Quantcast

The Otter!

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Ill be running the beg. clydesdale XC with my brother. Were camping in lot 6 i think, should be a good time, beer FTW!
JP
And our dad will be running the beginner 40+ Clydesdale. It'll be the first time out for the lot of us, I can't frigin' wait.

Dan <= Jeff P.'s brother

Im liking the chances tho... thursday is supposed to be AM showers than sat theres a %30 chance and hey thats good enough for me and it could be tinkles :P on the news this mornin the rain on sat they said that it may turn south and hit so cal so we can only hope

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
That's weird... I heard that the rain that was supposed to hit Silicon Valley turned north and is supposed to hit the North Bay tonight.

Haha... Meteorologists actually know nothing. I'm positive.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Trike class racing tip: Take the huge basket off to save weight and run 24s out back to slacken it out a bit. Make sure the walker is securely tied down.
I actually switched the basket out for a carbon fibre (yes, I spell it F-I-B-R-E for the 7337 style of riding) one. It's actually lighter than not having a basket at all.

Lock on grips were a must, and I did install some 14" drilled/slotted Wilwood 4-pot brakes on it, for that stop-on-a-dime power.

I'll have to order up some old BigHit wheels for the rear. Thanks for the tip! :lol:

On the bright side, I checked the weather report, and it looks like they're expecting dry weather starting tonight all the way through next week so the courses should be PRIME at The Otter.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
It was just starting to rain a little in Monterey when I left for work this morning, so everything will be just a tad bit moist, perfect. I'll be heading out on a XC ride past Laguna Seca tonight on puddle recon.

Just found out from my work that I get thursday and friday off, I only asked for a couple hours each day to practice, but they gave me the whole thing! Whose going to be practicing those two days? I'll be there for sure 1-3 pm for sport men.

Oh, and Mike- two words: Cutting Brakes.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just got back. Got a few practice runs in a walked the course right before going home. The course is dry and dusty and fast. Weather was sunny and super windy to the point boosting too high off of some of the jumps would get you blown to the side a bit. Super fun, I'll be out there again tomorrow.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm still here. (free wireless internet - SCORE!) but yeah like Brian said, its super dusty. But tomorrow its supposed to be raining so well see how much better it gets. =]

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just got back home. Before my race run I was adjusting my brakes and my rotor caught my finger. It cut in super deep and also made under my fingernail turn purple/black almost immediately.

On my race run a blew the first few table tops because I was trying to balance my bike away from my hurt finger and I think that cost me some serious time up top. After that, the table top before the little fallen tree hop I again messed up on my balance and stomped my foot down super hard. My calf is super sore now.

After all of that the rest of my run was really nice and quick. I felt really great and pretty quick through the bottom section. I ended up getting a 2:54.06. I heard the guy say I was in 8th at the time. I'm sure I have been bumped quite a bit since then, but I will just have to wait and see.

How did everything go with you guys?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Haha! Josh - your race run is going to be one of the faster times. Just after you went down the hill, everything got held up due to some guys who jumped on the course. Once that got going again, everything held up one more time due to some timing issues. I didn't get up to the starting gate until probably 11:20 or so.

During that whole time, the weather went to heck and it POURED. By the time we all got restarted, the course was pretty much turned into a river. Guys were tossing off their goggles mid run to be able to see better and mud was all over the place. I managed to pull down a 3:13.04, and I think the fastest guy in my class rocked a 3:04 ro somthing like that.

It was still super fun though. Everyone spectating was going off because of all the mud and slippage everywhere and it got you super pumped to ride harder. I could barely see and ended up with a face full of mud by the finish. Most fun I've had in the mud on a bike since I was 12.

Josh, saw you going down on your run. Saw the miss-hap at the first table and was thinking, "man, that's not like Josh?" Bummer about the finger man...ouch. At least you got a dry run in. I ended up standing in the rain for almost 45 minutes due to all the delays. (Typical SO.) Anyway, since I wear contacts, I had to stick with the gogs. I basically did the course blind. Hitting the double log step down was an exercise in faith. I saw the lip, but never saw the landing. I nosed it in pretty heavily, but managed to keep it together. Thank you 888!!!

I ended up with a 3:11:8' for 1st place.

The good:

The sketchy:

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
Just got home, ran beg. clydesdale. I cam in 13th my brother beat me by 4 seconds. I believe my time was 1:33:07 or something like that. Awesome event had tons of fun and didnt crash...badly anyway... XC course was a sand pit but still fun. I didn't get many pics but hopefully i will be able to post what i have tommaro.
JP

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Did terribly. Fell off my bike on one of the last little off-camber areas. Guy behind me passed me. Another MAJOR indication that I'm racing out of my class. Snarled up my leg a little bit in the process.

I felt good up top, and felt good in the middle, but the rain totally and completely threw me off. My glasses were coated in mud.

F*ck poachers by the way... Stupid little groms. Apparently that is why we all got held up at the top for 30 minutes. Had they not jumped the course, I would have had a chance to race in the dry weather.

The Sea Otter DH is mayhem every year.

Will they ever be able to get it together? I think not.

My otter was faily good. It was my first time racing as a Jr.X on the national Level. In DS I qualified 9th wearing my loafers hehehe (i'll post pics when i get em) made it into the 2nd round. first run was on the Blue lane (slower lane) and amado got a .3 Differential. 2nd run on the red lane, i was feeling good, all my practice runs on the red were solid and my qualifier was a 39sec. I wanted to get the edge on Amado at the top, so i added a few strokes into and down the right hand roller thingy. then washed out on that tricky left hander.... ubber bumbed. Good race Amado! :clapping:

DH- I didn;t bring my Demo due to a Broken rear hub, so in 3 practice runs i used my Commencal Meta 4x (course was little too rough for me) then a versus trigger (thanks adam for letting me borrow) then my friends V-10 for the 3rd practice run and race. out of the gate i came unclipped. then crashed or washed out in the first corner for and unknown reason. the rest of my run was pinned and flawless. I dun know my time nor my result.

Good otter over except for Saturday when it pissed with rain.

the Between the Tape premier was DOPE !!!! hella good movie! I can;t wait to buy it

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My otter was faily good. It was my first time racing as a Jr.X on the national Level. In DS I qualified 9th wearing my loafers hehehe (i'll post pics when i get em) made it into the 2nd round. first run was on the Blue lane (slower lane) and amado got a .3 Differential. 2nd run on the red lane, i was feeling good, all my practice runs on the red were solid and my qualifier was a 39sec. I wanted to get the edge on Amado at the top, so i added a few strokes into and down the right hand roller thingy. then washed out on that tricky left hander.... ubber bumbed. Good race Amado! :clapping:

DH- I didn;t bring my Demo due to a Broken rear hub, so in 3 practice runs i used my Commencal Meta 4x (course was little too rough for me) then a versus trigger (thanks adam for letting me borrow) then my friends V-10 for the 3rd practice run and race. out of the gate i came unclipped. then crashed or washed out in the first corner for and unknown reason. the rest of my run was pinned and flawless. I dun know my time nor my result.

Good otter over except for Saturday when it pissed with rain.

the Between the Tape premier was DOPE !!!! hella good movie! I can;t wait to buy it
Ah hey, I met you. I was Kyle's buddy. We met in the motor home.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Josh, saw you going down on your run. Saw the miss-hap at the first table and was thinking, "man, that's not like Josh?" Bummer about the finger man...ouch. At least you got a dry run in. I ended up standing in the rain for almost 45 minutes due to all the delays. (Typical SO.) Anyway, since I wear contacts, I had to stick with the gogs. I basically did the course blind. Hitting the double log step down was an exercise in faith. I saw the lip, but never saw the landing. I nosed it in pretty heavily, but managed to keep it together. Thank you 888!!!

I ended up with a 3:11:8' for 1st place.

The good:

The sketchy:
Congrats Rich!!!!!

Now if I may present you with this award.............

;););););)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice work Rich!

Yeah the top was pretty sketchy with me for sure. I sprinted my ass off towards the bottom when I didnt have to worry about jumps.

Anyone know of any sites with pictures of the non-pros racing? Maybe number 596 by any chance? =]