Quantcast

The next breakthrough product

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The millyard bike is an example of where things should point to IMHO. LINK
why is that?
its a bike with a modified Nexus hub and a shock that really no one outside of Dirt has ridden but apparently is the bees knees...yet we cant know anything about it besides that it is used on a Challenger tank.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Armour needs to be lighter, and more breathable. A leatt style collar should just be incorporated into a "pressure suit" kinda thing.

I guess the variety of body types makes that sort of product development difficult.

aham73

Chimp
Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia/ San Francisco
Armour needs to be lighter, and more breathable. A leatt style collar should just be incorporated into a "pressure suit" kinda thing.

I guess the variety of body types makes that sort of product development difficult.
Good idea.

Thanks for all the great discussion guys. I'd like to mention that I'm a product design major not an engineering major. my focus is on aesthetics, ergonomics, and usability. We product designers are responsible for why your helmet fits so nicely and looks so cool, not how shock absorbent it is! :-)

Keep it coming. Very helpful. Also, think about biking as a whole, outside of just downhill.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I believe there's a lot to be done regarding:
- Suspension: true "sensing" susp. that adapts to the current workload and is independent of braking. A mechanical or electronic device that takes the accelerations and inertias imparted on the fork and changes fork settings accordingly.
^^^ this!!!
make it electronical and bluetooth accessible and tuneable via an android / iphone app and set up a forum / marketplace, where you can post and exchange settings! :thumb:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
You guys really have trouble putting your feet on the pedals?!?
Its about getting the best of both worlds. The pull and security of clipless with the feel and easy release of flats.

You could also have it integrate with the adjustable suspension others are talking about. So you could have a bike that is steep, tall, stiff, and the pedals holding tight for climbing and at the flick of a switch (or automatically) the geo slackens, the seat drops, and the pedals loosen their hold for the downhill.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
magneto-rheological shocks
electro shifting
abs or electric braking
90+% efficient shaft drive
front floating brakes
internal steering dampers
adjustable brake linkages/brake-squat "curves"
area axle paths/VST
integrated bar/crown "clamp ons"
adjustable geometry/damping based on body position

BCD and Honda did build variants on the idea but as far as I know no such thing has ever been brought to market.
I find that system nice for a DIY bike, but very low-tech for a mass produced item. That layout offers better crash/Dirt protection than a stock derailleur, but most of its drawbacks (like variable chain lenght and bulk) are still there. I have to agree that it's proven and cheaper than most BMIs, though.

why is that?
its a bike with a modified Nexus hub and a shock that really no one outside of Dirt has ridden but apparently is the bees knees...yet we cant know anything about it besides that it is used on a Challenger tank.
I'm not talking about the shock... only those who have tried can aknowledge if it really works that well or it's pure hype. Of course it would be great to have a shock like that, or like the one I described before, but we have to consider the fact that it would end the huge number of "your shock settings" threads, and therefore, reduce a substantial amount of forum discussion. :D

From what I remember, I believe that bike has many good ideas manufacturers should try. For example, the transmission. Though in the end it's "just" a nexus, it has some notable features; it's completely hidden and sealed (virtually no maintenance, adjustments, cleaning, and ultrasilent), has a constant lenght (no chain "pulls" from the suspension, no accidental shifts) and uses a BMI (again, less maintenance, adjustments, extended lifetime), and can be folded.

The back wheel has a symmetrical dishing (hence gains strength), since the disc brake stays with the frame once it's removed.

Big brands often insist that they have developed some ground-breaking technology (they invariably use a mystic sounding name for it), but in the end, the only new things we see are the paint schemes. Same bikes, same systems, same everything. :rolleyes: I'm not saying they have to reinvent anything, but if they made one or two "millyard" models for mainstream sale, it would certainly help explore new areas of the sport. Of course, that's just my point.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Its about getting the best of both worlds. The pull and security of clipless with the feel and easy release of flats.

You could also have it integrate with the adjustable suspension others are talking about. So you could have a bike that is steep, tall, stiff, and the pedals holding tight for climbing and at the flick of a switch (or automatically) the geo slackens, the seat drops, and the pedals loosen their hold for the downhill.
Magnetic pedals have been done before (not electromagnetic mind you). The problem with using rare earth magnets is that they cannot be strong enough to hold the riders foot onto the pedal for the average adult rider, especially when pulling with the trailing leg, unless the magnets are of course huge, but then there is a weight issue too. Magnets tend to smash easily on impact too.

Electromagnets could possibly solve the problem of holding the riders feet on, but where does the current come from? a battery is extra weight again and if some sort of dynamo was introduced to the system to feed off pedal or wheel rotation then drag is increased.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'd really like a bluetooth microphone/headphone set that;

A. Transmits decently through a human body(most don't have strong enough signals to pass through even a skinny person).

B. Has stereo earphones that stay on at high speed.

C. Has a noise canceling mic that works well enough that I can talk on the phone above 5 mph in open air without a client/customer having to put up with heinous wind noise. Gimme at least 15mph so that I can at minimum talk on the phone while climbing on a road bike or riding flat singletrack.

I know lots of people who could work from the bike if they could have professional-sounding phone conversation. It'd be rad for skiers/snowboarders too.
I've tried some products that almost work but the transmission quality has often been a deal-breaker.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

A. Transmits decently through a human body(most don't have strong enough signals to pass through even a skinny person).

C. Has a noise canceling mic that works well enough that I can talk on the phone above 5 mph in open air without a client/customer having to put up with heinous wind noise. Gimme at least 15mph so that I can at minimum talk on the phone while climbing on a road bike or riding flat singletrack.

I know lots of people who could work from the bike if they could have professional-sounding phone conversation. It'd be rad for skiers/snowboarders too.
I've tried some products that almost work but the transmission quality has often been a deal-breaker.
Talking on the phone while snowboarding? I already ride like I need a ritalin fix - thinking about strange stuff when I get tired. I'd kiss every tree I could spot.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Talking on the phone while snowboarding? I already ride like I need a ritalin fix - thinking about strange stuff when I get tired. I'd kiss every tree I could spot.
I have people call me a few times a day from the lift in the winter. I was thinking more of that stuff. I also like to think that I'd like to punch them in the neck to get paid for that ****.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Have you seen/tried Smith's Bluetooth compatible wireless headphones? You can listen to music and answer the phone with them. You can even dial via voice recognition if your phone supports it. I have it. Works pretty darn well. Although I haven't actually skied and chatted at the same time, but works great on the lift.

Check it

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have people call me a few times a day from the lift in the winter. I was thinking more of that stuff. I also like to think that I'd like to punch them in the neck to get paid for that ****.
Imho the idea is nice for road/xc/trailbike stuff but for snowboard I either go carve or powder and that means much concentration or crash. In dh i think its also a bit strange. Though I get the idea and I did talk on the phone a quite a few times when doing miles on my xc bike.

aham73

Chimp
Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia/ San Francisco

Take a look at my online portfolio. Link is in my signature. I did a big project designing some surround sound shoulder straps for hydration packs. Went well.