

My amp is a Rivera Chubster 40
The Chubster 40 has 2 channels the British side and the American side. Which channel do you use? Nice amp by the way.....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
OP - get at least a couple of lessons from someone who knows what he is doing. Bad habits come quick and die hard. I do not play as often as I used to any more (8 years of classic guitar classes with a choice of becoming a career musician, lots of thrash metal, ...) but I still have four guitars on two continents and they help me out of bad mood.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i was a hack player at one time myself. took some lessons from a guy i worked with and bought a chord book. could read music ok and had a good ear. so all that combined helped to learn to play songs i liked. i had a couple of strats, bc rich mockingbird (MIJ), charvel, a jackson, mesa boogie amp and a roland gp 16 effects processor. don't know if it's still around but there use to be a magazine called Guitar for the Practicing Musician. they would print sheet music to all the popular songs at the time, this was in the 80's. but the way they did tab was nice and easy to read. the first song i was taught to play was I can't explain by The Who. easy to learn but it was a good start to learn how to do simple chord changes. if you can take a few lessons to start, that might get you going in the right direction.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Prince is a Wwierd, egotistical Ffuck (nice "third eye sunglasses, a-hole) who might be musically talented but has chosen to play Sshitty, glam-pop Mmusic for most of his career. Also, your posts proved your daughter can play guitar, not you.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I know I should take lessons, problem is Ive literally been living out of my bag for the last 8 years.
Might try and find someone this winter while im on my 4month break but i dont think theres a ton of guitar teachers where im going...

Im allready playing stuff like black by Pearl Jam, Redemption song and recently been getting the hang of my first bar chord (F) so I can play hotel california. :D
I know these are still watered down versions of those songs so I feel I might need to get some help to take it to the next step.

And yea, lets see some more monkeys playing allready!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
In the US, just about every music store offers lessons. Just walk in and ask. Doesn't have to be someone famous, just better than you. Learn the basics, scales and such. The boring stuff. But that is what everything else is based upon. If you can't play scales, you can't play lead, and you won't understand chord progressions. Even if you can find some old Mel Bay music books, they can teach the basics.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
I was a rock band roadie for 40+ years. For the last 25 years or so I have put together a series of hobby groups, because I have a studio to play in and because I know a lot of musicians. For a while my group was the house band in a sleazy bar, but I didn't care for staying up until 2 a.m. three nights a week.

I have a bunch of guitars. My electrics include a Les Paul and an American Stratocaster, but lately I have been playing the Ibanez Les Paul knockoff, which sounds pretty good and is ten pounds lighter than the Gibson.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
tech your daughter to play this....tell her it's about marriage...

or this one....