Quantcast

The mountain won this weekend....

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
First off I just want to say hello to everyone here :wave:. I've been to Diablo a few times already and everytime I go I have a blast. I ride a 2003 Big Hit Comp, red, and a red 661 helmet so feel free to say hi if you see me.

Well this Sunday I went to the wonderful Diablo Freeride park for a day of riding, what I went home with was a broken bike and some major bruising :imstupid:. I will not pull what I see here a lot and say it's the mountains fault or anything like that, it was totally my wrong doing. I was flying down Alpine andmisjudged the drop of one of the erosion logs, and when i rolled over it i went foward and my rear suspension unloaded, sending me into a nice Superman to a Jackie Chan roll (and from the sound of it my bike went for quite a tumble too, I'm hoping someone saw that from the gondola). Too bad my falling skills arent up to par because I landed on my right shoulder pretty damn hard, enough to make me think that I fractured it. Luckily the x-rays came back negative, I just have some bruising of the collar bone, some nasty scratches, and some major swelling, nothing that some pain killers won't take care of.

But that fall did open my eyes about protective gear. As my skill and confidence increases, so will the risk of taking another hard fall like that. And honestly I don't know how many more of those I can take before I really screw myself up. I already have a full face helmet, gloves, and knee/shin guards, so I think it's time I put some money into protecting my chest/arms by getting a upper body armor shirt thing (whatever you call it). Looking at the reviews it looks like the Rockgardn Flak Jacket and the 661 Pressure suit got the best reviews. I was wonder from fellow Diablo riders which one you prefer?

Thanks in advance and hope to see you up on the mountain this weekend (if my shoulder is up to it).

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
First off I just want to say hello to everyone here :wave:. I've been to Diablo a few times already and everytime I go I have a blast. I ride a 2003 Big Hit Comp, red, and a red 661 helmet so feel free to say hi if you see me.

Well this Sunday I went to the wonderful Diablo Freeride park for a day of riding, what I went home with was a broken bike and some major bruising :imstupid:. I will not pull what I see here a lot and say it's the mountains fault or anything like that, it was totally my wrong doing. I was flying down Alpine andmisjudged the drop of one of the erosion logs, and when i rolled over it i went foward and my rear suspension unloaded, sending me into a nice Superman to a Jackie Chan roll (and from the sound of it my bike went for quite a tumble too, I'm hoping someone saw that from the gondola). Too bad my falling skills arent up to par because I landed on my right s houlder pretty damn hard, enough to make me think that I fractured it. Luckily the x-rays came back negative, I just have some bruising of the collar bone, some nasty scratches, and some major swelling, nothing that some pain killers won't take care of.

But that fall did open my eyes about protective gear. As my skill and confidence increases, so will the risk of taking another hard fall like that. And honestly I don't know how many more of those I can take before I really screw myself up. I already have a full face helmet, gloves, and knee/shin guards, so I think it's time I put some money into protecting my chest/arms by getting a upper body armor shirt thing (whatever you call it). Looking at the reviews it looks like the Rockgardn Flak Jacket and the 661 Pressure suit got the best reviews. I was wonder from fellow Diablo riders which one you prefer?

Thanks in advance and hope to see you up on the mountain this weekend (if my shoulder is up to it).

DUDE, hope you heal up, two or three weeks ago i took a similar fall like that one but on the lower part of alpine after that chute into the burm ,and i also mis-judged a log and sailed in to a fallen down tree near the creek down from that trail that tree stoiped me fron falling further down from the trail.not hurt but shaken up.:monkeydance:

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Looking at the reviews it looks like the Rockgardn Flak Jacket and the 661 Pressure suit got the best reviews. I was wonder from fellow Diablo riders which one you prefer?
I've used the 661 for a couple seasons. it does what it needs to, and fits pretty nicely. the price is right too. I recommend you try them on. various brands are sized completely differently. I tried a large (5'10", 200lbs) and I was swimming in it. Tried on a Fox Medium and couldn't get my arms in it.

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
I've used the 661 for a couple seasons. it does what it needs to, and fits pretty nicely. the price is right too. I recommend you try them on. various brands are sized completely differently. I tried a large (5'10", 200lbs) and I was swimming in it. Tried on a Fox Medium and couldn't get my arms in it.
i got the fox launch suit it works good

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
sorry to hear about your fall. you're not the first victim of those 'erosion' logs, and i doubt you'll be the last. i think they're a really bad idea.

dunno what size you are, but i've got a brand new, unused 661 pressure suit for sale (see sig). it's a large.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
yeah those logs are tricky since you carry so much speed through that trail, I guess Alpine earned it's black diamond status now. I bailed right after the left hand turn where Domboo and Alpine meet, on the second of the three logs on that stretch.

I would love to get the Dianese jacket, as I hear it is the best out there. The only problem is the $$ aspect. The jacket alone is half the value of my bike and I just can't afford it right now. I was hoping to spend less than $175.

Corey, that is a great deal on the 661, but at 5'6" and about 150lb I'd be swimming in that, best of luck with the sale though.

I completely forgot about the Fox suit so now I have to add that to my research list. Does anyone here have the Rockgardn one by any chance to get a little feedback on that? I'd like to place an order soon so maybe I can have it b this weekend.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i had the 661 shortsleeve pressure suit, it worked well but i didnt crash hard in it. I bought a rockgardn flakjacket at the beginning of this year and like it alot more. It seems to fit a little better (less bulky). Its got more hard shells in pretty important areas than in the shortsleeve version, i'm not sure about the full pressure suit. The mesh on the 661 suits is a bit softer than on the RG. It's nice though because the arm pads are removable.

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
yeah those logs are tricky since you carry so much speed through that trail, I guess Alpine earned it's black diamond status now. I bailed right after the left hand turn where Domboo and Alpine meet, on the second of the three logs on that stretch.

I would love to get the Dianese jacket, as I hear it is the best out there. The only problem is the $$ aspect. The jacket alone is half the value of my bike and I just can't afford it right now. I was hoping to spend less than $175.

Corey, that is a great deal on the 661, but at 5'6" and about 150lb I'd be swimming in that, best of luck with the sale though.

I completely forgot about the Fox suit so now I have to add that to my research list. Does anyone here have the Rockgardn one by any chance to get a little feedback on that? I'd like to place an order soon so maybe I can have it b this weekend.
if you live in nyc there is a bike shop called TREAD that sells a dianese jacket for $200

Both I and my wife have the RG Flak Jackets. I really like it, except the mesh makes you look like a lizard after you take it off...lol. Lots of air flow, and plenty of protection. As mentioned before the arms are removable, and the spine protector is as well. I take mine off when wearing my Camelback Havoc while filming. Versatile, and a fair price. I'm 5'10...160...and wear a Medium.

As far as the logs...after talking to Shawn (Shaun?), they're more for SPEED control, than erosion. Trails like Domboo had people riding too fast, and consequently skidding/crashing, so a lot of the logs are to keep speeds down...even the ones on Alpine. He told me this after I mentioned that they seem a bit excessive. After learning the true purpose...gotta admit...they're effective.