Quantcast

The Orange Bike Thread

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Not the best pic, nor a total Orange bike, but my wife's VP Free has an orange swingarm (she wanted the bike to have a Halloween theme, hence the color combo) -

Notice the snow! That race was cold (as you can tell by my expression...)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
'Uster have one-a-them orange Surly Instigators, with an orange Jr. T on it. Alas, lost to the sands of time now (and a headtube ovalization...)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sweet, I can play now.
It has been way too many years since I owned a hardtail.
In the first week I had it, I did two long trail rides one of which includes a rough local DH race course on the loop. I went to a slalom course twice,
and I hit my jumps at my house on it.
It lives up to its name.:cheers:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sweet, I can play now.
It has been way too many years since I owned a hardtail.
In the first week I had it, I did two long trail rides one of which includes a rough local DH race course on the loop. I went to a slalom course twice,
and I hit my jumps at my house on it.
It lives up to its name.:cheers:

Nice Chameleon!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just out of curiosity, did you consider going w/ a cove handjob? Essentially the same bike, but made out of steel in Canada.
Hey Burly,
Yeah I did. Actually I considered every single hardtail on the planet.
I knew what geometry I wanted and also frame size was important.
I needed to build one hardtail, that was a slalom race bike, a DJer and a trail bike. The geometry on the chameleon was a little tighter than the Handjob with shorter chainstays, and my top tube is 22.5.
On a slalom course it feels perfect, but its a small bike on the trails.
I went with a layback post which helps some as well.
This bike was not going to be my main trail bike, bit if I was building a hardtail for trail only, I probaly would have ended up on a steel frame designed for trails like the handjob.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey Burly,
Yeah I did. Actually I considered every single hardtail on the planet.
I knew what geometry I wanted and also frame size was important.
I needed to build one hardtail, that was a slalom race bike, a DJer and a trail bike. The geometry on the chameleon was a little tighter than the Handjob with shorter chainstays, and my top tube is 22.5.
On a slalom course it feels perfect, but its a small bike on the trails.
I went with a layback post which helps some as well.
This bike was not going to be my main trail bike, bit if I was building a hardtail for trail only, I probaly would have ended up on a steel frame designed for trails like the handjob.
Let's not forget that an aluminum frame's larger tubes has more room for bee stickers.