Quantcast

The Snowshoe Info Thread

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm posting this thread on behalf of Snowshoe and a request from a few of the heads wanting me to just post general information.

The lift will be running on the Western Territory July 4th weekend for Monster Park. This event is going to be huge and amazing to watch so come out to snowshoe to ride and enjoy the competition. The list of riders is posted at Ride Snowshoe.

As of now we will not be able to sustain running the lift on the Western side every weekend due to the cost of starting the lift but it will be run for Monster Park, Norba, and Mayhem in the Mountains. More date possibilities are still to be discussed but not sure as of yet if they will happen. The plan is to one day have this lift all the time on the weekends but we can not do that till the riders come out and the program grows. The shuttles do run every 30 minutes though on the western side so besides having to ride crosstie and the road to it their is no downtime and you can get in tons of runs on the weekends.

Lots of people ask about Powerline the "A-Line" trail it has been muddy due to the top portion of what is done now being on a spring but we are working our hardest to get the trail in top shape. The 3 main tabletops on it were put together wet so they are hard to dry out but give it a few weeks when the evening storms are gone and it should all dry out. The trail will be continued to the top and hopefully by the end of the season be totally a jump trail from top to bottom with a good amount of jumps and berms. The best way to find out about trail conditions if it is open is to call the MAC Center and find out as trail conditions aren't always updated on the website automatically.

Lastly the drop park is almost finished with a earth mover coming into fix the tranny and the biggest drop still to be put up after but here are a few pics.

Any questions feel free to PM me or post and I'll try to help.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
is that third shot the stepdown on the eastern side? that thing is so smooth. i think i might have been the first one to hit that 2 sundays ago. ( there were no bike tracks and the thing was covered in cat tracks.)
got to get over to the west side next time, is that where the drop park is @?
thanx for the info!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
spacemanspiff06 said:
is that third shot the stepdown on the eastern side? that thing is so smooth. i think i might have been the first one to hit that 2 sundays ago. ( there were no bike tracks and the thing was covered in cat tracks.)
got to get over to the west side next time, is that where the drop park is @?
thanx for the info!
That 'stepdown' was actually the place they were getting ready to put the drops in that are shown in the first 2 pictures.

I'm very surprised that you didn't get to the Western Territory,that is what MAKES this mountain what it is. The 'drop park' is technically those 4 drops in the pictures Mobius posted,but the Basin side/Ballhooter lift is the area with the man-made North Shore-esque stunts and tight,technical,twisty trails intertwined between the stunts.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Thanks for the update.

Drop park? Must be new to me, that wasn't there opening day.

Anyway, looking good, I'm coming back for more riding the weekend of the Monster park.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
They just built it on Saturday.

As for Powerline, I rode it on Sunday, it was mostly just tacky mud, so it wasn't completely sketch. The jumps are easily clearable and the lips were packed down enough.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Oh yeah, and mad props to Snowshoe people. Theres a ton of trails now, I believe 5 new ones on the western side this year. Sweet Dreams is by far the coolest one there, its just wide open drift turns on soil, two nice drops, and a cool "Durango style" double log drop.

No props goes to the riders. Where is everybody??? This place is ready to get some serious traffic, but so few people are showing up. On Sunday I saw less than 10 riders all day. Cmon people.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Wow, the new features look super cool. Does anyone know if snowshoe is having the Super D race like they did last year during the mayhem race weekend? I didn't race it last year because I didn't know what to expect, but I had a lot of fun riding the course during practice. Many other DH racers seemed interested in racing it after seeing how cool the course was. I didn't see it listed on the racers edge site, I hope they have it this year. Are there any other super d races around here this year?

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
DHanamal said:
Oh yeah, and mad props to Snowshoe people. Theres a ton of trails now, I believe 5 new ones on the western side this year. Sweet Dreams is by far the coolest one there, its just wide open drift turns on soil, two nice drops, and a cool "Durango style" double log drop.

No props goes to the riders. Where is everybody??? This place is ready to get some serious traffic, but so few people are showing up. On Sunday I saw less than 10 riders all day. Cmon people.

That sucks about the turnout. Could it be that a ton of people are going to diablo? Ive been there almost every weekend and its always packed.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I e-suspect it's due to having more larger cities in closer proximity to Diablo.

With Snowshoe, there are no large metropolitan areas within 1 hours driving time.

Personally I could care less, it gives me more time to ride and less lines at the lifts.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
If this place is gonna stay open and or become the "whistler of the east" we damn well better head out there. Anybody from the dc area wanna share gas? Tell me a weekend, and I will do it. I have a pos car that can hold 3 bikes (bring your own 20mm axle adapter if you have such a fork) and I'm planning on driving out sometime soon in any case. I am a decent rider but I've never been to a park before - so I would prefer to go out with some people who are in the same situation. Anyway, nobody should be going out there alone. We need to get carloads of people out there. I know there are riders who want to go.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I don't know about the whole "whistler of the east" label.

And fyi, Snowshoe, Whistler and Diablo are all owned by the same corporation.

Snowshoe has just gotta be Snowshoe, just give the people working there another few years to really work their magic.

I mean riding powerline on opening day and then seeing the pictures of the beginnings of the drop/jump park just makes me want to keep going there. And then hearing that over the coming seasons powerline will keep growing further and further up the mountain, Snowshoe will rock even more in another few seasons. I still haven't even mentioned the other new trails on the western side, which also rock.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
DHanamal said:

COuldnt have said it better. Sweet dreams was amazing. The 2 durango style drops scared the piss out of me, but it hit em. Very Very mad props to the Snowshoe people. There weren't that many people there saturday either. I maybe saw 30 different riders at most. Still, it was off the hook. If anyone finds a digital camera up there, my buddy lost it today (monday) It's a kodak and the only pics on it should be of snowshoe. If you find it, give me a call, cuz it's actually my camera that I let him borrow.... :help: thanks

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
It's just frustrating to see how many people come to that place in the winter to ski/board. That place is packed, it's tough to find a room on a non-holiday weekend, let alone Christmas. So people are willing to make the drive. Plus their room rates are dirt cheap compared to wintertime, as low as $84 per person for hotel room and lift ticket.

If they could get half the amount of riders they got opening weekend, consistantly every Sat/Sun, that place would be exploding.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Monster Park will be a good reason for folks who haven't checked the place out to check it out. The Monster Park event is a real positive for the program.

Just an idea, it might be nice to see a laid back series of races or something up there. Maybe something like those North Shore Ripper Races...

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
damn it andrew, if i had know that the stiffer was heading out to snowshoe this weekend, i would have had him pick me up that derailleur and crank arm you "borrowed" from me at the US Open.

although i hear that you bitched out and didn't ride after work on saturday or sunday? there better have been a woman involved....

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Snowshoe is a bit of a haul for a lot of people I suspect. Strangly enough, Diablo, from Baltimore where I am, is actually a good 2 hours closer (4h versus 6h). I have been to neither however since I know very few people in Baltimore in my immediate group of friends who ride and/or want to ride more FR/DH stuff, that are willing to go. Any trip out to Snowshoe has to be a 2 day weekend deal or more since no one (read: me) wants to spend more time driving then actually riding.

I'm still dying to get out there though. I have my digital camera and digital videocamera both all ready to rock, my brass balls are packed, and my new motto "better too fast and long than too slow and cased" ingrained into my head. Hopefully I can find some willing poeple in the area to go with in June or July.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I think the main problem with snowshoe is the fact that it is not a major metropolis such as diablo and whistler. I think people just need to get on it and drive. I drove 4 hrs here and back in the span of 2 days last year to ride and it was well worth it. Hope everyone comes out to checkout the place especially on monster park it is gonna be huge.

Will yeah i punked out i didnt feel much up for riding this weekend i was beat from earlier that week. The derailler exploded on me but i have your crank in my room.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I agree with everything everyone is saying in this thread. We need to get out there and RIDE, show the guys funding the park down at snowshoe that they need to keep pumping money in! This place will destroy the freeride scene on the east in the next few years, 2 years ago there was very little freeride type stuff going on now look at it!

It does suck that it is in the middle of nowhere...I am in pgh, and know a bunch of guys in the DC area that say it is a haul as well. If i had people to split up some of the cash, i would be there almost every weekend!

Just keep promoting it! :thumb:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
One of the biggest reasons I have heard from people about not making the drive is the fact that they dont run the big lift. I have been coming up for years and riding the shuttle with no problems, but alot of people dont think it is worth the drive without the lift.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
They want to run the Western Express lift every weekend next year, but that's up to the riders. They have 5 new trails on the Western Side, and when Monster Park is in the books, they can get a few more going this summer, all in the western side. I agree that the shuttle isn't the best method to access the trails, but the shuttle should run every 30 minutes, so you can still get a bunch of good runs on the westside, then cruise over to the basin and ride the chairlift. Attendance needs to get up, and even more will follow through at Snowshoe.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
One of the biggest reasons I have heard from people about not making the drive is the fact that they dont run the big lift. I have been coming up for years and riding the shuttle with no problems, but alot of people dont think it is worth the drive without the lift.
I agree.

I remember opening day, I loved bombing down the western side, finishing my run and then hopping on the lift. Riding the shuttle is ok, but it limits the amount of runs you can do per day on the western side. It's great for people who want to take their time on the runs for pictures and what not, but for people like me who just want to bomb down a trail in a few minutes and then get back up to do it again might not enjoy having to wait around just to get back up to the top.

I can only see the western lift running every weekend if there is a larger increase in revenue from mountain biking.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
denjen said:

This is a huge deal, i personally do not like the shuttle at all, takes waaaaaaay too long depending on if you hit it or not when you get to the bottom. It kept me off the western side for most of my time last year, however this year should be different, with the new trails on that side...

SNOWSHOE GET THAT LIFT RUNNING!

Whats everyone's take on taking a 5x5 trail bike to snowshoe? I've ridden the freeride park and the expert DH course on an AS-X last summer but now have a trail bike and am interested in checking out some of the new trails. Are their plenty of bail out lines if I dont want to take my bike off the larger drops? Are the new western territory trails too much for only 5"?

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
caboverpete said:
Whats everyone's take on taking a 5x5 trail bike to snowshoe? I've ridden the freeride park and the expert DH course on an AS-X last summer but now have a trail bike and am interested in checking out some of the new trails. Are their plenty of bail out lines if I dont want to take my bike off the larger drops? Are the new western territory trails too much for only 5"?
Powerline and Sweet Dreams would rule on a 5x5.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Dartman said:
For your information...

I'm coming up to Snowshoe this weekend!

Mike
Cool I will have someone to ride with. It looks like I will be going up by myself for the weekend. Buzz went last weekend and has a race this weekend.
I am heading up friday around 5 if you want to carpool

Dennis

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
caboverpete said:

I rode a trek liquid 20 on the freeride park and the DH trails. I did fine. You have to be a little more nimble on your bike, but it's a blast. Especially sweet dreams