Quantcast

The Stooges (Iggy, not Curly)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so i can check another one off the list...saw the stooges (original lineup, minus the dead bass player) Sunday night. they played in dublin castle, in the courtyard. very cool setting to see a band actually, right smack in the middle of dublin castle. perfect weather too. anyway, to those who appreciate rock in its most simplest, direct, and powerful form, the stooges should be no stranger to yr record collection. the amount of bands they influenced is huge, almost up there w/ the beatles and the velvets i'd say. and while everyone knows iggy, the ashetons (ron and scott) were a vital part of the whole sound. not exactly sure how this reunion came to pass (watt filled on bass...if you don't have any minutemen records close at hand, please rectify that dire situation pronto), but they are playing a bunch of shows in europe this summer, and i for one am glad they made it over here. the crowd was a very interesting mix of people...some looked like they caught stooges shows back in '69, others looked like they just crawled out of the IT lab, a few had some vintage mohawks going.

anyway, iggy came out of the gates snarling and prowling, wearing only a pair of tight jeans, kicking the show off w/ "Loose" (all photos from www.soulfluff.com).

it only got better from there, as the 1st two lps were unfurled in their thuggish glory (note - james williamson took over for _raw power_, so no "search and destroy", "gimme danger" or "shake appeal"; they did play a couple tunes from the new lp). at one point iggy decided he needed some irish dancers so about 15 or 20 people clambered on stage during "No Fun" and other other tune. it was fun at first but he should have banished them after the 1st song; it got too distracting esp when one of the girls decided she no longer needed her top.

aside from that, the only other minor quibble was that they played "i wanna be yr dog" twice. i guess they ran out of material, as they closed their show w/ it after playing it early on. kinda lame, but at least it's a kickass song. oh yeah, i'm not sure who was playing sax, but he did a stellar job on "fun house", evoking images of great free players like ayler, sanders or mitchell.

here's a few more shots of mr osterberg:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
man, he has to be doing crystal meth. all the meth dudes here look just like that.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think he's pretty much done any drug which ever existed. before they played "Dirt" he said that it's something he's very familiar w/ and has been for a while. i think he's clean now, but certainly the intake had to have some effect.

not sure how old he is, but he's still got plenty of energy left. in comparison, ron asheton looked a bit like michael moore. watt had that elliot gould/trapper john (M*A*S*H) look going on w/ the big 'stache.