Quantcast

the next big thing

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are you talking magnets or electromagnets? Big difference.
what he said

to use magnetic suspension on a bike it would have to be an electromagnet, otherwise it would just be way too large

even at that, the strongest electromagnet ive seen that could be reasonably fitted into a rear shock or as suspension (in terms of size) weighed about 2lbs and could hold a 100kg weight.

youd need two of them to repel each other etc, so 4lbs before damping and mounting hardware is even considered.
it was powered by a 9v battery pack

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Everything you need to know about 2009, right here.

http://www.dropmachine.com/Feature
Now that is some funny and yet down-to-earth sh*t. Love it.

Personally, I want to see a whole lot more trails, and as was mentioned earlier in the thread - some standard, set and forget trails. I'd love to see a trail remain unchanged year in, year out with records held to show progress.

Parts wise - I haven't broken a deraileur in like 3 or 4 years so i don't give a f*ck about gearboxes unless they're light and don't compromise suspension. I want to see Easton make a proper width DH handlebar, Thomson a DM stem, Mavic a 721 without the flatspot inviting sidewall, Shimano a brake that combines the awesome power of the new Saint with one of their old levers that had a pivot withing 14" of the handlebar.

Kevlar bead DH tyres - where are they? Death to all thru-axle x quick-release devices on DH bikes. Avid Codes with the upgraded seals off the Elixir, or at least a Code Caliper with Elixir Lever hybrid. More manufacturers getting into the I-beam stuff. The designer of Truvativ Butterfelt alloy crashing his prototype sports car when the rims disintegrate at 80kph despite being on a relatively smooth road with no potholes, then having warranty denied for "abusive" driving.

DM stem mount standard across all fork manufacturers. Standard for brake mounts, standard for seatpost sizing (albeit with some variance for tubing diffs), standard for axle sizing, standard for brake fluids and hose fittings.

The rounding up, incarceration and execution of all Presta valve supporters.

Flavoured fork and shock oil that tastes great and doesn't sting when it gets in your eyes during a drunken rebuild. Ditto for brake fluid.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks more stormtrooper to me...
and really, thats the next big thing, lazer's and sh!t.
I think that's more like...looks very moto, since it's essentially a roost guard. I actually dig the look, but don't think that offers the protection that riders need.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Don't know if it's been covered, but... linkage front suspension. Everyone gets all crazy in the head about brake squat and brake jack, AND how much platform damping sucks but are perfectly happy to use telescopic forks and crank of the low speed compression to combat brake dive. Duh.
Duh... :think: Umm, doesn't the geometry of linkage forks that allows them to dive less also result in an axle path that is more vertical? So even though the general consensus on rear suspension design is rearward arc (matching current rearward movement of the front axle), we move to linkage forks that would take us in the opposite direction??? :crazy: Correct me if I'm wrong...

No offense Ohio. I used a Girvin back in the day for a good few years...pretty trick back then!

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
ive seen that pic, and yes its not something you ever want to see happen to a DH wheel but it is a road bike, therefore weight is most likely of more concern that durability. there was a pic of the supposedly bombproof i9 wheelset here a while ago that was in way worse shape than the above, it can happen to any wheel.

mavic have an XC wheelset kicking around at the mo, i think its a case of when and not if they eventually will be seen in DH

the rim on a traditional wheel has to make up for the lack of the spokes strength under compression so could be made lighter leaving the spokes and the hub to take some of the forces, in theory at least. and even if not, the rotational weight saved from the spokes, even beefed up DH ones would be significant.

True, but who ever said the I9's were bombproof, I definitely don't consider them such. Also, how much worse can it get than the hub being completely separated from the rim? I remember a pic of one with quite a few snapped spokes on the rear wheel if that is the one you are referring to.

Traditional rims like the 5.1's and 721 still dent and fold on the sidewalls, you couldn't make them lighter while reducing this problem spare mavic's use of machined sections of the rim. That however adds quite a bit to the cost of the rim. Speaking of rotational weight, there wouldn't be a significant difference since the center of mass of the spokes is roughly 6 1/2" from the hub while the rims and tires are out at 12-13". A 50 gram reduction on the tire would make a larger difference than switching between say dt champ spokes and dt revolution spokes even thought it is 90g less per wheel. I think you could make a stiffer wheel around roughly the same weight of current light DH wheelsets (2000-2100g), but probably not lighter with retaining the durability. There is a certain point where the cost can't be justified for the gains and I think CF dh spokes are that. IMO time would be better spent on tubeless tire and rim development or converting to straight pull spokes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the rim on a traditional wheel has to make up for the lack of the spokes strength under compression so could be made lighter leaving the spokes and the hub to take some of the forces, in theory at least. and even if not, the rotational weight saved from the spokes, even beefed up DH ones would be significant.
Could you please explain how a conventional spoke ever sees compression? It is basically a piece of wire that is tensioned. :busted:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
About the carbon fiber spokes, there not really lighter. The Mavic wheels that have them are cool, but mostly about bling factor. the rear can only have the carbon on one side, and still has alloy on the other. the front on the other hand, is all carbon and all radial, and my one pros with 32 spokes are less rotational weight than the CF spoked wheels. the hoops themselves are lighter than the CF Specific hoops. My open pros Def corner and hold better.

ABout spoke being under comopression. Only the Mavic CF spokes are ever under compression, other spoke systems are under tension, and when you think about it, your actually hanging on the spoke, not sitting on it as the wheel rolls. I still wouldnt say the CF spoke is really ever under compression.

And yes, I have had to send ALOT of spokes back on the CF spokes wheels for cracking, or full on breaking. Not something I want on my dh bike.

I think the next big thing will be a new compound for tires that will be light, and sticky.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Could you please explain how a conventional spoke ever sees compression? It is basically a piece of wire that is tensioned. :busted:
im not sure you read my post correctly, i said a traditional rim uses tension of the spoke and not compression because it cannot. it would obviously fold in on itself..

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
ABout spoke being under comopression. Only the Mavic CF spokes are ever under compression, other spoke systems are under tension, and when you think about it, your actually hanging on the spoke, not sitting on it as the wheel rolls. I still wouldnt say the CF spoke is really ever under compression.
true you are hanging on the spokes at the top, but i would argue that some of the strain is taken up by the spokes at the bottom of the wheel.

were these CF road wheels you are referring to? are the spokes actually hollow or solid?
also would you say they weigh more or less than a Ti spoke?

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Oh boy! I hope guys didn't really just go there with how a spoked wheel works. This could get ugly.

*pulls up chair and gets comfortable to watch*

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Duh... :think: Umm, doesn't the geometry of linkage forks that allows them to dive less also result in an axle path that is more vertical? So even though the general consensus on rear suspension design is rearward arc (matching current rearward movement of the front axle), we move to linkage forks that would take us in the opposite direction???
A rearward path gives you better shock absorption (due to the inertia of the unsprung weight and the geometry of the hit), yes, but it gives you worse handling under acceleration and braking. However, as components get lighter and damping circuits do a better job at high shaft speeds, there are huge gains to be had by focusing on handling. Especially braking on a downhill which can take you from 30% travel used (static sag) to 60% used before you've even absorbed a bump. You can also dial back low-speed damping significantly which can improve small bump sensitivity and gain back (or more) what was lost to a more rearward axle path.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Oh boy! I hope guys didn't really just go there with how a spoked wheel works. This could get ugly.

*pulls up chair and gets comfortable to watch*
i saw a computer modeled stress analysis somewhere that demonstrated (or, at least the interpretation of the data suggested) that the wheel was technically supported by the spokes under the hub, not above. i think this was based on the data that showed a net decrease of tension below (ie, negative tension = compression), but no tension change in the spokes above. kinda a misinterpreted supposition i think. brainier people want to confirm?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
'The bicycle wheel' by Jobst Brandt has some data to that effect if I am remembering correctly. The second half of the book is dedicated to comparing stiffness, deflection, tensions, etc of differing wheel designs and builds under different loads. There is also a section of FEA analysis of a wheel as a system....

I think they were using this terminology just to keep things (directions of force vectors) correct so the math worked out correctly...ie negative tension is an 'odd' term.

Obviously if a spoke(s) ever reached zero tension the wheel would would be seriously compromised (ie DB spokes = good).

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
i saw a computer modeled stress analysis somewhere that demonstrated (or, at least the interpretation of the data suggested) that the wheel was technically supported by the spokes under the hub, not above. i think this was based on the data that showed a net decrease of tension below (ie, negative tension = compression), but no tension change in the spokes above. kinda a misinterpreted supposition i think. brainier people want to confirm?
Nah, what you're seeing is that the bottom spoke goes through the greatest change in tension (and a negative change at that), but is still in tension. The changes in the other spokes are much more distributed.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
The Next Big Thing: Single speed downhill. Sounds counterintuitive, I know. Ive been riding this way for awhile now and will never go back to gears unless gearboxes become more of a reality. I have converted quite a few people. With riders having a different bike for different disiplines of riding, there really isnt a big draw back.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
true you are hanging on the spokes at the top, but i would argue that some of the strain is taken up by the spokes at the bottom of the wheel.

were these CF road wheels you are referring to? are the spokes actually hollow or solid?
also would you say they weigh more or less than a Ti spoke?
The CF spokes are hollow, Overall ther is less weight than a Ti spoked wheel, mainly due to there being so many less spokes. Defenetly stiffer too.

Here is the link to Mavics Tracomp systems, its flash from this point, so search it a bit, you will see the breakdowns and such.

and no, there is NO tension at all on teh CF spokes

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
What ratio do you run on your downhill bike if you have it set up for single speed?
Depends on where Im riding. I carry a 12t, 14t, 16t, cogs and Im running a 36t chainwheel.
99.9% of the time its between 14t or 16t. hardly ever rock the 12t.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What setup are you using? What frame? Rohloff tensioner or something else? Where do you ride or what kinda trails?

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
What setup are you using? What frame? Rohloff tensioner or something else? Where do you ride or what kinda trails?
Everything I own is single speed.
Rumble is setup with horizontal drops, so no issue there.
Cowan DS has concentric BB and horizontals, so again, no issue.
My buddies are running the YESS chain tensioners on an M6 and Blindside and that works awesome dealing with the chain growth and doesnt whip like a der. does.
I ride in the NW, so Hood, Post, Willamette pass, etc. I like fast, technical, natural-esque trails. Not really into the wooden bridged stuff. Im racing the fluid cup and willamette pass series this year singled out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will second the SS downhill. I've ridden like that for a while and a friend does it regularly. I can't see doing it for racing, as it just doesn't make sense where every second counts, but for general riding, it's serious business.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I predict tighter fitting, less restrictive one piece racing uniforms that are easily sublimated to look just like the current racing costumes that are in vogue.