Quantcast

The next gear box?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
interesting that SRAMs taken interest, but of course there may not necessarily be the capabilities for our uses, maybe only the commuter market. Would like more info, that thing was more of a vanity piece :rolleyes:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So it looks like there's going to be Honda with their gear box, Hayes, Nicolai's G-Boxx, and now SRAM is going to have a gear box of their own...

Interesting.

I get the feeling that in about 5 years, gearboxes are going to be everywhere.

I wonder who Specialized is going to go with. Ellsworth is already working w/ a Hayes g-box on their proto Dare.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
It's been quite depressing how little the gearbox field has been advancing. "the gearbox thread" has been dead for about a year and a half. Hopefully things will pick up. This looks good, but far from ready for use on bikes. What I'm really excited for is the new Nicolai G-Boxx 2 / G-Con standard.

Or the BCD Cogbox.
Or the production version of the Honda.
Or what about the e13 Superbox, which seems to be on hold.

And yeah, I wonder what Specialized is going to go with. I wrote them about that and they replied: "Although I can't comment on what our designers have in store, I can tell you that they are aware of that technology."

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
It will be interesting to see how things play out. But only time will tell... time will tell.
I do see Specialized being one of the most likely companies to add the gear-box to their DHbike. Hopefully SRAM will come up with something good.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Like Steve siad more in depth info is needed. It seems to be like the old honda Grear box, with cams in place of a bunch of toothed rings. Maby this one works better.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
EVRAC said:
Yeah, that's my dream bike too.

Until then, I'm not buying another big bike with a rear d.
Meh. With a short cage and a derailleur protecter the Demo works pretty damn well for a bike with a derailleur. Plus gearboxes will be heavy at first.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
interesting.....

a SRAM internal hub that would be able to take offroad abuse more than their current commuter internals would rock!

something ala the Rohloff, but lighter. that is something that could absolutely kill the market, if they could do it at a competitive weight and price.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
EVRAC:
And yeah, I wonder what Specialized is going to go with. I wrote them about that and they replied: "Although I can't comment on what our designers have in store, I can tell you that they are aware of that technology."
Heh :D - Indeed they are... I have my suspicions, but no word from Sloan or the rest of the design crew... yet.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Bicyclist said:
Meh. With a short cage and a derailleur protecter the Demo works pretty damn well for a bike with a derailleur. Plus gearboxes will be heavy at first.

most will.

cogbox will be half the weight of a drivetrain and chainguide.

i will hope to have some pics of the proto next week.

alex