Quantcast

The non-alternative personal transportation thread.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Because, honestly, I can't afford most any of those fancy eco-cars or such, and don't really care.

So post up whatever cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc you ride/drive, be they more efficient than the alternatives or not.

Anywho, I've got, in chronological order of model year:

A 1985 Volvo 245DL, named "The Battlewagon".

2.3l SOHC Inline-4, mostly stock aside from a few suspension components and lots of paint and such under the hood. This thing is my pride and joy. It's getting a factory turbo setup sometime in the next year, as well as upgraded suspension and some other neat stuff. $700 to buy, probably $2500 in repairs, stereo, shiny bits, etc.

A 1986 Suzuki Savage LS650. No name.

650cc single-cylinder OHV motorcycle. Pretty simple. fun little rat/cruiser kinda deal. Picked it up for cheap, it's been lots of fun tinkering with in my spare time. $950 to buy, probably $500 in parts.

A 1987 Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooled Sedan, named "Sven".

2.3l SOHC Inline-4, but this one has a turbo. Garrett T3, all factory as of right now. Comfy, reliable, a little quicker than the wagon. Just a decent little daily driver. $550 to buy, probably $500 in parts.

A 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Intercooled Sedan. No Name.

See above. Same engine size, slightly smaller turbo. I don't really drive it all that much. $400 to buy. $0 in parts.

A 2004 Banshee Chaparral DH bike. No name.

Still being built, using parts from my old '07 Rincon.

A 2007 Giant Rincon.

Parts donor for the Banshee.

k, go.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Just one car, but it's my baby. 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L flat 4 DOHC N/A with an exhaust system and Yokohama Geolander A/T tires coming some time soon. 35% tint all around 6000k HID lights and fogs, 2200 watt sound system with Polk Audio speakers and subs with Alpine electronics

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Nice. A Subaru wagon is one of the cars I was considering before I picked up my 240, then somehow ended up with two more Volvos...

The 240's got a decent stereo in it:

Dual XDM6400BT headunit
Kenwood speakers (4" in the doors, 6.5" in the rear cargo area)
Pioneer IMPP 12" sub
Profile California CA400M mono channel amp

I need to redo the box (read: build a new one) for the sub because the current one is crap, but other than that the system is pretty good considering I got the sub and amp for free, the speakers for $50 and the headunit for $230 (it was the only thing I bought new).

I do plan on upgrading from those crap sealed beam headlights to some decent HIDs though.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
psa:

guys, dont install fake xenon lights in your cars if they didnt come stock.
they dont look cool (they look retardedly out of place) and are very annoying and blind most people out there. 99% of them are terribly misaligned.

they specially suck gangrene infected horny donkey balls if they are not around 4300ºK, which is the color which maximizes the lux per watt ratio. any other color higher than that wastes light, which pretty much defeat their whole freaking purpose!

and, if your headlamps didnt come from the factory with those magnifying glass-looking thingies inside, worse yet, the stock reflectors will throw those annoying and intense light beams right into on coming traffic retinas.

so, please, just dont.

kthxbi.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
psa:

they dont look cool (they look retardedly out of place) and are very annoying and blind most people out there. 99% of them are terribly misaligned.

they specially suck gangrene infected horny donkey balls if they are not around 4300ºK, which is the color which maximizes the lux per watt ratio. any other color higher than that wastes light, which pretty much defeat their whole freaking purpose!

and, if your headlamps didnt come from the factory with those magnifying glass-looking thingies inside, worse yet, the stock reflectors will throw those annoying and intense light beams right into on coming traffic retinas.

so, please, just dont.

kthxbi.
:thumb:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

The Racing Honda,

Ferrari Motor, Custom Radio Shack PA system and Kraco CB Radio, Nitrous and Turbo just for chits and giggles. It's really fast. It goes 0 - 60 in like a half a second. I have 2 Vanilla Pine tree air fresheners just for the ladies.....

I put a Prius battery in the back seat for when I upgarde it to a Hybrid.....

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My car is a beater...
'91 740 Sedan aka "Swedish Pride"
only mod is bike rack on top & some beer & bike stickers. she is a beast in the snow, never been stuck & she starts when it is -15º outside.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
psa:

so, please, just dont.

kthxbi.

I was completely intending to get HID-specific projector lenses and adapting them to a 4x6 headlight housing. It'll look funny, but it WON'T throw light all over the place and it WILL be super awesome and work great if I do it right.

I'm not one of those annoying ricers who thinks you can put HIDs in stock housings and think they'll work great.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I was completely intending to get HID-specific projector lenses and adapting them to a 4x6 headlight housing. It'll look funny, but it WON'T throw light all over the place and it WILL be super awesome and work great if I do it right.

I'm not one of those annoying ricers who thinks you can put HIDs in stock housings and think they'll work great.
Just get e-codes. Plenty bright and affordable. If your car is sold in europe, you can get them.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Just get e-codes. Plenty bright and affordable. If your car is sold in europe, you can get them.
Ecodes are expensive and look dumb on 240s imo. I would get some for the 760 if I cared enough (I don't though), but not the 240. 240's gonna get standard H4s to start + decently thick wiring (thinking 12ga+), then HID status once I get more money and such.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
"It's boxy, but it's safe!"
Might have to watch that movie again, there's some good lines in it. This one is for Silver
Charles Drucker: Harris. Say something honest, no holds barred. GO!
Harris: I like... small boys.
Charles Drucker: About the product, you f*cking idiot!