Quantcast

The Italian Monkey is finally off my back!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have a few free minutes from covering a stage race to bring you this important news!

Went from this...

to this:

Ditched all the craptacular Campy and FSA drivetrain junk in favor of a 7800 group (sans cranks and brakes) and Cane Creek 200SL brakes. Also swapped the bars/post for FSA K-Force, and I'm currently on the saddle demo train (saddle of the day is a Selle Italia SLK - definite ass hatchet).

Most noticeably, ditched the 1650~g clincher Campagnolo Nucleons for some 1100g Zipp 303 tub rims laced to American Classic hubs. I don't think I can ride anything else ever again. These wheels just FLY.

Also affixed: Pink FSA topcap, a bunch of Marsuccky stickers on the top tube, a Chumley identifier (my foundation fights morbid childhood obesity), and a Transition Syren sticker on the other side.

Baptism by fire is the Tour of Utah amateur crit tomorrow. 100 feet of climbing a lap, it's going straight up Main St. Park City. Gonna be rad.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ultrawide lens was what was on the camera...it's only a 12.

The AC rear hub broke/was already broken out on my ride today. Awesome.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The new parts did well. Wrecked in the crit and lost almost a lap, but made it up and won at the line. DA group held up nicely, even post crash. Post got tweaked 20 degrees to the side, though.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The K-Forces? I'm not sure if I like them or not. Haven't done any real rides on them yet.
Proper round bend handlebars are the only way to go. Road bikes have had them for 60 years for a reason. Comfort and control. The diffence ratios (if you will) between various spots on "ergo" bars don't jive with bike handling or true comfort. They came up with that stuff to sell more units and/or stick more people on less sizes of bike.
A proper deep drop round bar (belgian bend is what we would have called them back in the 90's) like a Deda deep or a Pro Thor is going to give you the most usable positions. Crotchedy old snobs will give you immediate cred too. Any bar is going to have less reach than the way your kforce bars are set up. Going to a 130 with a shorter reach bar will improve the handling of the bike v. a 120. The shape of the bars is probabally the biggest reason you have your saddle pointed down. Or vice-versa. You can certainly get a more balanced position on there with a few setup tweaks. It almost jives, dig?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Proper round bend handlebars are the only way to go. Road bikes have had them for 60 years for a reason. Comfort and control. The diffence ratios (if you will) between various spots on "ergo" bars don't jive with bike handling or true comfort. They came up with that stuff to sell more units and/or stick more people on less sizes of bike.
A proper deep drop round bar (belgian bend is what we would have called them back in the 90's) like a Deda deep or a Pro Thor is going to give you the most usable positions. Crotchedy old snobs will give you immediate cred too. Any bar is going to have less reach than the way your kforce bars are set up. Going to a 130 with a shorter reach bar will improve the handling of the bike v. a 120. The shape of the bars is probabally the biggest reason you have your saddle pointed down. Or vice-versa. You can certainly get a more balanced position on there with a few setup tweaks. It almost jives, dig?
Thanks for the tips re: bars. I've never ridden with a "standard" deep drop bar, and definitely would be interested in trying out a set. The lens distortion definitely gave the saddle a downward pointing look, but it's pretty flat atm. I could definitely use an 11 stem instead of the 12, getting out on the drops is just a touch too far for my tastes. Then again, if I switched to standard bars, I might negate that issue.