Quantcast

the prototype Ohlins fork (moar pics)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
foes has been doing the 30mm axle/hub for years. it makes sense when you don't have unified lowers. it's what sram does except they actually do it for real, not with adapters that defeat the purpose.

that being said, current fork chassis technology is far removed from 2001, and I'm not sure that the USD fork makes sense any more.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
The new front hub + almost certainly astronomical price make me e-cringe.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is this an actual OOouuhlins product or another random distributor putting dampers into garage-manufactured enclosures?
Who is "TJ"... doesn't sound like a swede? I don't remember Morgan Hill being where Ohlins HQ is located.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well what they need to do is invent something that makes it work, look, and operate like a regular fork, but keep it inverted. that's better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Localised gravitational acceleration inversion.
One of the many features of RUX™

Now available as an upgrade for inferior suspension:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
foes has been doing the 30mm axle/hub for years. it makes sense when you don't have unified lowers. it's what sram does except they actually do it for real, not with adapters that defeat the purpose.
yep. my 16 year old F1 uses a 30mm axle with adapters but the XTD's didnt

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL

that being said, current fork chassis technology is far removed from 2001, and I'm not sure that the USD fork makes sense any more.
Carbon was mentioned for production build.heck ohlins could be sold for 5000£ and teams buy them for performance alone.its no any sense for average buyer.

I wonder how much carbon can be used? Everything except bushing,seals and thin aluminium inner stanchions ?

Theoretically, I think inverted are better. But again nothing can beat 380/Boxer for value yet. Oh that Rux too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Name an inverted motorsport fork that uses aluminum stanchions. In other words, have you ever picked up a set of moto forks?
Yes, the reason why it's "not the same" is that non-inverted moto forks generally don't use brake arches, so there's not much difference between an inverted or non inverted moto as far as torsion, they rely on huge crowns (some don't even have a "steerer tube"), stanchions and hubs. One of the main issues they have to deal with is someone casing a double, which is where the bigger uppers of an inverted can help, but in the bike world, you can get the same benefit by just making your stanchions bigger on a non-inverted, and if you do, you retain your brake arch and significantly better torsional resistance.

The only way an inverted makes sense if if fork travel goes significantly beyond 8", because then you need it for the bushing overlap, otherwise you get ridiculous extended lowers, like the Super Monster for example, but then you're going to have to make the fork so massive for the torsional rigidity that your net result might be a slower bike, rather than a faster one.

Now, all that blah blah said, carbon does have the ability to give you super-rigid structures with lower weight. While you'd still get a lighter and more rigid structure with a non-inverted, a carbon inverted with with maybe one-piece uppers and lower crown might be marginally heavier than a non-inverted and viable from a rigidity standpoint (like RS1).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Carbon was mentioned for production build.heck ohlins could be sold for 5000£ and teams buy them for performance alone.its no any sense for average buyer.

I wonder how much carbon can be used? Everything except bushing,seals and thin aluminium inner stanchions ?

Theoretically, I think inverted are better. But again nothing can beat 380/Boxer for value yet. Oh that Rux too.

I honestly thought this was going to be a winner:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Nope. Top teams aren't buying anything. Don't kid yourself. Unless Ohlins sponsors them they will ride sram who pays them actual money.

Also you overestimate the possible performance upgrade. I bet the fork will be very good but it's not like Avalanche, Bos or even a properly tuned fork from the big guys works much worse.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Also you overestimate the possible performance upgrade. I bet the fork will be very good but it's not like Avalanche, Bos or even a properly tuned fork from the big guys works much worse.
You are talking about an industry that pushed two complete new wheel sizes through although there are only minor (if at all) performance upgrades. If Öhlins hypes the fork enough they will sell like sliced bread.

BTW: the real benefit of an USD is that you can use the same chassis to accommodate all three (current) wheel sizes and possibly also most of the PLUS sizes. So smart move for a smaller manufacturer to go that route.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You are talking about an industry that pushed two complete new wheel sizes through although there are only minor (if at all) performance upgrades. If Öhlins hypes the fork enough they will sell like sliced bread.

BTW: the real benefit of an USD is that you can use the same chassis to accommodate all three (current) wheel sizes and possibly also most of the PLUS sizes. So smart move for a smaller manufacturer to go that route.
not to mention you're not dumping money into a set of casting molds.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you guys are all forgetting the most important part of inverted forks. They look hella moto, especially when you slap a T.H.E. fender on that shit!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Have we confirmed that it's actually made by Ohlins yet? The hardware, crowns etc don't look like factory ohlins.

What's the rake situation on this proto? Hub axle looks rather forward.

PS The hub clamps in the picture look like giant, heavy pieces of aluminum.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You are right that it's cheaper. This is why Avalanche made their inverted forks for so many years, because manufacturing an inverted fork is relatively easy, you can just CNC and machine tubes and crowns, etc. If you are going to make a non-inverted fork, you don't really have any cheap options. You have to CNC from a massive block of aluminum like the old limited production Super T, which is incredibly wasteful and still expensive, or invest in lowers-casting equipment, which is probably best farmed out to taiwan or china due to the expense. When you decide to change your travel or some spec, the change is relatively easy with a machined inverted fork.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I honestly thought this was going to be a winner:
When it came out it was. It weighed nothing.

It was just twisty as shit.

That non-inverted DC specialized fork that came on the enduro SLs was stiff as hell. They just couldn't figure out how to make a damper that wasn't one long extended spike. I drilled out some stuff on mine, and replaced the oil with some super light stuff and it got better.

Current pikes make all that shit irrelevant though. 36s too for that matter.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
If you are going to make a non-inverted fork, you don't really have any cheap options. You have to CNC from a massive block of aluminum like the old limited production Super T, which is incredibly wasteful and still expensive, .
the super just had a bolted brace, so no trickier than an inverted in terms of custom fabrication; you're just adding hardware weight, and (i'm assuming) losing stiffness with the 3 part interface (though i imagine if they were keyed together this could be minimized).

random drift - actually appears they used two different brace arrangements - one with conventional face bolting, and another with a brace that appears to have integrated pinch bolt collars that clamped onto the lowers. neat! i used to lust after these forks.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I agree, current forks have done away with so much of the nonsense that even haters like me can't say it doesn't work better.

That being said, the fork in the picture is the DUC36, which had carbon one-piece uppers, 36mm stanchions, the same through-bolt steerer and massive axle with idiot QR system. I was hoping it would fix much of what people didn't like about the duc32.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the super just had a bolted brace, so no trickier than an inverted in terms of custom fabrication; you're just adding hardware weight, and (i'm assuming) losing stiffness with the 3 part interface (though i imagine if they were keyed together this could be minimized).
You realize the legs on those forks were CNCed from massive blocks of aluminum, right? The non-pro models (as in "production") were incredibly expensive to manufacture. The first ones were something outrageous like $2400 or so, then it came down to something like 1800, but still massively expensive for the day. Once the "pro" models came out they went to the casted aluminum lowers.

Last edited: