Quantcast

The REAL Prime Ministers (hayes brakes)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
lookin so good!

Features of these brakes include:

Poppet Cam - deadstroke adjustment, increased fluid flow, improved durability.
Top Hat Reach Adjustment - consistent power throughout stroke, regardless of lever position.
New Light Weight Rotor.
Tool-Free Reach Adjust - one the fly adjustment
Top Loading Pads - easy to change pads without removing the wheel.
New Pad material and design.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I wonder if these could restore my faith in Hayes?
At this point I doubt it but never say never I suppose.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
What is with all the dislike towards Hayes? I know the nines had problems, but I ran Mags for a long time and never had a problem...(until Mammoth).

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
You must have never experienced El Camino's or the sticky levers of the first gen. Strokers...

Saying that,a friend of mine who just got picked up by the HBG had a set of the 2010 Stroker Ace's on his bike today and dang,they feel rock solid.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This MC ergonomic style is being used by various brands now. It was used years ago too, it works fine.

New Formula One

Old formula brakes - 4RacingDH

Really old formula brakes - 4Racing

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
also, saints and XT's.

I, my roommate, and my riding buddy all had the sticky pistons. Took 5 minutes to fix and felt rock solid after that. Hayes are solid brakes, they have good power.

That said, I wont run anything with a pivot further from the bars then saints. That was what drove me to eventually sell my stroker carbons. Brakes were powerful and light, and very reliable.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
also, saints and XT's.

I, my roommate, and my riding buddy all had the sticky pistons. Took 5 minutes to fix and felt rock solid after that. Hayes are solid brakes, they have good power.
I had that problem with the M775 first year release too and fixed it but then I sold the bike. Must be tight tolerances? Its never come back for the three of you? I didn't have them long enough after I fixed it to see if it was just a break-in issue which is what I assumed. Loved them otherwise, even better than the generation before which was reliable, consistent, and cheap.

I don't think the ergonomics for the new Hayes or Formula will be all that different though other than the lever blade shape.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I wonder if these could restore my faith in Hayes?
At this point I doubt it but never say never I suppose.
Strokers restored mine, went away from the nines and mags when i couldnt keep a lever adjusted throughout a run, and had to keep a small allen at hand.

What is with all the dislike towards Hayes? I know the nines had problems, but I ran Mags for a long time and never had a problem...(until Mammoth).
Sometimes when someone gets abad taste, they just cant get rid of it.

whoa UGLY, i can't help but think that having the pivot three feet from the handlebar will result in poor ergonomics.
I thought the same thing at first, but the radial design lever works effin AWESOME. Give them a chance, youll be pleasantly suprised how good they feel and work.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
How's the lever on Hayes brakes, now? Is it as ergonomic and comfortable as Avid or Formulas?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
How did you fix the sticky stroker levers? I have a friend with them and i have tried everything to fix, they always come back in a day or so.
I took the lever cover off, cleaned them out, and rebled. Been perfect ever since. If you call hayes and tell them you have the first gen levers that were a touch sticky, they actually have a kit for them that includes a bleed kit, and a tube of asembly grease. What they want you to do is rebuild teh lever... takes maybe five minutes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
How's the lever on Hayes brakes, now? Is it as ergonomic and comfortable as Avid or Formulas?
I think its better than the Avids by a long shot. You can adjust the lever to damn near right on the bar if you want, and its damn near perfectly straight with the bar when you have them cose like that. Ill take some pictures tonight of the radial lever design mounted on the bike for those that are not sure.

As for the new design.... I gotta say, I like the new adjustments.... Specially the dead stroke adjustment.... That would be a pretty cool adjustment to have

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Their new floating rotor will come in all sizes from the 6'' all the way up to oversized 9'' rotor,so i think they are designed to be used from XC to DH.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Xm and AC possibly some FH and DR! But thats only speculation!!!! LOL

Hayes did a pretty decent job on the mags and they were decent, I rode a hayes 9 that would scare the skittles out of you. The damn thing could stop a semi truck, literally a freak of a brake (on front too LOL), loved that thing but unfortunently the others I tried never compared and had issues.

It will be good to see them have a flagship brake again that works, looks great and I like the adjustments. Nice features, give people adjustments and they will tinker with em...

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Has this not happened with every Hayes brake in the past few years? There's a buzz about how great they are/going to be, then on release it turns out they're nothing special and everyone just shrugs and continues using Avid/Saint etc.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Has this not happened with every Hayes brake in the past few years? There's a buzz about how great they are/going to be, then on release it turns out they're nothing special and everyone just shrugs and continues using Avid/Saint etc.
No its not the usuall this time everyone will go to formula! :thumb:

Hayes has to hit it right one of these times, basic didnt work out that well so maybe robobrakes will!!!

I wont ride Hayes but Id like to see them have success with this one, they are a pretty decent company and took care of issues in the past.
Great CS and really cool people!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
does anyone know if these are compatible with Avid Match Maker? these look like a really nice step up for Hayes and the floating rotor is a nice feature especially if it is part of the standard kit (included with the brakes and not a separate upgrade).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How have they not had success since the inception of the Stroker line (well, other than the typical bandwagoners didn't flock over for a season)? I loved my Stroker Trails and have loved my Stroker Aces even more.
I saw a ton on clearance and not a ton on the trail!

Marketing and purchases are part of success, a product can be the best thing going but if its tainted or lost its public draw from previous issues then the success of the product is not there!

- I dont consider OE a success (for the compony it is a huge success) for the product rather for the companies bottom line, ie KENDAS more parents purchase them because they came stock on there bikes but real world is a different story for our use-
Your more likely to see them on a guys bike they were speced on rather than a custom build.

Im sure it works greaet I myself wont be jumpin on the hayes wagon I had way too many issues in the past. This is what Im talking about they are cool but a little too robotic and high tech looking for me, I'm sure as far as braking they are great and for everyone that buys them congrats! :thumb:

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Way to many bad things with all of my old Hayes brakes, both 9's and Strokers.

I'll stick to my Avids. Awesome Experiences with Juicy 7's, Codes, Elixir CR's and Elixir SL's.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Note to brake makers from the Sports Science community;

You guys have no clue what you are doing in regard to ergonomics.

Thanks
Or they just favor other things over ergonomics. Most people wouldn't be aware the benefits without both to compare with some significant use.

That's why US labor laws mandating for widespread better ergonomics in the workplace got shutdown early on during the Bush administration. Nobody complained because they didn't know what they were missing and workplace ergonomics are much more important than something like this. Most people still use horrible traditional keyboard and mouse setups too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Note to brake makers from the Sports Science community;

You guys have no clue what you are doing in regard to ergonomics.

Thanks
I know this is a tough concecpt to get, but the radial lever like this, from any of the manf's, is more ergonomically correct than non radial designs.

I went from mags to uicy sevens because they were advertized as "the" brake to have, for power, ergonomics, reliability<Pffft, that part def a lie> ETC...... I had a rediculous amount of problems with the avids, air in the lines, boiling fluid, inconsistant lever position during a run......
Went to the strokers with a bit of disbelief myself, mounted them up and My initiakl impression was an overwhelming feel of comfort with the lever position. Of course they needed to break in like any other brake system, Couple weks into it, and best thing I can say is....... Lever was always in the same position, top of the run, bottom of the run, long decents, smoking hot..... Lever was always in the same spot, didnt pump up, didnt fade, good pwoer and modulation, little noisy but most brakes are.

GRemember, more and more manf's are going to a radial lever design because the ergonomics fit better. It looks funky when off the bike, when its mounted it is more fitting to the eye.... Give me ten minutes, Ill take some pics.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Couple pics finally, ****ty cellie pics, but hopefully they can help with the ergo concerns......

Really is a super comfy brake lever to use. BUT so is the Saint, the formula, the xt, any of the radial style levers really are quite amazing how good they feel

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I ran mags and the F-ing seal between the caliper halves gave out. Under hard braking you could see fluid being squeezed out of the caliper. Then I got the HFX9, talk about ****ty quality. So now Hayes has finally come out with a pinned rotor like most are using, some lever adjustments, and a two-peice caliper (again). Not sure why anyone would be very interested, most other companies have something at least as good or better, unless of course these are going to cost $100 per side or less.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's a sign of a comeback like Jm_ complaining about the boxxer when SRAM was stepping up their game:rofl:

A video from their site...