Quantcast

The "MAN" has put a halt on Baldy!!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
....for now anyway.

Just got off the phone with the "MAN" actually it's a woman and she's super nice and on our side 100%. The problem is that the environmental reports that we were using are outdated (oops) and that means they will need to be redone before we can do anything. Baldy has this in the plans, but it will take months and tons of $$$.

So for now we are going to lay low and wait for the reports to be finished. This is an unexpected turn of events. Actually I expected unexpected turns of events so maybe this is an expected unexpected turn of events?

Long story short, cancel you plans to go up to Baldy this weekend. We won't be able to do anything.

I wonder if it's too late for me to get a ride to Tahoe? :think:

MTNDREW

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
SoCali
that sucks. does this mean the wilson ride is back on?
i hope it doesnt take too long so we will have a place to ride during the summer?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Yes, its true. The MAN is keeping us down! But the positive thing is that we now have a relationship not only with the Forest Service, but with the District Special Projects Ranger. So while we have experienced a setback we are on a better track to follow through with our plans. We know what we need to do, and how to work with the forest service. And the reality of all this is that the FS holds the keys. We nor the ski resorts can do anything without FS approval.

If everyone wants to ride I will host a Mt. Wilson shuttle either tomorrow or sunday. We can BBQ at a local park afterwards and drink lot's of beer. If everyone is down, post here or PM me. Sat or Sun is good for me, what's good for you all?

Keep the faith. This WILL happen. Remember, had we done anything without FS approval we would have been black listed from future projects, including later expansion of Baldy. This way it takes longer, but we will be much better off in the long run. With the environmental reports filed and approval granted we'll be able to create newer and better trails every year for many years to come. Think of it this way: Whistler was not done and completed overnight or even in one summer. It took years of hard work, but look at what they have now. And who here wouldn't give up some riding time now to have even half of what Whistler can offer? If we do this right we will still be riding and creating better trails 2, 3 or even 5 years from now.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
My bike is being repaired, but I was going to use my wife's.

Oh well. At least I did a couple rides this week to get ready.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
blt2ride said:
That blows! However, with a project this big I would expect some red tape...
Yup, and that's exactly what this is... Red tape. We'll get through this and be successful. Think about what we are doing... would anyone expect to something like the major construction of a bike only trail network to be finished in one summer? Nah... like any other construction venture, there are gov't agencies we need to work with. The real upshot is that when we are done we'll have working knowledge of how the system works and should another opportunity someday present itself we'll be ready.

If anyone is just dying to see the mountain however, I don't mind leading a walking tour of Baldy.

I have to say, it is really impressiv to see the amount of support this project has gotten in the short amount of time we have been doing this. The FS, Baldy and others are very impressed with the level of committment from our So Cal cycling community. It really shows how much we all love our sport and that we are willing to work to preserve and advance it.

You guys rock.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Dam I`am so glad i do`nt live in So Cal any more there is so much DH ring up here in Da` PNW and hunting and fishing ,and ton`s of trails with ladders and other stunts :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: ,and no smog :p :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
shocktower said:
Dam I`am so glad i do`nt live in So Cal any more there is so much DH ring up here in Da` PNW and hunting and fishing ,and ton`s of trails with ladders and other stunts :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: ,and no smog :p :p
Move over man, cause I am heading your way!

In a few years.

Sep 10, 2001
I was talking to Zark about this yesterday.... Even though it's not going to happen overnight like we would all like to see, it seems progress is being made in a positive direction. Keep up the good work guys!!

Brian