Quantcast

The Smell in my Messenger Bag

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Everything that I put in my messenger bag absorbs the funk of the bag. A t-shirt left in there over night stinks too bad to wear.

I've been a fan off dirty old bags that smell horrible for a long time. They tend not to get messed with.

But I need to do something soon. I don't really want to wash it and remove all of it's natural defenses, but the smell is getting to me.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Get a new bag. Have you ever seen that seinfeld episode when the car smelled like B.O and they could get the smell out? Well if you have seen it I think you are in the same situation.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Buy a new bag, and don't be so lazy about it's security. Letting your poor bag fend for itself and all. :disgust1:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Just put a bounce dryer sheet in there and call it a day.
Did that with my goalie bag for 8 years. Worked well enough for me.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
have you tried ozium? You get it at car washes. Incase you don't know what it is. It is an enzyme that gets rid of bad smell.

Maybe a fresh urinal cake ought ta do the trick. They smell bad but not that bad.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
wash your bag you damn hippie
:stupid:

I don't really want to wash it and remove all of it's natural defenses, but the smell is getting to me.

Natural defenses, what the heck does that mean? You wash it in mild detergent (not harsh detergent) and then you can redo the Durable Water Repellency. The DWR ceases to work, anyway, when the bag is encrusted with grime and sweat.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
:stupid:

Natural defenses, what the heck does that mean? You wash it in mild detergent (not harsh detergent) and then you can redo the Durable Water Repellency. The DWR ceases to work, anyway, when the bag is encrusted with grime and sweat.
I make jewelry and sometimes I carry work in the bag. The worse the bag looks the least likely it is going to be stolen. A nice, shiny, clean, professional looking bag is a dead give away for thieves. But a nasty ass worn looking old messenger bag doesn't draw attention. Well, except for the smell.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Let it lay in the sun. Since moving to SoCal, I have aired my hockey gear out in the blazing direct sunlight after playing...no stink left. And nothing funks like old hockey gear...

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
The hockey gear was the key to my strategy as well. In my home town (rural NW Ontario), the Canadian Tire store has a chamber that you put your skanky, old hockey equipment in and it "treats" it with some germ killing vapor that gets rid of the stink. When I was there this summer, I used it on my boxing gloves, a messenger bag and a pair of tights in it. It worked perfectly.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I make jewelry and sometimes I carry work in the bag. The worse the bag looks the least likely it is going to be stolen. A nice, shiny, clean, professional looking bag is a dead give away for thieves. But a nasty ass worn looking old messenger bag doesn't draw attention. Well, except for the smell.
OK, that's camoflauge. Makes perfect sense now.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
let the small rapids of a local stream run through it for a while then stuff some leaves and a little dirt in there, rinse and repeat. Used to do that with the ol' trout fishing creel a while back.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Thats funny...I was talking to a guy about that tonight at shinny hockey. How well does it work?
I was a skeptic (Georgin Carlin style- let your immune system practice) but I am really impressed. My gloves were the worst-smelling articles of sporting equipment that I've ever owned and they came out in good shape and took at least two months to start stinking again. It wasn't long after I got back in the gym that I watched a staph infection take over a tiny cut in a training partner's hand and was doubly thankful. As someone that never used to wash any gear, I am a convert.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
But hockey gloves get such a nice, mildewy stank to them after awhile...

Ever leave your kit in the car after summer league? On a nice, hot humid August day?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm going to try spraying the inside with some cheap Fabreeze nock-off stuff.

If that doesn't do it then into the washer it goes.

I noticed that one of the Fabreeze versions contained an anti-bacterial agent. Could this be used as deodorant as well ?