Quantcast

The official "Stuff we need that hasn't been made yet" thread

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Here are some of my ideas. Prrb should have put this in a bigger forum, but it seems like there's more actual makers and builders here...
I would like to see:
more durable hoodies, zip-up and standard, possibly with padded elbows?
Burly, rider friendly, street gloves(Street Fighter gloves, Brad?).
Jean friendly, low profile knee/shin armor. Gotta be super flexible to handle low seats, i.e. street/dj riders
A kickass, non gay pouch, bag, stash pocket, whatever to carry a tool, a tube, and a cash card. Either bike or person mounted.
A beefy as furk 20mm axle drilled for 1/2" or 14mm bolts to use pegs, or mount grind guards.
Self tapping, thread-in bar ends? Not sure on this as all bars seem to differ.
PLASTIC bar ends with a stlish metal insert. Can replace the plastic every month if needed, but the insert would always look good.

I've got a BUNCH more, but I'm brain dead right now...
Have at 'er boys...

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I think that it would be sick to have a street internal hub like nexus makes, but with 3-4 gears and at an affordable price, that way no more broken derailure hangers and derailures. (sorry if its already made) also for your padded jacket it would be sick if the padding was on the inside so as to it not being visable and have the outside made of kevlar/somethinge else so it would not tear cough calling rogue cough

I think that if you emailed ditey with the through axel thing they might make one if its in high enough demand and with so many people switching to more street mtb it might get put into production

edit- ah I remember nexus has the 3 speed internal hub but its for a townie and its not that great....

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have 2 old idun hoodies that have elbow and back padding that you cant see from the outside. very dope
kyle straight knee pads kick ass and are made to be jean friendly so yea its what i rock and love em.
i agree on the axle and gloves.
nycfreeride pimp dome caps in chrome- had 2 pairs that went through 2 years on 4 bikes and still look practically new. peep em out

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
More sizes on street MTBs (that's you Tonic/USB/Nemesis).

A good Marzocchi fork that doesn't need to be lowered.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Brad informed me that they already have a worthy glove at Nem Pro... Duh, I just saw them like 3 days ago!
I keep thinking someone already makes the padded "freeride" jacket...even had a pouch in the back to carry a hydro pak... WHO? It seemed a little burlier than what I want though.
And I do believe that Nexus has a 7 speed internal hub that seemed reasonably burly. Wouldn't call it bombproof, but nothing is.
And yeah, why isn't there a STOUT 2-3 inch travel fork out there?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A hub that can convert from freecoaster to regular drive.

All bars should come at 28" stock.

A light 22.2mm bar (thank you Nemesis).

BMX street/park bikes w/ V-brake mounts

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Atomlab re-released(?) an older 20" styled street tire. Supposed to be tacky and gooey, but slow, maybe?

And Nokian has the XXX or whatever, but spendy. All I know is Holy Rollers+55psi+pebbles=seat sucked into ass in panic.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Word word word. Marzocchi needs to make a "street" fork (like the old DJ street, except light like Z1s and with a burly axle).

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Stock: 110mm

Nemesis tuned: 80mm or 65mm (plus all-air spring.)
Hey, what are you using to fill/adjust your air? Aren't there supposed to be internal threads on the air fittings for the adapter for the shock pump? I've got nothing. I've just been stuffing a rubber tipped air gun into the stem and letting out what I don't need. Works I guess, just seems like I'm missing out on something...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
On my Z1? Air assist top caps. I'll snap a pic if you want to see what I mean. I could trade you one if you need, so we could both have air assist in one leg (I've got two of them).

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I have both fittings, I just don't have a "proper" way to fill them. NONE of my plentiful air chucks fits on them, my shock pump threads on, but doesn't contact the vlave.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Really, your shock pump doesn't work? You have the valve where it sticks up out of the top cap right?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Mine sits down inside there a ways, then the flat red cap spins on over it...
I've been meaning to try to get those screw on valve stem extenders like RVs and Semi trucks use? I'll try that. But mo, my Marz pump won't depress the core...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Huh, found these little beauts googleing "padded shirts". They make some neat shirts, too, but none full sleeve. They actually have a lot of CHEAP volleyball stuff out there, too. You know that stuff has to move with ya.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Well.....

better selection of good tires on the market. I love my holyrollers but why do the 24" versions only come in 2.4? they make a new 26" version in 2.2 now which IMO is much better for a rear tire. Also the hookworm...another tire i would love to try, but i never will because it only comes in 2.5! i think they would sell a ton if they made them in a skinnier version.

I too would like to see more steel 22.4 bars that aren't super heavy, although atomlab seems to be doing well with some new bars coming out.

i love the idea of a DJ/Street specific 65-100mm (or so) adjustable fork. it would be perfect especially if you could buy one right off a shelf.

more rider oriented clothing..designed by riders for the riders needs. comfortable and durable with padding added where it counts. lots of useful pockets as well.

and i would love it a ton if more companies would start making bikes that give you everything you need and nothing you dont. more SS/24" bikes that won't put a huge hole in your pocket. not that the frames from all the builders mentioned frequently in here are not worth the money...but a lot of times riders can't or don't want to throw down that much cash.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
see the problem with street frames is almst everyone wants something diff. if i only had one bike street/park bike it would be a 3-5 geared bike with a rear disc and 80mm (my secret agent) while other would take a geared 24, or ss 26, or 24 v brake, or 24 u brake, or 26 v brake, etc etc. i had GREAT luck with my tioga fs100 untill a psycho x took a screw driver to the sides. i agree hookworms in a 2.1 would be tits mcgee sauce. 1.85 holy rollers work just fine, its what i ran on the old yeti proto and loved them and would get a pair but got some free 2.4's so why bother right now. 65-100 fork would be great as well but isnt totally needed, i mean you buy a discounted zoch send it to brad and its still cheaper than a new dj or gold label (isnt the gold label about the same height at 80 as a 65 zoch??) i like the idea of an on/off freecoaster. how about one that can take a few gears??

ps the 4x is the shiz nast for a lowered street fork, so good il be rocking 2 this season.

pps i wouldnt doubt it if either of the two people/companies in my sig came out with the axel mentioned originally very shortly. high demand along with grind plates.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
cool ideas so far.
shadow consp makes a low profile knee pad to wear under jeans. they're super comfy and do not move. under the kevlar top is a plastic cap.

i think the street tire options aren't too bad. specialized, kenda, tioga, dmr...kenda has a new sig npj tire that looks nice
http://www.bike-mailorder.de/shop/Bike/Reifen-Schlaeuche/Kenda/Reifen-26-Kenda-NPJ-Signature-Kevlar-Reifen::6796.html
i like my fs100 but wish they were more readily available.

different TT sizes for the small frame co.'s would be dope.

the axle idea is great. hopefully someone (nyc,brad) will consider it

**what I really want is a co to make a V brake lever with a damn hinge or at least a removable back plate. also one that isn't over $100!

so many more ideas, this thread rules!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
135 freecoaster with disc NEXT to the driver
so your rotor is safe from peg grinds.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
- I agree with the tire selection. There's a lot more today than there was a few years ago but it could still be better. And cheaper too - why do the tires on Dan's Comp cost $15 or so? I really hate the price I had to pay to get a pair of 24x2.1 Tioga FS100's here from the UK.

- Also agree with the tech clothing. Patagonia came out with a nice hoody this year that looked cool and seemed to actually be warm. I'm not a fan of the "moto race" look or the Emo tight pants stuff. Good classic looking, clothes that are comfy, work for both riding and don't make you look like a clown. Many of the ski and snowboard companies do a good job with it.

- A fork that has the following:

- $250 price tag
- 5lbs
- couple of inches of travel and adjustable from 65-100mm by changing springs and/or spacers
- simple easy to work on internals.
- 3/8" axle capability and a dropout that would accept pegs (even tho I don't run them). 20mm are a pain in the a$$ - my Manitou takes 5 allen bolts to get on an off. A bolt on hub can be plenty stiff and seems much easier.

- More 7/8" steel bars.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Yes!!! Honestly, someone really should be able to come out with one, and be able to sell them in the $20 range.

Also different lever sizes, like odyssey does.
I know I could look into it a bit deeper but I think SNAFU may make a lever that is removable and v or normal brake compatible...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
more people riding there bikes instead of only posting them on websites...
Yeah, this goes a few different directions... I HAVE been seeing a lot of "mag ad shoot" bikes a little more frequently lately, but there's also people(like me) who pimp the sh*t out of a bike, and then DESTROY it. Not bragging, but that IS what it was purchased for, right? I don't care what it cost, if I was dumb enough to pay extra for something ONLY because it was pretty, I deserve to have to buy one again. Lately though, I've gotten into a "rat bike" mode... really stress free riding! Pimp, burly parts, just not "pretty". Raw everything, black spokes are stupid, went back to plastic bar ends(you know you can get those on Ebay, like a dozen for a few dollars? And they last longer than AL, I think...). I've made it my new mission in life to replace all the clearcoat on my raw BM Riot with concrete rash. Doing pretty good so far....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Maybe I crash and sliiiide, while you crash and stick? Or, possibly I crash WAY too much..er...I mean it's from resting my bike against the wall outside Shakers...Yep, that's it. I'm there a LOT....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OK.. anyone ever heard of the Swedish Tire loc?? It's a kevlar tire insert designed to keep a large diameter truck tire on the rim, no matter the condition of the tire. It also acts as a 40mph run-flat. I have thought about contacting them(I've done so before in my 4x4 days, it's a pain in the ass...they ARE Swedish!) to see if they would be interested in entering the mtb world in the form of either a "tube" or as a similar run flat design for mtbs. Kevlar doesn't expand. So basically, once inflated it reaches its predetermined size and stays there, no matter what. Slightly flexible, as in not solid, but not squishy. As a runflat in a mtb tire, it would prevent pinch flats, as you still have to run a tube on top of it, it would just keep the rim from ever contacting the obstacle threatening it. I have no idea what it would act like as a tube. BUT, we(street/DJ riders) run normally hihg psi, or at least I do. It might work VERY well for this. Just enough flex where it matters, but it will tighten up as soon as it is compressed. A thought...