Quantcast

The NEW Shaggin' Wagon...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Hey Monk-eeeeeeeeeees...

My Jeep is looking like it's on its' last legs...sooooo, I would like some input on what vehicles you guys (and gals, of course) drive and how they handle long distances (1,000 miles plus at a time), hill climbing (like mountain passes), and particularly difficult fire road traversing with a couple bikes hangin' off a rack (Hitch mounting required for my T2). Opinions of highway gas mileage friendly SUV owners are especially appreciated! Also, if you would be so kind as to include your height and how comfy the drivers seat is, that would be great....Cause I'm 6'7"...I'm kinda lookin' for a niche model I guess....

Thanks so much in advance!

~Squirrel

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i don't own one but people seem to love their xterras. if I felt like having that much of a loan payment I would really be looking at one of those.

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
New 4-door tacoma. Low 20ish MPG and you wouldn't need a rack. You could also get the 6 speed manual for the mountain passes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Toyota Taco is the only way to go. Good on gas and lots of room. I'm 6'4", my son is 6'6" and my best friend is 6'5", we all fit in the extra cab model (not the 4 door model) without issue. We have had 5 people in it on road trips and it's close, but not squished.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
narlus said:
heed your leader. break your oil addiction.
good point. what you should really be looking at is buying a vw rabbit and converting it to run on recycled cooking oil. leg room shouldn't be a problem as long as you take out the front seat and sit in the back.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
Toyota Taco is the only way to go. Good on gas and lots of room. I'm 6'4", my son is 6'6" and my best friend is 6'5", we all fit in the extra cab model (not the 4 door model) without issue. We have had 5 people in it on road trips and it's close, but not squished.
That's my next vehicle!

Y'all tall dudes need 29ers too...

:monkey:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have a 2000 Tacoma V6 and it is a real nice truck, I am 6'2" and there is plenty of room, especially with the extra cab.. Mileage is a bit poor though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here's the new Toyota Tundra full-sized truck this year if you want to really suck down some gas...

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
You're asking for qualities that are usually mutually exclusive. Power on mountain passes (I'm assuming you mean high elevation and steep grades) demands a good power to weight ratio. There are some smaller, lighter cars that get relatively good mileage, (BMW 3 series, Audi A4's...) but none of the models I know of have hitch mounts or room for a 6'7" driver, and they're not going off the pavement. I'm only 6'3" and I have to put the seats of most cars I drive all the way down and back. I haven't driven a Toyota Tacoma, but they are popular. If you could live with a station wagon, a Subaru Outback might be worth a try. I haven't driven one, but it seems like it might be a decent compromise.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stgil888 said:
You're asking for qualities that are usually mutually exclusive. Power on mountain passes (I'm assuming you mean high elevation and steep grades) demands a good power to weight ratio. There are some smaller, lighter cars that get relatively good mileage, (BMW 3 series, Audi A4's...) but none of the models I know of have hitch mounts or room for a 6'7" driver, and they're not going off the pavement. I'm only 6'3" and I have to put the seats of most cars I drive all the way down and back. I haven't driven a Toyota Tacoma, but they are popular. If you could live with a station wagon, a Subaru Outback might be worth a try. I haven't driven one, but it seems like it might be a decent compromise.
The new RAV4 268hp V6 does everything he wants except being good offroad (it does have 4WD lock now though). It can tow 3500 lbs, has a hitch option, lots of room (73 cu ft cargo space with the back seats down), sub 7 second 0-60, 21/28 mpg w/regular gas. Doesn't look quite as ugly as the old version either.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I dig Subarus, I have had 2 before the 2 Foresters we have now... they get good not great gas milage, around 26-28 on the highway, and can go all day long... I have had a hitch on both of my previous models, and towed a quad on my trailer with no problems... the 4 wheel drive isn't that good offroad, but on dirt/unimproved roads it is great and don't even blink at the abilities in snow. I am 6'2" and my seat is about half way back the tracks. plenty of room left for taller folks. it is an option.

I know some people don't like the styling, but the Honda Element is a FANTASTIC performer, and was recomended to taller people by Click and Clack. that is one to look at!!!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
My dad just picked up a Toyota Land Cruiser. Not great on fuel efficiency, but I believe on the freeway it is low 20's, which for a V8 of that size is impressive.

Plenty of room in the back, hitch friendly, plenty of power, 4 wheel drive. We took it hunting the first weekend we got it and I was amazed at some of the stuff that car was capable of. Basically I went from hating it to loving it. Plenty of head room too.

'Yo Taco's are nice too. Road tripped in my friend's '02 Tacoma many times. We once drove straight through to Durango from Santa Barbara, CA, so it can definitely handle long miles.

The Ito

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ito said:
My dad just picked up a Toyota Land Cruiser. Not great on fuel efficiency, but I believe on the freeway it is low 20's, which for a V8 of that size is impressive.
does he actually get low 20s on the highway, or is that the suggested mpg is?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just spent 6 mo shopping for the same vehical.
I ended up getting a Mazda 6 wagon cause I got a screaming deal and I decided I didn't need all wheel drive.

Suggestion: Volvo XC70.
Better AWD system than you think. Surprisingly capable offroad.
Probably has better ground clearance than most small SUVs
22-26mpg
Very comfy for tall people. Turbo gives plenty of power for mountain passes and manumatic tranny makes passing on 2 lane roads easy.
Very easy to drive long distances. Much better than my old truck.
2" hitch is easy to get. I got quotes for $275 installed.
Used '02-'03 can be had for about $20k.
Stay away from anything older. They had ignition issues.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
syadasti said:
The new RAV4 268hp V6 does everything he wants except being good offroad (it does have 4WD lock now though). It can tow 3500 lbs, has a hitch option, lots of room (73 cu ft cargo space with the back seats down), sub 7 second 0-60, 21/28 mpg w/regular gas. Doesn't look quite as ugly as the old version either.

I'm a big fan of the company car my wife got which is an '05 Camry. Has just enough room for me driving to not suck...so I think that Toyo could be the way to go....I like the idea of the V6 plus the 4WD and the towing cap. 28 mpg (rated of course...) is way better than the 20 I'm getting from the Jeep right now...

Thanks!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
brungeman said:
I dig Subarus, I have had 2 before the 2 Foresters we have now... they get good not great gas milage, around 26-28 on the highway, and can go all day long... I have had a hitch on both of my previous models, and towed a quad on my trailer with no problems... the 4 wheel drive isn't that good offroad, but on dirt/unimproved roads it is great and don't even blink at the abilities in snow. I am 6'2" and my seat is about half way back the tracks. plenty of room left for taller folks. it is an option.

I know some people don't like the styling, but the Honda Element is a FANTASTIC performer, and was recomended to taller people by Click and Clack. that is one to look at!!!
Hmmm....I just might have to revisit a Subaru dealer...I tried a few about 4 years ago and they sucked for driver leg room... So this is very good to hear!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not a huge fan of the newer Toyota trucks, they have gotten way too HUGE.

I am buying my wife an older Taco (98ish) with the 4 banger. The 4 doesn't have the HP of the V6, but it also doesn't have a rubber timming belt that needs to be replaced every 60k either. Also, the V6 isn't THAT much better than the 4 in my experience.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
syadasti said:
Here's the new Toyota Tundra full-sized truck this year if you want to really suck down some gas...

where'd you find the pic? Any more info on them? I've heard all the rumors about them (deisel options, V10 options, etc.)... still waiting to hear offical info though.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
ito said:
There's no way your dad's LC gets low 20's unless its been modified. http://www.fueleconomy.gov lists it at 13/17 or 14/16 depending on the year. I have an '03 4-door Tacoma (6 cyl, auto) and driving 70% highway 30% road on average, I'm consistantly getting around 18.5 mpg. Its listed as 16/19, which seems just about right. I've gotten as good as 20.5 mpg. I put a K&N air filter in it a few months ago and I initially started getting better gas mileage, but the more I drive the more I think that was just because I was trying to get better gas mileage.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm buddies with one of the guys at my local toyota dealership. He's spent some time in the hybrid Highlanders - says the have LOTS of umph (so should be good up those mountains), get around 600miles per tank of gas, and have decent cargo space. When you say difficult fire road, are you talking about access roads that aren't really maintained - i.e. the need for decent ground clearance and 4wd? If that's the case, perhaps you should wait till the new FJcruiser comes out... smaller than a 4Runner, so gas mileage should be decent, but all the versatility you could ask for. Aesthetics are, um, unconventional.

Not sure how you'd fit in either.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jacksonpt said:
where'd you find the pic? Any more info on them? I've heard all the rumors about them (deisel options, V10 options, etc.)... still waiting to hear offical info though.
I found it on carspyshots.net but I think I've seen it on autoblog.com too. The Hollywood Extra autoblog has camo'd shots of three different models of the new Tundra. What do you need the Americanized Tundra for though, the Americanized Taco is already pretty big and powerful...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
syadasti said:
I found it on carspyshots.net but I think I've seen it on autoblog.com too. The Hollywood Extra autoblog has camo'd shots of three different models of the new Tundra. What do you need the Americanized Tundra for though, the Americanized Taco is already pretty big and powerful...
I don't need it... the taco would be perfect for me - more curious than anything as I have a thing for toyota trucks.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
douglas said:
rav4=pos, IMO
The old one was innovative for its time (1994) as all the other auto companies followed suit with crossover SUV offerings but is dated by today's standards. The new one only shares the name.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Tenchiro said:
I have a 2000 Tacoma V6 and it is a real nice truck, I am 6'2" and there is plenty of room, especially with the extra cab.. Mileage is a bit poor though.
I have one of these too. I get around 20-22 using premium (92 R+M/2 octane). Goes up the Sea to Sky real nice with 2 bikes on the side racks.
Can't say I agree that Tacos are comfy; at least this model year. I had a painful trip to Bend and ordered a Recaro the next business day when I got home. MUCH better. If you go Recaro, the "Trend" model works pretty well and get the 'power option'. The heat is nice but the fan is awesome. No more sweaty long trips.
Been thinking that I'll just plan on buying Recaros for just about any new, average car I buy. The MINI seats are just about as average as I'd want to go. If you don't carry other peoples bikes often and road trips are solo or with just one other person, the MINI Cooper S would be a great option. I would advise looking into the various methods of attaching a hitch rack though.
The factory roof rack is ok but requires drilling thru the roof skin to get to the hard points.
DO NOT get any model lower in power than the S. You will hate it in the mountains. On long trips we get about 30-35 mpg. I imagine it'd be quite a bit worse with bikes up top.